Recommendation for LED landing light

NicoN

Those of you who are using Aero-Lites (Sunsetter), are you getting a field approval (337) or going with the idea that these bulbs are an equal replacement for the incandescence bulb?

6 minutes ago, L. Trotter said:

Those of you who are using Aero-Lites (Sunsetter), are you getting a field approval (337) or going with the idea that these bulbs are an equal replacement for the incandescence bulb?

Both my IA and my CFI (who's also an IA) told me to just put the damn thing in myself.

• Like 1

My personal opinion as well. However, I have a purist A&P/IA who wants paper on everything (not suggesting this is a bad thing). I think I'm going to just place and ask for forgiveness latter. I can check for radio interference on my own (a very low risk from what I've read).

Edited by L. Trotter

11 hours ago, L. Trotter said:

I don't see how it qualifies as a major modification or alteration, so I wouldn't think a 337 would be needed.   Should be a minor mod, I'd think.   And landing lights are probably the most liberalized lighting item in the "preventive maintenance" list, since the owner/operator can even redo the wiring for one without an A&P signoff.

one thing not mentioned here is the possibility of electronic interference...the SunSetter is a multi-voltage lamp...which means you can power from 10 to 30 volts on the same lamp assembly and with a reasonable expectation of same lighting performance.  To accomplish this, it needs to have its own electronic voltage regulator built in.  With the Whelen lamp assembly there are two specific models...one for 14V and one for 28V....in this case the units can be designed for a specific voltage without an electronic regulator.   That being said, the lamp assembly on the lower nose of the cowling is very far removed from radio and electronic signal cables (with the exception of things like the fuel transducer or other engine monitoring sensors.

Being aware of this possibility, I have looked very close in regards to my plane and I haven't seen any ill affects.

Here's some photos comparing:

• a Whelen Parmetheus Plus LED landing light to a GE 4596 incandescent bulb in the landing light location and
  • a Whelen Parmetheus Plus LED landing light to the Aero-Lites SunSetter ULTRA LED landing light

Also included are photos of two GE 4596 incandescent bulbs in each taxi light location and two Aero-Lites SunSetter ULTRA LED taxi lights.

LandingPI.jpg

LandingPA.jpg

TaxiII.jpg

TaxiAA.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, k8n said:

Here's some photos comparing:

• a Whelen Parmetheus Plus LED landing light to a GE 4596 incandescent bulb in the landing light location and
  • a Whelen Parmetheus Plus LED landing light to the Aero-Lites SunSetter ULTRA LED landing light

Also included are photos of two GE 4596 incandescent bulbs in each taxi light location and two Aero-Lites SunSetter ULTRA LED taxi lights.

Nice!  I especially like how you can see the area directly in front of you with the Aero-Lites.  I have the one cowl landing light, so I didn't realize how little coverage there was normally...

• 11 months later...

I have my annual coming up in March, and my landing light was already out.  Don't fly at night anyway (yet) but I've been hankering for LEDs. So I called the IA at the annual shop and explained I was gonna put in Sunsetter Ultra G2s and asked what he thought of that.  He said "go ahead, it's just a light bulb, and the old GE 4596s aren't PMAed or STCed or nothin' anyway"

Landing light installed today, taxi light arriving tomorrow.  I did a test since I had one of each in the nose and I have the ammeter on the EDM900.  LED landing light on: draws 1 amp.  LED off.  Incandescent taxi light on, GE4596: draws 4 amps. I think with my new avionics and these two LEDs I'll be able to have everything on and probably be drawing less than 15 amps total.   Maybe less. And they're BRIGHT.

When I got in there to remove it I was scratching my head a bit because there was silicone caulk slathered all over the bottom edge of the bulb where the retaining ring doesn't cover it.  When I got it all back together I noticed my brand new Sunsetter moves around a bit...that retaining ring doesn't "retain" so well.  Now I understand the silicone. Got some!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PJClark said:

huh.  @gsxrpilot I wonder:

1.  is there a rubber gasket or anything like that between your ring and the bulb?

2. do you happen to have the Maintenance manual for 86-88 vintage 252s? If you do would you mind either posting that landing/taxi light section here, or send to me by PM?

thanks

PJ

1. Good question. I'm getting some new lights and will install them possibly this weekend. I'll let you know when I get into the cowl.

2. I don't have the maintenance manual. I'd like to have one, and should probably see about sourcing one now that the factory has closed down.

11 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

1. Good question. I'm getting some new lights and will install them possibly this weekend. I'll let you know when I get into the cowl.

2. I don't have the maintenance manual. I'd like to have one, and should probably see about sourcing one now that the factory has closed down.

If they just completely shutter, they will loose Type Certs no?  Someone is there and should be able to burn a MM on a USB for you. May take 6 months to get it so order soon.  Got mine for the J, for 50$ years ago from Steve Rue, here is his email address no idea if he is still there.  srue@mooney.com 

3 hours ago, Steve W said:

I have wing mounted lights in my 201, but I did end up using some thermally conductive sheet to keep them from rattling, previous lights had some black goo. So I think this is common for all Mooney mounting rings.

My C has the large PAR 46 bulb in the cowl. It's held in securely by 3 screws through the mounting ring, and nothing else.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Funny this came back up. I had a failure of my XEVision landing light. I’m sitting on the fence do I spend the $230 bucks for the new cable/hid starter that failed after 8 years or so I go with a led land light. Mine is a 35w HID, without STC. I suppose I could get it field approved, it’s the only thing on my plane that isn’t. But leds, from what I’m reading are great taxi lights but not good at shooting 1/2 a mile and lighting up the runway. The HID is awesome for that. The cable holder loosened, it arched internally and now needs new parts.

Sounds like the led bulbs can’t concentrate light over a distance. I’ve grown to like the HID. On the fence I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

HIDs still have a following...

LEDs are getting closer...

If you didn’t have one... the HID systems are expensive...

Now you are stuck in the middle zone...

Only .230 amu to get your HID running again...

Will it go another 8 years?

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1