"SabreCowl" Update (part tres)

So I have a C model.  1968  I had been planning on converting to the E engine and Loprosti cowl.  Still love that one.. but the price is just WAY high.  If I went to your Gen 2 cowl with the C 180HP engine, what would be the amount of work cowl wise to switch to the E engine later when its time to overhaul.  Mostly I am wondering if it is a different design or similar enough that with a few changes we would be good to go.

Thanks

Also any issues with the Power Flow Exhaust if I went with that?

Thanks

-Derek

3 hours ago, Ghostrider said:

So I have a C model.  1968  I had been planning on converting to the E engine and Loprosti cowl.  Still love that one.. but the price is just WAY high.  If I went to your Gen 2 cowl with the C 180HP engine, what would be the amount of work cowl wise to switch to the E engine later when its time to overhaul.  Mostly I am wondering if it is a different design or similar enough that with a few changes we would be good to go.

Thanks

Thanks

-Derek

Hi Derek,

My Gen 2 cowling will fit the C and if you change to an E, you’ll need new baffling and the induction system for a fuel injected engine. The cowling is the same. Shouldn’t be any clearance issues if you install a Powerflow exhaust.

Thanks, 

David

Edited by Sabremech
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, wcb said:

And how is Gen 2 coming?  I hope to still be in my correct spot in line :)

Finalized the cowling design and finish work going on right now on the prototype. Once the prototype is complete, we’ll make the molds and make the first parts. It’s coming along slowly and steadily now.

David

Edited by Sabremech
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Ghostrider said:

Thanks

Thanks

-Derek

Great long term planning, Derek!

Entry level C, graduating to a forever plane, completing life as a great retirement plane, E..?

How long have you had the C so far?

Best regards,

-a-

9 hours ago, Ghostrider said:

Thanks

Thanks

-Derek

Not to derail, but how do you plan to get the engine? I don't think there are any C models that have been converted to an E. I thought about converting my G to an F when it was overhaul time, but it would have cost pretty much what I paid for the plane to get it done, at minimum.

17 hours ago, AlexLev said:

I don't think there are any C models that have been converted to an E.

https://lasar.com/mods/

Look down the page and you will see that they have an STC for it, so there must be one or two out there that have done it.  I prefer the 'C model, looked at 'G models when I was considering.  Cheaper overhauls.  Not that much difference in speed.  My 'C has the powerflow exhaust and someone who has flown both 'C and 'E models says that it flies like an 'E model without the conversion expense. (But that's another rat hole to drop down, there are many who would say that there is no difference with the change of exhaust).

On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 7:05 PM, Sabremech said:

Bob, I can’t tell you how glad I am to hear the results of the inlet rings on your bird. It fits consistently with the three models now that have the larger rings ( E, F, & G) all with similar results. 

Since the original rings were the identical size as the LoPresti inlet openings, it stands with good reason to believe that anyone experiencing CHT problems with the LoPresti cowling, to enlarge the openings to 5.75 inches. 

Pricing is estimated at around $6k with new cowling, baffling, induction system and spinner. 

David

I have the Lopresti "cowling" (actually its a lot more then just a cowling) I haven't had any issues with hot CHT's to speak of.