Annual Ouch

Eraaen

My first real Ouch of an Annual: 1980 231K/Rocket

IFR Cert $300. Oxy Bottle Hydro ??$350-$750 est. Belly Beacon inop $272 (but found a aero adaptor so that it sits higher in the belly!! that might give me an extra 1/2 kt)L & R fuel tank sending units leaking $71. Nose gear link $798. Nose gear center bolt $136. L & R aileron rod end/bolts $98. RT flap has two rod ends worn and jackshaft $895. rudder rod end #3 worn $50. Pito heat inop $1145. L and R main gear retraction bell crank $1,200. Plus a few other little items, Plus labor for all of these, plus reg annual cost. etc etc.  this is all normal wear and tear I suppose.  I have to expect some of it from a 38 yr old airframe.

BUT, the biggest.. and I'm looking for help here. Is the Emergency Gear Manual extension cord actuator (it works if you pull on it gently, but it is "ratcheting"/ slipping if you are in the OH Sh*T, my gear isn't coming down mode..  Mooney will not supply kits until Jan 2019.  Laser has a overhauled unit.. for  GASP!! $7,650. I'm betting the overhaul kit (whenever it comes out) and labor to overhaul it will probably be around that price tag.  I'm shopping, but if anybody has any leads I'd sure like hear about it.

I can sympathize, since we just had our most expensive annual since purchase in 2012. 

IRAN mags, repair fuel seep at rt tank sender, find and fix oil leak on #1 cylinder and replace vacuum pump (new pump was owner supplied).  Those and a few other discrepancies, including inspection, came to a total of $1800 parts & labor.

Nice to have a simple manual-gear Mooney.  Hope we can get back down to under $1k next year.

1 hour ago, neilpilot said:

I can sympathize, since we just had our most expensive annual since purchase in 2012. 

IRAN mags, repair fuel seep at rt tank sender, find and fix oil leak on #1 cylinder and replace vacuum pump (new pump was owner supplied).  Those and a few other discrepancies, including inspection, came to a total of $1800 parts & labor.

Nice to have a simple manual-gear Mooney.  Hope we can get back down to under $1k next year.

Ouch,, way to rub it in.  Mine have usually been around $2k, except for the time we found a cracked Turbo.  This could be coming in close to $16,000.  Approx 10-11% of the planes value and it certainly won't increase it's value.  There goes my engine reserve.. and it totaly throws that cool 4 blade prop out the window.  AND, I just got my 2017 taxes wrapped up.  Time for a big Bourbon.

1 hour ago, Hyett6420 said:

Thats the one, thanks Dave.  I cant work out how this damn search engine here works, but i knew i had posted a otn of photos about that damn back spring.

I can't either, so I use this one.

image.png.6d3c4cf633e22c34416735310ab8ceae.png

• Like 3

@Eraaen I'm curious how long you've owned this M20K? Or how many other annuals you've been through with it. I'm just trying to learn and come up with some way to avoid this type of situation with my own K.

What I've been trying to do with mine... is do continual maintenance throughout the year so that when the annual rolls around, it's pretty much just a formality. I probably spend more $$$ this way, but it's spread out over the year and I don't notice it so much. 

Maybe everyone is doing this and the risk of the big annual bill is still lurking out there...

3 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

Maybe everyone is doing this and the risk of the big annual bill is still lurking out there...

I do the same Paul and it is now as my Mooney is having its annual done as I type.  The prospect of that phone call followed by a big annual bill always makes me nervous, but that is all part and parcel of aircraft ownership.

On another note, what a fantastic resource this forum is.  @Hyett6420's (Andrew's) informative post and other MS's recent posts re the importance of fuel injection system overhaul in a recent thread prompted me to tell my mechanic I want my Bendix system overhauled in 2 years, which will be 12 years after the last overhaul.  I asked when does this normally happen and he said at engine overhaul or on condition.  I thought that is not good enough as on condition could be 20 plus years.

I would not have known of this important issue if not for this forum.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Eraaen said:

this is all normal wear and tear I suppose.

Well I might disagree. Most of what you mention probably has to do with lack of lubrication. This stuff didn't just happen in one year. I, too, would like to know how long you have owned the airplane. If its "normal" wear and tear, it would happen with some frequency. A well lubricated Mooney does not "wear out" those items with regularity, especially all at one time. 

Whats wrong with the nose gear link? Worn bushing? Lack of lubrication

The nose gear bolt? Again, lack of lube

Left and right main gear retraction bellcranks? What's the issue here? Worn bearings? Again, lack of lube. These are not "normal" wear and tear items. 

All the rod ends you talk about are from lack of lube and didn't just happen in one year. I tell every owner I see that they should lube all their exposed rod ends every month or 2. It takes all of 4 mins as you walk around the airplane. We have had rod ends completely frozen on several Mooneys due to lack of lube and rust. In fact, a couple have actually broken in flight due to this. 

Your "Alternate" gear extension system can be repaired. It can also be found in a good used parts bin. Again, this didn't just happen this year. Its been building up for several years. 

I do feel sympathy for your "surprises" this year. Its not nice to have that phone ring with your A&P on the other end. 

The best thing you can do for your new car is frequent oil changes, the best thing you can do for your Mooney is lubricate every moving joint a couple times a year. BTW, even if you don't fly it LUBE it. Oil dries out just sitting there. 

The other google way is mooneyspace.com "what ever you want to search"

For that price for a rebuilt unit, it might be good to have a competent A&P go through it.    What has been found is just lubing actuators and things and getting the 400 year old grease out of it will fix many ills.

3 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

@Eraaen I'm curious how long you've owned this M20K? Or how many other annuals you've been through with it. I'm just trying to learn and come up with some way to avoid this type of situation with my own K.

What I've been trying to do with mine... is do continual maintenance throughout the year so that when the annual rolls around, it's pretty much just a formality. I probably spend more $$$ this way, but it's spread out over the year and I don't notice it so much. 

I've owed for 5 years.  I too attempt to keep on top of maintenance.  I have a squawk sheet for each oil change, a couple of the rod ends were replaced when I purchased.  Cliffy, as far as lubrication goes.  Nope, this is the first aircraft that I have purchased on my own.  The first that I have been responsible for maint issues.  I have never oiled/lubed these items outside of an annual.  Maybe my bad/ I wasn't aware it needed to be done that often.  For an aircraft that flys approx. 200hrs a year,(well maybe not that much anymore) it's in the shop often enough and stored inside.  I haven't dug into logs to see if/when they had ever been replaced or serviced before.  I've kind of been relying on my shop manager (who seems to know his Mooneys.)

59 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

I don’t get the price to hydro the cylinder. It takes about 15 minutes to remove the cylinder. The local cylinder shop will hydro any cylinder for $25

It costs $25 to hydro test a portable cylinder at a welding shop.  multiply that by 20-30 times for anything officially aviation certified :huh:

Cylinders are not "FAA Certified" The installation is FAA certified but the cylinder comes under DOT regulations as the DOT controls pressure vessels in the USA.

That's why the FAA defers cylinders to the manufacturers recommendations. If you have a fire extinguisher in your airplane, it requires an inspection as per the label on the extinguisher. If you look, as on the small ones used in Robinson helicopters, they require a weight check every 30 days to stay legal.   Any 135 operator has to follow this with logging the weight check every 30 days. As 91 operators we don't do that for the most part. 

To add- There are actually 4 governing agencies involved with O2 pressure cylinders. 

The following comes out of the 8900 FIMS manual from the FAA (Sept 2016 is the latest revision I have)

Pay attention to the last sentence of 3-4546  A 2), and the last sentence

of 3-4546 A 4)    This all pertains to "installed" cylinders. What you can or can't do with portables is beyond this discussion. 

Recertification can be done by any facility that follows 49 CFR 180.205 Google it if you want more info. Unfortunately I'm one who sits up at night reading esoteric and mundane rules and regulations. I have no real life I guess. 

VOLUME 3  GENERAL TECHNICAL ADMINISTRATION

CHAPTER 57  MAINTENANCE REQUIREMENTS FOR HIGH-PRESSURE CYLINDERS INSTALLED IN U.S.-REGISTERED AIRCRAFT CERTIFICATED IN ANY CATEGORY

Section 1  Safety Assurance System: Maintenance Requirements for High-Pressure Cylinders

3-4544    REPORTING SYSTEM(S).

A.    Program Tracking and Reporting Subsystem (PTRS). Use PTRS activity codes: 3694, 3341, 3351, 5694, 5341, and 5351, for Title 14 of the Code of Federal Regulations (14 CFR) parts 91, 125, 129, 133, and 137.

B.    Safety Assurance System (SAS). Use SAS Automation for 14 CFR parts 121 and 135. This section is related to SAS Element 5.2.4, (OP) Passenger Handling.

3-4545    OBJECTIVE. This section provides guidance for the maintenance requirements of high-pressure cylinders installed in all U.S.-registered aircraft regardless of how the aircraft is operated.

3-4546    GENERAL. The regulatory requirements to maintain, store, and handle aircraft high-pressure cylinders that contain hazardous materials (hazmat) have been a source of misunderstanding within the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) community. This section will provide information and guidance for the maintenance requirements of high-pressure cylinders installed in U.S.-registered aircraft. This section will also explain the applicability of cylinder requalification requirements for high-pressure cylinders contained in the Hazardous Materials Regulations (HMR) of Title 49 of the Code of Federal Regulations (49 CFR) subtitle B, chapter I, subchapter C.

Indicates new/changed information.

A.    Requirements. There are unique aspects to consider in the FAA maintenance requirements related to high-pressure cylinders installed in an aircraft and different Department of Transportation (DOT) maintenance requirements when the cylinders are not installed in an aircraft.

1)    Each high-pressure cylinder installed on a U.S.-registered aircraft must be a cylinder that was manufactured and approved under the DOT requirements of 49 CFR or under a “special permit” issued by the Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA) under 49 CFR part 107. There are no exceptions.

Indicates new/changed information.Indicates new/changed information.

2)    Each high-pressure cylinder installed or offered for installation with intent to transport on a U.S.-registered aircraft is considered to be an aircraft part and is regulated under the maintenance requirements of 14 CFR appropriate to the type of aircraft and type of operation. In this case, 14 CFR restricts cylinder maintenance to removal, installation, servicing, and inspections (service life and requalification date checks, pressure and weight checks, serviceability/damage inspections, etc.). Cylinder repairs and requalifications are accomplished under the requirements of 49 CFR.
3)    Each high-pressure cylinder that has been removed from a U.S.-registered aircraft and not otherwise intended to be re-installed is not considered to be an aircraft part. For the purpose of overhaul, repair, and testing of the cylinder, such as hydrostatic testing, Title 29 of the Code of Federal Regulations (29 CFR) and 49 CFR, not 14 CFR, regulate the continued serviceability requirement.

4)    Each high-pressure cylinder installed in a U.S.-registered aircraft may remain installed past the time when its 49 CFR-required requalification is due, provided the cylinder is not removed from the aircraft. A cylinder that is past the date when its 49 CFR-required requalification is due may not be installed, serviced, or refilled until it has been requalified by a person authorized under the appropriate provisions of 49 CFR.

5)    A high-pressure cylinder installed in a U.S.-registered aircraft may not remain installed past the airframe or cylinder manufacturer’s service life limit date.

B.    Focus of the HMR. The HMR provides instructions for the safe transportation of hazmat in all modes of transportation, not aircraft maintenance. The HMR does not have provisions for maintenance of aircraft parts.

C.    Hazmat Table. Title 49 CFR part 172, § 172.101 contains descriptions of the hazmat’s proper shipping names and other references for the safe transportation of hazmat.

3-4547    BACKGROUND.

A.    Previous Events. There have been events involving high-pressure oxygen cylinders. Most of these events have not involved the structural integrity of the cylinders, but have involved fires attributed to servicing the pressure cylinder while the cylinder was still installed aboard the aircraft. There have also been instances where cylinders that have not been properly approved under 49 CFR have been installed in U.S.-registered aircraft. Many of these events have been attributed to the absence of scheduled maintenance requirements and adequate maintenance procedures.

B.    Regulatory Requirements. High-pressure cylinders containing hazmat and used as aircraft equipment are subject to regulations in four different areas of the CFR that are administered by four separate regulatory agencies. These areas are as follows:

1)    As discussed above, the HMR is codified in 49 CFR. The HMR is broad in scope and covers all of the elements related to the safe transport of hazmat by any means, including the qualification, maintenance, and use of hazmat packaging or containers. Hazmat sent using commercial transportation and/or other methods must comply with the HMR. These regulations apply to those who offer, accept, or carry hazmat to, from, within, and across the United States. PHMSA promulgates and administers these regulations.
a)    PHMSA has delegated administration, surveillance, and enforcement of those specific parts of the HMR related to the transportation of hazmat by air to the FAA’s Office of Security and Hazardous Materials Safety (ASH). For more information, refer tohttp://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/ash/ash_offices.
b)    PHMSA has retained administration, surveillance, and enforcement of those parts of the HMR related to the qualification, requalification, maintenance, and use of high-pressure cylinders.

2)    Title 29 CFR codifies other regulations regarding the safe handling of hazmat when it is not being offered, accepted, or carried with the intention of transporting hazmat. The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) promulgates and administers these regulations.
3)    Title 14 CFR contains regulations specific to hazmat training, which relate to the transportation of hazmat by air. There are no specific 14 CFR regulations that deal with the maintenance of pressure cylinders that contain hazmat.
4)    The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) is another agency that becomes involved if the hazmat receives a waste classification. The EPA promulgates and enforces regulations related to mitigating or eliminating the effects of hazmat on the environment. Title 40 of the Code of Federal Regulations (40 CFR) contains these regulations. A few examples of aircraft hazardous waste are expended or expired chemical oxygen generators, oils, fuels, and/or other fluids.

3-4548    HIGH-PRESSURE CYLINDER MAINTENANCE.

A.    Installed Pressure Cylinder Maintenance. Title 14 CFR maintenance requirements appropriate to the type of aircraft and operation regulate pressure cylinders installed on a U.S.-registered aircraft. In any case, the maintenance that a provider may accomplish while the cylinder is installed in the aircraft is restricted to the replacement, servicing, or inspection of those cylinders. This is consistent with the meaning of the term “maintenance” in 14 CFR part 1, § 1.1. This is also consistent with 49 CFR part 175, § 175.8, which states that pressure cylinders installed in a U.S.-registered aircraft are not subject to the HMR. This exception only applies when the aircraft has a cylinder installed.

B.    Removed Pressure Cylinder Maintenance.

1)    Pressure cylinders removed from U.S.-registered aircraft which are being stored, handled, or otherwise moved without the intention of transport come under the appropriate requirements of 29 CFR, Labor. Refer to 29 CFR part 1910, Occupational Safety and Health Standards for additional information.
2)    Title 49 CFR regulates pressure cylinders removed from U.S.-registered aircraft and requires testing of the cylinders for requalification under the requirements of 49 CFR. Title 49 CFR requires these cylinders to be requalified on a calendar-time basis. Requirements specific to a cylinder may be found in 49 CFR part 180, §§ 180.3, 180.205, and 180.209, and other CFR parts. The 49 CFR cylinder requalification process contains specific requirements, including a hydrostatic test. However, a hydrostatic test alone does not satisfy the 49 CFR cylinder requalification requirements.
3)    Maintenance providers may not install cylinders in a U.S. registered aircraft certificated in any category if the cylinders are not approved, qualified, and/or requalified under 49 CFR.

3-4549    PROCEDURES.

A.    High-Pressure Cylinders’ Maintenance Program Requirement. Each operator of a U.S.-registered aircraft must have maintenance and recordkeeping procedures consistent with its particular regulatory requirements for each high-pressure cylinder installed on the aircraft.

NOTE:  Title 14 CFR provides for the continued airworthiness of the high-pressure cylinders through the maintenance instructions provided by the manufacturer of the aircraft. Those instructions will often refer to an accessory, instrument, or equipment manufacturer as the source of this information if the applicant shows that the item has an exceptionally high degree of complexity requiring specialized maintenance techniques, test equipment, or expertise.

·    Operators should develop procedures to ensure that maintenance providers do not fill or service these cylinders after they have reached the time when the 49 CFR requalification requirements are due.

·    The maintenance program will include pre-installation instructions to inspect the cylinders prior to aircraft installation for serviceability. Maintenance personnel must reject damaged cylinders for installation per 49 CFR, as this affects cylinder integrity to retain high pressure, which would impose a hazard.

·    Title 49 CFR part 180, § 180.205(c) provides that a cylinder may be requalified at any time during or before the month and year that the requalification is due.

·    A cylinder filled and installed in the aircraft before the requalification becomes due may remain in service until the cylinder is removed from the aircraft.

·    A cylinder may not remain in service beyond the life limits established by the airframe or cylinder manufacturer.

·    A cylinder with a specified service life may not be refilled and offered for transportation after its authorized service life has expired.

B.    High-Pressure Cylinders Not DOT-Qualified Under 49 CFR. All high-pressure cylinders will meet the requirements and certification standards of 49 CFR. Those cylinders not meeting those standards must not be installed on aircraft and must be replaced if installed.

C.    High-Pressure Cylinders Not DOT-Qualified Under 49 CFR and Operator Noncompliance.

·    Since Flight Standards Service (AFS) does not enforce the HMR, contact the enforcement section of the PHMSA Regional Office (RO) that covers the location.

·    For PHMSA ROs, refer to http://www.phmsa.dot.gov/hazmat/about/org.

3-4550    FUTURE ACTIVITIES. None.

RESERVED. Paragraphs 3-4551 through 3-4563

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, cliffy said:

To add- There are actually 4 governing agencies involved with O2 pressure cylinders. 

The following comes out of the 8900 FIMS manual from the FAA (Sept 2016 is the latest revision I have)

Ouch.  My head hurts now :blink:

• Like 1

The worst annual I ever had was in 2008 on a Bravo. What made it bad was that the shop owner (not an MSC, but a Mooney owner who I considered a friend at the time) was not getting along with his IA and his IA was completely unreasonable on items on my airplane. I found out later from another customer that the IA and the owner were close to a fistfight in the shop one day he was there. Their disputes on a lot of different issues left my airplane tied up for over 4 months. I had to threaten a lawsuit to the owner and an FAA complaint to the IA to finally get it signed off and out of there. (Thankfully I had the logbooks in my possession the entire time.)

Prior to that I had used the Mooney factory service center and Lone Star in San Antonio, both with good results. Although it doesn't hurt to have another set of eyes look at your airplane once in awhile, don't go from the known to the completely unknown. That was a huge mistake on my part. Pick a shop or an IA with a good reputation and a reasonable attitude. If you're going to try a new one, maybe try them for an oil change first rather than an annual.

5 hours ago, jaylw314 said:

It costs $25 to hydro test a portable cylinder at a welding shop.  multiply that by 20-30 times for anything officially aviation certified :huh:

The 5 year hydro requirement is a DOT requirement. Unless there is an ICA that says something different, the $25 hydro would compleatly satisfy the requirement.

8 hours ago, cliffy said:

Well I might disagree. Most of what you mention probably has to do with lack of lubrication. This stuff didn't just happen in one year. I, too, would like to know how long you have owned the airplane. If its "normal" wear and tear, it would happen with some frequency. A well lubricated Mooney does not "wear out" those items with regularity, especially all at one time. 

Whats wrong with the nose gear link? Worn bushing? Lack of lubrication

The nose gear bolt? Again, lack of lube

Left and right main gear retraction bellcranks? What's the issue here? Worn bearings? Again, lack of lube. These are not "normal" wear and tear items. 

All the rod ends you talk about are from lack of lube and didn't just happen in one year. I tell every owner I see that they should lube all their exposed rod ends every month or 2. It takes all of 4 mins as you walk around the airplane. We have had rod ends completely frozen on several Mooneys due to lack of lube and rust. In fact, a couple have actually broken in flight due to this. 

Your "Alternate" gear extension system can be repaired. It can also be found in a good used parts bin. Again, this didn't just happen this year. Its been building up for several years. 

I do feel sympathy for your "surprises" this year. Its not nice to have that phone ring with your A&P on the other end. 

The best thing you can do for your new car is frequent oil changes, the best thing you can do for your Mooney is lubricate every moving joint a couple times a year. BTW, even if you don't fly it LUBE it. Oil dries out just sitting there. 

What specific  lube  do you recommend  to use on the various places you mention?

Bravoman-  100% silicone spray for the exposed rod ends. It lubes well, dries and doesn't attract dust and sand to the joint (I live where the wind and dust blow). It doesn't stain anything with oily mess and it can be done in 3 or 4 mins all around the airplane. You should be able to easily wiggle the rod end ring around the ball joint a little. If its tight it needs lube.

For all the rest of the "hidden" moving joints use TriFlow spray can it has silicone in it also. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cliffy said:

Bravoman-  100% silicone spray for the exposed rod ends. It lubes well, dries and doesn't attract dust and sand to the joint (I live where the wind and dust blow). It doesn't stain anything with oily mess and it can be done in 3 or 4 mins all around the airplane. You should be able to easily wiggle the rod end ring around the ball joint a little. If its tight it needs lube.

For all the rest of the "hidden" moving joints use TriFlow spray can it has silicone in it also. 

For a stickler for regs, Im surprised. The maintenance manual has an extensive list of lubricants. Tri flo and silicone are nowhere to be found.