Mooney 2; Birds 0

exM20K

You should report the bird strike to the FAA.  Here is a link https://wildlife.faa.gov/strikenew.aspx.  You can also send in some of the snarge and have it identified to help identify what type of birds are being hit.  Here is a link to the details for submitting the snarge for identification. https://wildlife.faa.gov/birdremains.aspx

• Like 2

1 minute ago, skydvrboy said:

You should report the bird strike to the FAA.  Here is a link https://wildlife.faa.gov/strikenew.aspx.  You can also send in some of the snarge and have it identified to help identify what type of birds are being hit.  Here is a link to the details for submitting the snarge for identification. https://wildlife.faa.gov/birdremains.aspx

I did tell ATC, but I'd forgotten about that link. thanks. Line service earned a nice tip cleaning it up during my meeting, so no remains to send.  Plus... duck season not open till the 20th... 

-dan

6 hours ago, steingar said:

Can't believe a bird flying high enough to hit an airplane could eat grass.  Not a lot of energy density.

Back in January I flew past a flock of geese at 8,500'. I was heading west and they were going east, fortunately they were about a mile off my wing. (I'm assuming they were geese, I don't know anything else that flies that high in a "v" formation.)

1 minute ago, Skates97 said:

Back in January I flew past a flock of geese at 8,500'. I was heading west and they were going east, fortunately they were about a mile off my wing. (I'm assuming they were geese, I don't know anything else that flies that high in a "v" formation.)

I'm sure you've heard, but to anyone reading. Don't fly under flocks of geese. They will dive on you. 

IMG00300.JPG

http://hangarspinning.blogspot.com/2010/11/whats-that-goose-doing-at-6500-feet.html

4 minutes ago, Antares said:

I'm sure you've heard, but to anyone reading. Don't fly under flocks of geese. They will dive on you. 

IMG00300.JPG

http://hangarspinning.blogspot.com/2010/11/whats-that-goose-doing-at-6500-feet.html

Yes, I was taught most birds will drop a wing and head down. There are a lot of birds around some of the airports here and while I haven't been too close to any I have observed that behavior numerous times.

14 hours ago, exM20K said:

I did tell ATC, but I'd forgotten about that link. thanks. Line service earned a nice tip cleaning it up during my meeting, so no remains to send.  Plus... duck season not open till the 20th... 

-dan

Yeah.  Aviation is expensive enough without paying out of season hunting fines.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MBDiagMan said:

Yeah.  Aviation is expensive enough without paying out of season hunting fines.

A local meat processor has a sign out front:

We process deer during all three hunting seasons--bow, gun and car.

I'm sure similar things could happen with planes and birds if it wasn't so hard collecting the carcasses afterwards . . . . .

On tuesday, We missed a bald eagle by 50-100 ft while descending through 4000 at 170kts.  I was busy looking for two other planes nearby that were on my screen.  By the time I saw it, there was no time to maneuver.  It tipped its wings and dove.  It was slightly below and to the right.  Be careful out there!

How high do geese fly?

Canada geese fly in a distinctive V-shaped flight formation, with an altitude of 1 km (3,000 feet) for migration flight. The maximum flight ceiling of Canada geese is unknown, but they have been reported at 9 km (29,000 feet).
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lesser_Canada_Goose

32 minutes ago, Pritch said:

How high do geese fly?

Canada geese fly in a distinctive V-shaped flight formation, with an altitude of 1 km (3,000 feet) for migration flight. The maximum flight ceiling of Canada geese is unknown, but they have been reported at 9 km (29,000 feet).
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lesser_Canada_Goose

Holy hell! FL290!?! Don’t they need oxygen too for such a cross country journey? This may suggest birds are of the devil...and as such, we pilots are justified in being a little devilish ourselves....

Edited by One Whiskey Hotel

On 10/4/2018 at 7:35 PM, Skates97 said:

A B2

On ‎10‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 3:30 PM, steingar said:

Can't believe a bird flying high enough to hit an airplane could eat grass.  Not a lot of energy density.

While that may be a grass stain, it is more likely that it is from the grass eating bugs that the bird had eaten. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, One Whiskey Hotel said:

Holy hell! FL290!?! Don’t they need oxygen too for such a cross country journey? This may suggest birds are of the devil...and as such, we pilots are justified in being a little devilish ourselves....

They are canadian geese.  Maybe the canadian version of the FAA doesn't have the same oxygen rules? :)