Its been a good run

Fellow Mooniacs its with mixed emotions that I make this post.  As some of you who attended this years Mooney Summit where I presented know, I have sold my Mooney and now own a Cirrus SR-22.  Nothing will change my love for Mooney's and my Eagle will always be my favorite Mooney....but as the family gets bigger and heavier and the spouse more risk averse the parachute became a deal breaker for her to fly in a light plane.  So my fate was sealed.  

IMG_3424.JPG

• Like 2

Now you just get to dream about when you have a Mooney as your SECOND airplane! :D

Good to see you last week, George. I’ve started working on my continuous turn landing patterns. It needs some work but I can see the potential benefit.  I’ll keep practicing!

• Like 1

People who argues about the usefulness of BRS is missing the point.

Ultimately, it's the PERCEIVED usefulness that matters.

To some pilots including myself, it's useful if used right. To many non-pilots, it's useful. Period. 

• Like 4

Great presentation, George!

I got two Circular patterns completed that were worthy enough to mention...

Bank angle... Not exactly set it and forget it... but pretty close.  I probably got extra lucky...

What engine do you have in that there powered parachute? (Sense the humor?)

Does your SR22 have the IO550(n)? 

The n has lighter cylinders with a different cooling fin design...

For some reason Mooney is staying with the (g) version...

IT was nice to see you.

Bring the 22 to a NJ Mooney Pilots fly in... You might have to park it over by the P46T and V35B...

:)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

Nice looking new bird George! Is it weird not being able to tuck the gear up flying an XC plane? I never think about it flying low and slow in taildraggers. It seems like I’d feel the desire to “clean up” the airframe of an XC machine in the climb and it might  take a while to be content with the gear hanging out.

2 hours ago, GeorgePerry said:

as the family gets bigger and heavier and the spouse more risk averse the parachute became a deal breaker for her to fly in a light plane.  So my fate was sealed.  

Should have gotten a skyhawk then... 

16 hours ago, Niko182 said:

how does the 22 compare to the eagle?
its rare to have an unbiased person here.

The SR-22 has LOTS more room inside and with A/C its very comfortable for long trips.  My plane has a 1020 lb useful load with A/C so with slightly reduced fuel I can carry 4 normal sized adults.   Also the doors make getting in and out alot easier.  The mooney shuffle across the front seats is fun but can be a PITB.  Speed of the SR22 is slower.  LOP Cruise in the SR-22 is 155-160 knots on about 11.7 Gal/hr.  In the Screaming Eagle it was 170 knots on the same fuel burn.  ROP there's about a 10 knot difference in real world conditions too. I'd see 180 knots ROP in the M20S and 170 knots in the SR-22.  Climb is better in the eagle and that's thanks to Mooney's long corded wing.  I'd see 1500 ft/min in the eagle compared to 1200 ft/min initial climb in the SR22.

I will say that all these comparisons are meaningless if your spouse won't fly with you.  So even though I prefer the way a Mooney feels and flies, for me the safety factor with the CAPs overwrites all of the Mooney's performance advantages.  Both planes are great in their own way...just a different philosophy of design.  The SR22 is a great plane and fits the bill for my family and the added safety of the CAPs over mountainous terrain and the occasional night flight are worth it.

Hope that answers your questions.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Wayne Cease said:

I'm always surprised how much speed the TKS wing loses. I flew a 2002 G1 with a clean wing and regularly flew 170 knots LOP at 12.5 gph.

My previous SR-22 would do 173 KTAS on 13.5 GPH.

My previous 231 would do 170 KTAS on 10.0 GPH.

170 KTAS in my current Baron takes about 9 GPH . . .  per side.

• Haha 1

George that’s a really nice looking cirrus and cool 4 blade MT. 

Speed aside you are getting useful load.  Cirrus has been finding new and better ways to up useful load such that George can do 1000 Lbs UL with about 150 lbs of TKS, AC and parachuting equipment.  Mooney hasn’t figured out the UL part of the equation in the last 45 years of mid and long body production  That is something to consider even when losing some efficiency.

George-

Thank you for sharing about the SR-22!  Congratulations on the purchase.  Also, thank you for presenting at Mooney Summit.

The Cirrus is a good airplane.  Flying both now I do prefer the Mooney as a pilot - however the cabin size of the Cirrus is better for passengers.  I actually do not find the seats in the Cirrus as comfortable as the brand new interior in the Mooney Ultras (which also have two doors).  Cirrus interiors are better than any four place single prior to 2000, but the new interiors of some manufactured aircraft are beginning to keep up.  The Cirrus seat is better than my interior, but not as good as the new Ultra seats.

I have noticed that you really have to be on speed and have similar finesse to a Mooney to properly land the Cirrus.  Other types, Bonanzas, Cessnas, Pipers - they tend to be much more forgiving in the flare and landing than a Mooney and Cirrus.  A Mooney will float 100 feet for every knot you are fast at the flare.  A Cirrus if under 80 knots, will drop and you'll lose elevator authority and smash it on.  With the Cirrus you fly it into the flare with power and then power back and hold it off for a smooth landing.  You fly it to the runway, not glide it to the runway.

Without question the Mooney is faster and more fuel efficient.   I like having separate control for the prop and throttle instead of a combined lever, but I do appreciate the simplicity of one lever (mixture is separate).  I also prefer a manual transmission automobile of automatic for control, feel, and fun.  The Ultra's avionics are in the same ballpark of the Cirrus suite, however a 3-4 year old G-5 Cirrus has depreciated to half the cost of a brand new ultra.  That said, with tax planning, depreciation, a business use . . . a new plane may make sense with warranties, the 3 year fill and fly (annual, oil changes, maintenance, etc) , vs a slightly used aircraft.  That's a different aircraft all together than a 10-20 year old bird, or a 30 year to 50 year old aircraft.

Both good airplanes - I prefer the Mooney, however if my spouse ended up in the Cirrus for a few flights, I'm curious what she would want.  She did say our next airplane would be pressurized and large enough for two car seats and a stroller (may need to seat 5 in the future - not anything to announce right now if ever).  The parachute is a tool in a bad situation.  I don't like the idea of flying with a live rocket taking up potential useful load, but I'd rather have the parachute than not.

Continue to stay on Mooney Space George!  I'll also follow up with you regarding Mooney Summit.

Take care,

-Seth

• Like 3

On 10/6/2018 at 9:24 AM, mike_elliott said:

.hummm....activity for next year's Summit, Therapy sessions for those that went to the plastic world... But George, you are on your way to recovery, the first step is to admit the problem :)

Hey, hey, Mike,

Be careful there!!!

Tom

• Like 1
  • Haha 1