Pop up TFRs?

Ned Gravel

59 minutes ago, Ned Gravel said:

But if you tell me that some system considered my lowly E model to be doing 230 kts, I am all for it.  However the words "TFR" appeared on both my iPad and my 480.  At that point I was just under 20 nm away from the closest point of the SFRA at 6000' and 10 miles outside the 30 nm ring.  Tracon controller's reaction was to have me forget about EMI and proceed direct to KFDK.  I was OK with that.

The system doesn't know how fast your are going,  just that the ADSB TFR system has a permanent 60nm ring around DCA, which is the outer boundary of the rules airspace (the VFR speed limit)     The next time you are in the air you will always see that 60m ring..   the ADSB ICAO system doesn't have a code for SFRA, so the FAA keeps that one in the system as a TFR. 

The next time you see the ring, click on it and read the text of the "TFR"... I was flying through that airspace (KJYO Leesburg) in the SFRA to and from the summit and get "approaching TFR, in TFR" from Foreflight.  The G1000 shows the 60nm ring, but I  have airspace alerts surpressed in my IFR profile. 

1 hour ago, Jerry 5TJ said:

If you were cleared IFR why worry about TFRs at all?  

it seems that the FAA is of the opinion that avoiding TFR's are a joint responsibility. 

http://www.aero-news.net/AnnTicker.cfm?do=main.textpost&id=841d7ba2-830d-4e12-854f-0078382bed3e

FAA Order 7110.65 states that ATC shall vector aircraft for separation and safety. This includes vectoring aircraft around TFRs as well as traffic. For the pilot, the applicable regulation is 14 CFR 91.103 which pertains to preflight action and states that "Each pilot in command shall, before beginning a flight, become familiar with all available information concerning that flight," which includes TFRs. Additional regulations are covered in 14 CFR 91.13 and whichever CFR promulgated the TFR (e.g. 14 CFR 91.137; 14 CFR 91.138; 14 CFR 91.139; 14 CFR 91.141; 14 CFR 91.143; 14 CFR 91.145)

So you still need to watch out for those VIP inner cores even IFR.