Best Mooney shops in sc,nc, ga

I'd give Stuart Dillon at Dillon's Aviation in Greenville, NC a call. I don't have his number on hand, but he's been in business a long time and runs a good shop. I got my private and instrument ratings from his flight school about 10 years ago and am still impressed with how well he maintained his fleet. He also directed me to Aero Engines of Winchester who did the overhaul in my M20F and saved me a few thousand dollars there. 

Three times I've gone to MSCs thinking I'd get gold standard service and three times I ended up spending far more money for work that was no better than what I've seen from other capable shops. 

I use Ted at Above and Beyond in Greenville, SC (KGMU).  He maintains my mooney and another on the field as well.  It was three until the other guy ran his off the runway at Myrtle Beach.  He has quite a few mooneys in his charge other than the ones than the two I know about also.  I've been by his shop before and seen two in the hangar and at least one more parked outside that he was actively working on.  He is not an MSC but he is trusted and respected around our area.  Never heard a bad word about him and he has literally maintained every plane I've ever flown.

I'll add that, when selecting a shop or mechanic, I advise to go to a smaller shop or independent IA. It is not uncommon for high volume shops to have only a single A&P or IA working while everyone else working on the planes is some sort of inexperienced "apprentice" making shit money. You want the person turning the wrenches to have the qualifications. 

The IA that I use in St. Pete, FL charges me $600 for my annuals and $65/hr for labor and does some of the best work I've seen. He takes his time, does everything by the service manual, doesn't mind my input and prior to taking action, runs his reasoning by me for approval. 

$600 to do an Annual is shit money.  It costs me $500 for just the signature for an Annual on a US registered airplane after we’ve done all the work.

Low ballers and freelancers giving away their skills are the reason for depressed wages in this industry.  What shop wants to compete for business at those rates.

Clarence

Edited by M20Doc

+ 1 for Cole Aviation in Dalton Ga. which is a MSC. Joe Cole and his guys are excellent. Joe turns a wrench and is involved with every aircraft which I like.   I have had the Mooney for five years now, and with the exception of this last year Cole  has done all of the annuals and routine maintenance. This last annual was done  by Phil Jimenez in Avon Park Florida, also a well-known Mooney guy who is well regarded on this board.   I can personally attest that Phil is excellent as well. After completing my annual Phil told me that he thought that Cole had been taking very good care of my bird.

• Like 1