Rylo 360 degree camera

gsxrpilot

This is just a first trial with the new Rylo 360 degree camera. I mounted it just above the door. I'm not real happy with the mounting position. The camera has two fisheye lenses out the front/back or either side depending on the orientation.  I'll keep working on finding the right location.

This was this morning's IFR departure from Smithville (84R) to Conroe (KCXO).  The metars all over this area of Texas were LIFR when I took off and I was looking forward to an ILS to minimums approach. Even the current ATIS at KCXO on approach was reporting OVC500 1 mile. But unfortunately I broke out at about 1800 ft.

The video only gets the takeoff. Watch it on an iPad or Phone so you can move the view around as it's playing.

• Like 6

13 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

Watch it on an iPad or Phone so you can move the view around as it's playing.

Paul,

I was able to use the 360 features watching it here in MS using my computer.  No  i-products involved. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, steingar said:

Yeah, 360 thing (funny how a cloud looks the same no  mater the direction) worked great on my iMac-POS.  Glad to see I'm not the only one with some paint missing around the door.

Yeah... someday she'll get paint, but not until there's nothing left to do for her.

17 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

This is just a first trial with the new Rylo 360 degree camera. I mounted it just above the door. I'm not real happy with the mounting position. The camera has two fisheye lenses out the front/back or either side depending on the orientation.  I'll keep working on finding the right location.

This was this morning's IFR departure from Smithville (84R) to Conroe (KCXO).  The metars all over this area of Texas were LIFR when I took off and I was looking forward to an ILS to minimums approach. Even the current ATIS at KCXO on approach was reporting OVC500 1 mile. But unfortunately I broke out at about 1800 ft.

The video only gets the takeoff. Watch it on an iPad or Phone so you can move the view around as it's playing.

FYI, when using a YouTube video on your web browser, you can use the mouse to drag the view around on these 360 videos.  Nice work!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Txbyker said:

@gsxrpilot Can you pick up clearance on the ground at 84R?

Only with a telephone. I have my iPhone connected via bluetooth to my PMA450a audio panel. After runup and when ready to go, I call Austin Approach on the phone and get my clearance. I can't reach them on the radio until about 1500 ft above the field.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, wcb said:

VERY COOL.  I would like to see how it is mounted and if I got one how would you change the mounting?

I really should have taken a picture of the mount on the plane. I know better, but just forgot. I'll get one and post it. Basically I used the stock sticky mount (curved) and stuck it to the fuselage just above the door. I think I'd rather have it mounted on the centerline just aft of the top of the windshield. I'll have to test it because I want to see the wing/s in the shot.

As I'm looking for a mounting location, these are my thoughts.

I'm going to use the sticky mount. There are both flat and curved so use the right one for the location. But the sticky mounts are very secure, small, simple, and easy to remove if a FSDO tells me to. A piece of string, fishing line, dental floss, or even a knife can quickly remove the mount. Otherwise it's very secure.

I want the mount to be in an area of very little vibration. This means on or very close to a rivet line. It also should not be sticking up above the surface anymore than required.

The Rylo is meant to be mounted with one lens to the front and the other to the back. I think for external mounting on the plane, having the lenses oriented to port and starboard is better. 

I think I'd really like to try mounting it on the wingtip but for formation flying, I want to see both sides of the airplane.

Wherever it's mounted, both lenses need to have a clear view.

I guess I need to go run some more tests (fly). :D

3 hours ago, Lance Keve said:

Cool video.

If you pan up to the blue when you break out you can see some sky writing... ;)

See those numbers?  Time stamp? Stitching info?

My guess is that is a reflection of a part number stamped on a camera part off the protective outer lens.  That's why you only see it when the sun comes out.

4 minutes ago, wcb said:

I was also thinking under the plane for that perfect landing shot?

I've mounted cameras under the plane before and I LOVE the view of takeoffs, landings, and especially the movement of the gear. But my 252 is just blowing too much oil and 10 minutes into the flight, the video is all blurry. 

I might mount it under the wing looking back at the belly. Hmmmm...

20 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

I think I'd really like to try mounting it on the wingtip but for formation flying, I want to see both sides of the airplane.

gotta get that composite video system in the F35 - cameras on all extremities, and computer stitches them together.

I wonder how many AMUs that'd cost?

• Like 1

Thanks @carusoam. Mike's got a different camera than I. And the mounting is different as well. My Rylo camera uses GoPro mounts which is convenient for me as I've got lots of them. I just need to get the location right.

I wanted to get the ILS Approach on camera. But I turned it off in flight using the remote function, but then couldn't start it again. It turned out there wasn't anything to film. In spite of the ATIS saying 500 OVC, I broke out at 2000 for an uneventful visual approach.

I'll keep testing and hopefully get some interesting footage to share.

• 3 months later...