Fuel Selector Help!

Matt - mine did the exact same thing last week. I ordered the kit from Lasar and had Terry rebuild it. The leak you are seeing is either the small O ring on the bolt holding the sump or the big gasket on the sump itself.

Mine was actually leaking from one of the two O rings on the drain valve.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Per the parts book (and what I've been using forever), the bottom seal is a stato washer not an o-ring. If there's a "standard" o-ring mod, I'd sure welcome it.

Not sure what a stats washer is, but it was a metal ring with some sort of inner gasket or O ring type material in the hole.

41 minutes ago, Freemasm said:

That would be it, Sir.  I guess we're stuck with them. Before the internet made it easy, these were hard to find in General Aviation based operations. 

C'mon, am I the only one who remembers the aviation boards on AOL, CompuServe and FIDOnet (the BBS one, kinda like newsgroups that updated at midnight every night to all the local BBSs)

2 hours ago, Freemasm said:

That would be it, Sir.  I guess we're stuck with them. Before the internet made it easy, these were hard to find in General Aviation based operations. 

Before the internet we had Trade-A-Plane and a phone. It worked just fine. I could find any parts I needed.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Freemasm said:

Per the parts book (and what I've been using forever), the bottom seal is a stato washer not an o-ring. If there's a "standard" o-ring mod, I'd sure welcome it.

4 hours ago, Marauder said:

Not sure what a stats washer is, but it was a metal ring with some sort of inner gasket or O ring type material in the hole.

FYI, It's a Stat-O-Seal

Looks like the gasket in that big cup needs some help.   And as a point of information.   Some of those bolts are marked with the wrong torque value. There is an SB that needs to read before putting things back together.

Looks like the gasket in that big cup needs some help.   And as a point of information.   Some of those bolts are marked with the wrong torque value. There is an SB that needs to read before putting things back together.

You know the # offhand?

3 hours ago, Marauder said:

I also forgot to mention I’m flying Southwest today. First time in maybe 10 years. Didn’t realize that Southwest is this popular in Philly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bless you my son for you will be walking with the heathens of air travel.  Say 10 our fathers and 10 hail mary's.  Stand strong and resist the temptation to sin again.:huh::o:D

Bless you my son for you will be walking with the heathens of air travel.  Say 10 our fathers and 10 hail mary's.  Stand strong and resist the temptation to sin again.:huh:

I am not allowed to fly my plane for work, so I have no choice but to be a heathen.

I’m usually on United, an airline that you can’t get much closer to being processed like an animal headed for slaughter. I was a bit surprised at what I found on Southwest. Seats, even though I don’t have frequent flyer status with them, were nice and roomy. I remember the open seating boarding but was happy that I found an empty row. Of course, flying to Nashville mid-week might be the reason but it sure beats the United sardine can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

On 10/2/2018 at 9:33 AM, Marauder said:

Matt - mine did the exact same thing last week. I ordered the kit from Lasar and had Terry rebuild it. The leak you are seeing is either the small O ring on the bolt holding the sump or the big gasket on the sump itself.

Mine was actually leaking from one of the two O rings on the drain valve.

Just curious. I need to have my fuel selector rebuilt.  What did they charge for an overhaul. Thanks

Just curious. I need to have my fuel selector rebuilt.  What did they charge for an overhaul. Thanks

We rebuilt the drain sump (Terry is a local IA and Mooney owner) using the kit we purchased from Lasar. Kit cost (full kit) cost $60.

Please educate an fuel selector swtich ignorant soul.  How do these selector switches fail?  What indicates it needs overhaul?  Is this a timed component? i.e. overhaul ever x period?  Or is this just, repair/overhaul becuase a seal is leaking?

18 minutes ago, bob865 said:

Please educate an fuel selector swtich ignorant soul.  How do these selector switches fail?  What indicates it needs overhaul?  Is this a timed component? i.e. overhaul ever x period?  Or is this just, repair/overhaul becuase a seal is leaking?

Seal leaking, selector sump dripping, or (the big one) selector very stiff and difficult to turn.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bob865 said:

Bob,

If the selector portion is leaking that is a different issue and best left to a pro to rebuild it. What we are talking about here is the sump portion of the fuel selector valve. It is the low point in the fuel system and contains a metal screen and the pull tab you see in the cockpit.

Where they can leak are in two areas. The round sump bowl is the thing in the above pictures with the safety wire attached to it. It contains a large rubber gasket. The bolt that has a safety wire attached to it has a, no known to me, stato washer on it. 

The other area is the actual plunger assembly. There are a couple of O rings on the plunger assembly. This is where mine was leaking.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Marauder said:

We rebuilt the drain sump (Terry is a local IA and Mooney owner) using the kit we purchased from Lasar. Kit cost (full kit) cost $60.

I ended up spending, $4.65 in o-rings... :)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bob865 said:

In the selector part, there are four o-rings, two small plastic rings, two TINY springs and two TINY , metal balls.  Easy to fix, but be careful not to lose the springs; and you definitely don't want to lose your balls.
The bottom part is the sump and requires an o-ring around the bowl and a special washer (don't remember the name) with a seal built into it to go around the bottom bolt.

The o-rings get old and begin to wear out.  

I wish I had taken pictures when we disassembled the unit.

I work with my I/A on stuff like this so I don't screw it up.

Edited by Guitarmaster
  • Thanks 1