Recommendation for LED landing light

NicoN

On ‎10‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 3:24 PM, Raptor05121 said:

I have a $250 truck light (Rigid Industries 63372) and its twice as bright as the Whelen Parmetheus.

Was it a drop in replacement?  I looked at their website and it looks pretty big, depth wise. 

So because I love data I went out and got an inexpensive light meter and aimed at at my lights and ended up with more questions than I started with.

These were the brightest spot of the beam in each case.

250W Halogen PAR 36: 1400 lux at 11feet: 13737cd(peak) but only drawing 3.5A at 28v... so something was already off here, maybe someone put in a 100W bulb instead. 

SunSpot 36 01-1030-4596 PAR 36 LED: 4800 lux, er no, 3000, er, no 1800, er no 1600... It stabilized at 1600 and 1.8A(28V) for 18000cd(peak), the taxi light did the same significant drop. After talking with AeroLEDs we came to the consensus that this is probably due to the testing environment with no airflow from the engine or aircraft motion, so I'll be trying to do some testing once I have an engine back.

Edit: Yes, one of my right wing lights is 100W, the other is 250W, no good measurements. But it looks like the the LED will come out about twice as bright as the 250W.

Edited by Steve W
  • Like 1

On 10/5/2018 at 6:37 AM, bradp said:

@Raptor05121 Alex is your light a spot or a spot hybrid style?

Thanks -B 

I forget. They have different part numbers for different optics. I have 63372

On 10/5/2018 at 7:48 AM, bob865 said:

Was it a drop in replacement?  I looked at their website and it looks pretty big, depth wise. 

It is very big and hefty. I was surprised, it seems ultra-high quality. It is thicker and I did have to re-install the retaining ring. It sits 1/8" more forward so you'll need to drill 3 new screws but its a lot more snug than the old landing light. I installed the LASAR landing light cover when I did my LED conversion seeing as I didn't need to replace it every 25 hours 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Raptor05121 said:

I forget. They have different part numbers for different optics. I have 63372

It is very big and hefty. I was surprised, it seems ultra-high quality. It is thicker and I did have to re-install the retaining ring. It sits 1/8" more forward so you'll need to drill 3 new screws but its a lot more snug than the old landing light. I installed the LASAR landing light cover when I did my LED conversion seeing as I didn't need to replace it every 25 hours 

Do you find the spot/hyper spot too narrow for the flare?  Comparing the 63372 to the 63362 (drive/hyperspot). Any cheaper source, looks like they have $350 map pricing. 

On 10/8/2018 at 7:45 AM, MIm20c said:

Do you find the spot/hyper spot too narrow for the flare?  Comparing the 63372 to the 63362 (drive/hyperspot). Any cheaper source, looks like they have $350 map pricing. 

Yeah I wouldn't be opposed to trying out something with a few degrees wider beam, TBH. But it makes up for it when you're on a 2-mile final and that pencil beam lights up the entirety of a 75' wide runway and the first 2,000 feet

On 10/5/2018 at 6:37 AM, bradp said:

@Raptor05121 Alex is your light a spot or a spot hybrid style?

Thanks -B 

On 10/8/2018 at 7:45 AM, MIm20c said:

Made this for you guys. I chose the 63372 because it has 5 more watts. I'd probably choose the wider beam if I did it over again

The cheapest seller I found after 2 minutes of searching- $324.98

https://www.desertrat.com/i-23303512-rigid-industries-63362-r-series-r2-46-combo-spot-driving-led-light.html

RigidLL.jpg

On October 16, 2018 at 2:35 AM, Raptor05121 said:

Made this for you guys. I chose the 63372 because it has 5 more watts. I'd probably choose the wider beam if I did it over again

The cheapest seller I found after 2 minutes of searching- $324.98

https://www.desertrat.com/i-23303512-rigid-industries-63362-r-series-r2-46-combo-spot-driving-led-light.html

RigidLL.jpg

How many hours you think you have been running this light?

12 minutes ago, teejayevans said:

Looks like the 63342 has a narrower beam than the 63362. I think that I would want the wider beam and for half the price it's just a bonus.

image.thumb.png.920de58ee99f93f99a9489d47f8971a6.png

Edit: Oh, and 2 lbs lighter...

8 hours ago, Raptor05121 said:

I leave the switch on all the time. Even during start, it barely dims.

I've probably got about 200 hours behind it now.

Did this light fit or was there some fabrication needed to fit it in the hole?

34 minutes ago, teejayevans said:

And bigger than original par 46 (5.75”), so they won’t fit?

The actual measurements that they are giving are showing 5.65" diameter. Alex said that he had to drill new holes because the retaining ring sat 1/8" more forward but that it fit in the hole. 

image.png.48c07ea2e263b571f906ec39d6dfc29f.png

11 hours ago, teejayevans said:

And bigger than original par 46 (5.75”), so they won’t fit?

10 hours ago, Rookie said:

Did this light fit or was there some fabrication needed to fit it in the hole?

Standard PAR46 size. It slid in fine. Its depth is bigger so the retaining ring sits more forward, probably 1/8" inch. You could have used a dremel on the light, I opted to just use the self-tapping screws and make 3 more holes. Its super tight now, whereas the old incandescent would wiggle around.

• 3 months later...
42 minutes ago, Two Oh One said:

I've been considering the same (wider), but I wonder how much of that advantage would be shadowed by the depth of our cowl light housing..

I have the Aerolites PAR46 which has a few elements that have dispersing lenses for taxiing.  It seems to work fine despite the recessed lamp, probably because it's not just one single element at the center.

ok I did the test.... I changed out my less than a half year Whelen Parmetheus Plus Par46....with the newest Sunsetter.

The Whelen has a much stronger pencil thin spot light that helps with earlier illumination of runway stripes from a great distance....and this is a great feature...but when you only have one bulb the benefits of a hybrid outweigh that spot.  The Sunsetter really lights the way for wide illumination allowing for ground transit  in an unfamiliar airport.  And the sunsetter does a more than adequate illumination of the runway on short final.

The Whelen cost $300, and the sunsetter cost $150...I will be staying with the lower cost bulb.  If anybody wants a deal on the Whelen, PM and make me an offer!  It is about 6 months old and has had about 20 hours of operation as I don't leave it on all the time...and its in absolutely new condition.

• 2 weeks later...