Nashville Recommendations

Ftlausa

I have to go into the Nashville area for a wedding this weekend, and I am looking for recommendations.  It looks like KBNA and KMQY are about equal distance from where I need to go, with KBNA a little closer.  I am used to flying into Bravo and Charlie airports, but I have never been into KBNA and the layout looks a little daunting and I have no idea how GA friendly they are.  Any advice?       

I have to go into the Nashville area for a wedding this weekend, and I am looking for recommendations.  It looks like KBNA and KMQY are about equal distance from where I need to go, with KBNA a little closer.  I am used to flying into Bravo and Charlie airports, but I have never been into KBNA and the layout looks a little daunting and I have no idea how GA friendly they are.  Any advice?       

Good luck! When I was sitting here at KBNA waiting for a ride to the hotel, I looked the FBOs up. It looks like Atlantic and Signature are both here. Both have over $7 gas prices. The airport is large. I didn’t see any GA landing or taking off but that doesn’t mean anything.

I can’t believe how built up and crazy Nashville traffic is. I was here in 2001 and it has changed a lot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I'll be heading up to Nashville as well in the near future and will study the responses here.

I rented out of BNA when I lived in Nashville in the late 80's. American had a mini-hub there at the time, but the airport and airspace were easy to deal with. Signature and Atlantic probably weren't even formed yet.

I had no problem going in and out of BNA a few years ago [2012? 2013?], seems they landed me on the Center runway. My problem was finding the FBO, which had moved to a new building but the sign was still on the old one . . . . Surely this has been fixed.

No trouble integrating me in, the approach was nice and I broke out about 3nm away. They didn't ask my C to keep speed up, expedite off the runway or anything. Car was rented at the FBO, just walked in, asked for the keys and drove away. Don't remember the fuel price, but guaranteed it has changed by now.

Many people have said good things about using John Tune Airport nearby, but I haven't been there.

Have a good trip!

Depends on several factors, but I wouldn't eliminate BNA if you want convenient car rentals or hotel transport.  I've been to BNA twice this year for Angel Flights, and used Signature both times.  Since I was an Angel Flight, they wave fees and also discount fuel (I only took about 10 gal).

GA arrivals and departures at BNA are straightforward, although you do need to pay particular attention during ground ops.

For ground transport convenience, I think my partner also prefers BNA over JWN.

I have family around Nashville, so that's a common area for me to fly in. Smyrna is easy. The only complication I have had there is trying to leave pretty late at night. The FBO isn't open 24 hours, and the airport is big enough that security fencing/gates/etc don't allow for after hours access to the ramp. It took a few phone calls and about a 30 minute delay to get to the plane. I've actually started avoiding Smyrna for this reason. Now I either go to MBT or BNA. Out of 10 flights to Smyrna, I've paid a landing fee once or twice. I don't recall it being unreasonable.

BNA isn't too bad to get into or out of. Lots of commercial traffic, but never felt in the way flying in as a GA plane. Taxiing in will be your biggest challenge. Probably best to start with the plan of asking for progressive taxi. Signature is at the end of 31, and generally that's the runway you'll be sent out of, so no concern there. Landing fees are typical of any signature FBO ($40). Signature is open 24/7.

MBT is a typical GA airport. Easy access to the ramp 24/7, even after the FBO closes. Lots of training ops. 

Any of those airports will have good Uber response since it's such a densely populated area. MQY and BNA both have rental cars available.

On 10/3/2018 at 11:43 AM, Marauder said:

I can’t believe how built up and crazy Nashville traffic is. I was here in 2001 and it has changed a lot.

The changes are even more dramatic as you go towards Smyrna and Murfreesboro. I can't believe how many people have moved into the area since then.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, whiskytango said:

I am going to Nashville soon too.  My downtown hotel wants $35/night for parking, so my CB plan was to take Uber from the airport and just walk to get to where I need to go downtown.  Has anyone used Uber from airports other than BNA? 

Wife and I did a year or so ago from JWN.  I don't recall the fair amount though and it was a bit of a wait to get one there.  Depending on where you're going, I'd say it could almost be a wash between fuel price and Uber fair.  I'm getting more to the viewpoint that, we have an airplane for convenience so why make things inconvenient (within reason anyways). 

I've flown into BNA a few times.  It's not bad.  There's actually a flight school there. 

• Like 1

On 10/7/2018 at 1:58 PM, whiskytango said:

I am going to Nashville soon too.  My downtown hotel wants $35/night for parking, so my CB plan was to take Uber from the airport and just walk to get to where I need to go downtown.  Has anyone used Uber from airports other than BNA? 

You should have no problem getting Uber service at any Nashville area airport (BNA, JWN, MQY, MBT). I don't have specific experience beyond the airports I listed. For anything but BNA, I have the Uber app loaded and queued for requesting a ride before I touch down. As soon as I clear the active, stop for a moment, click the button, and go to parking. The car is usually there about the same time I clear the FBO.

If you're going to Nashville for the downtown experience, walking is a great option. Parking is expensive. Additionally, it's common practice for guys to put on a yellow vest and stand at a parking lot opening collecting parking fees. Later, that guy walks off to spend his new cash while all the cars are towed away. I only park certain places downtown now.

• Like 1

On 10/7/2018 at 1:47 PM, neilpilot said:

A bit off topic, but can anyone provide a pirep for Carpenter Avionics at Smyrna?  Considering them for a few relatively minor repairs.  PM is fine.

They have done some work for our local flying club in Knoxville when I was a member. They were never the cheapest option, but seemed to get it right the first time and on schedule. The club continues to use them for work.

• Thanks 1

John Tune work for me on several hops.  There is a lot of private jet traffic and be sure to review the approach procedures.  Right downwind landing south.  Really nice people at the FBO (under green tin roof) and Hertz will drop of a car there.  

Rick

22 hours ago, Releew said:

John Tune work for me on several hops.  There is a lot of private jet traffic and be sure to review the approach procedures.  Right downwind landing south.  Really nice people at the FBO (under green tin roof) and Hertz will drop of a car there.  

Rick

+1 on John Tune and the FBO there. Friendly, efficient - found me a hotel whom they have a deal with etc.  (line staff also know how to tow Mooneys)  

On 10/7/2018 at 12:47 PM, neilpilot said:

A bit off topic, but can anyone provide a pirep for Carpenter Avionics at Smyrna?  Considering them for a few relatively minor repairs.  PM is fine.

Dropped a set of keys off to them 9/28 after my airspeed indicator failed to come up during takeoff. Called after a week and they said they couldn’t get to it. The good news is that whatever crawled in has since crawled out of the pitot tube. I guess they are pretty busy.

On 10/7/2018 at 12:58 PM, whiskytango said:

Only had to wait 10-15 minutes both times I flew in. That was before I actually relocated. I was staying nearby so I don’t know what the cost would be to get downtown. 

Carpenter Avionics are good to deal with, had an issue with a Garmin GPS.

I pulled it, they checked it  thinking they could repair it based on our conversations. They called and said it needed a Garmin repair,Off it went to Garmin. It was back in the plane in under 4wks.

They didn't charge for their diagnostics after they couldn't repair it.:)

Communication with them the whole time was VERY satisfactory.

• Thanks 1