Commercial rating instructor near DC

JRam

I'm looking to start pushing towards my Commercial rating and eventually my CFI/CFII. Are there any recommendations on someone in the DC area? My bird is currently based out of Manassas. Although I am on the waiting list for a hangar (there and one other airport), so I could be somewhat flexible.

5 hours ago, JRam said:

I'm looking to start pushing towards my Commercial rating and eventually my CFI/CFII. Are there any recommendations on someone in the DC area? My bird is currently based out of Manassas. Although I am on the waiting list for a hangar (there and one other airport), so I could be somewhat flexible.

Will you be training in your 231, or renting something cheaper to fly?  I know a couple of instructors in your area, but I'm not sure how much Mooney 231 time they have.

42 minutes ago, Mooneymite said:

Will you be training in your 231, or renting something cheaper to fly?  I know a couple of instructors in your area, but I'm not sure how much Mooney 231 time they have.

It'll be in my 231. I am comfortable in the plane at this point. Having some mooney time is helpful, but really focused more on the commercial and CFI efforts rather than aircraft specific.

I'm also starting to work on the Commercial, but I'll be looking for a CFI who knows and flies a Mooney. I took a non-Mooney CFI up with me two years ago to work on the commercial maneuvers. I paid him at least $120 for him to learn how to fly just a couple of the commercial maneuvers in my Mooney before he could teach me to fly them. I said no thanks, I'll find a CFI who already knows how to fly a Mooney.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

I'm also starting to work on the Commercial, but I'll be looking for a CFI who knows and flies a Mooney. I took a non-Mooney CFI up with me two years ago to work on the commercial maneuvers. I paid him at least $120 for him to learn how to fly just a couple of the commercial maneuvers in my Mooney before he could teach me to fly them. I said no thanks, I'll find a CFI who already knows how to fly a Mooney.

Yep, same boat, can't seem to find a CFI (that I like) with Mooney time. The one I used for my IR is now a DPE and stays busy out of town. With the rule change I'm considering knocking the Commercial and CFI out in the Cessna

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

That's a very interesting point. I didn't think that they would have to know the plane since the goal isn't keeping me in the air, but ensuring precision is there with the maneuvers. Maybe I'm looking at this the wrong way.

1 hour ago, JRam said:

That's a very interesting point. I didn't think that they would have to know the plane since the goal isn't keeping me in the air, but ensuring precision is there with the maneuvers. Maybe I'm looking at this the wrong way.

They (CFI) needs to be able to demonstrate the  maneuver 

Yeah the maneuvers are all about speeds, energy management, and power and our Mooney’s differ considerably from the Cessnas and Pipers they usually fly. An experienced Mooney CFI should know the specifics for the Mooney and so we’re not flying around at Advanced instruction rates while he figures out the correct speeds and power settings.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1