Leaving from the Mooney Summit: Tyndall Approach Control Instructions

Deb

While we were departing from the Mooney Summit this afternoon, we heard the following transmission from Tyndall Approach Control:

“All VFR aircraft off of Panama City squawk 1200.” Too many Mooneys for flight following? :o:ph34r::)

Edited by Deb
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

After Summit IV, leaving KECP around 1330 headed north, I heard Cairns Control complaining about the number of Mooneys. So I've been alerting them in advance, so the tower is properly staffed and they know what will come their way Friday and Sunday. May need to add Tyndall to the list . . . . If I can find a phone number.

• Like 2

Yes, myself and at least one other Mooney I heard on-freq got an impassioned plea from someone who described himself as the manager of the Tyndall Approach Control center, asking that we stagger departures so as to not put so much load on their system all at once. I think the problem was exacerbated by how quickly the weather came in after lunch...probably some that would have flown VFR chose to file IFR instead.

My reply was “Roger that...I’ll pass it along. I think the weather caught everyone by surprise a little bit.” He thanked me and then passed me to Tallahassee Approach.

So there...@Seth, one more thing to think about as you consider expanding for next year!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jeff_S said:

Yes, myself and at least one other Mooney I heard on-freq got an impassioned plea from someone who described himself as the manager of the Tyndall Approach Control center, asking that we stagger departures so as to not put so much load on their system all at once. I think the problem was exacerbated by how quickly the weather came in after lunch...probably some that would have flown VFR chose to file IFR instead.

My reply was “Roger that...I’ll pass it along. I think the weather caught everyone by surprise a little bit.” He thanked me and then passed me to Tallahassee Approach.

So there...@Seth, one more thing to think about as you consider expanding for next year!

If that means reservation slots, you know you have arrived into the big leagues. :)

• Like 2

Thanks for all the information.  We called months in advance, weeks in advance and even called in to remind them on a Wednesday when arriving of the departure.

The Tower seemed properly staffed finally after years of reminding them.

What we did not do was send written correspondence to ensure documentation of Mooney Summit providing information as to the high traffic days and times.

We’ll make sure to get not ony written communication out for next year but demand in writing that the approach will be properly staffed for departure.

As an email sent to me stated, “it’s not like it was more traffic then TEB on a weekday.”  We’ll continue to work this issue.

Thank you all for the feedback!!

-Seth

• Like 2

Chris-

Put it on your calendar now - Sept 27-29 2019!!  We’d love to see you there.

-Seth

Unfortunately you have your tax time, I've got my annual strategic & operation planning as well as the fiscal year close during this time of year. Maybe if I retire that might solve this problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Marauder said:

Unfortunately you have your tax time, I've got my annual strategic & operation planning as well as the fiscal year close during this time of year. Maybe if I retire that might solve this problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I fully understand!  

• Like 1

I would say this "problem" falls squarely on the ATC folks.  ECP tower personnel were adequately warned.  Apparently they did no coordination with Tyndall, or Cairns.  Did ECP tower think the traffic was going to magically begin and end at the 5 SM boundary?

However, it appears Mooney Summit is going to have to make sure that the word goes out to all parties concerned....especially if there will be even more Mooneys next year.  I would hate to see a slot/reservation system come into play.  I get enough of that at work.

• Like 1

As I read  this thread I'm thinking.....What a great problem to have. A conference on safety to "Better the bread" so well attended the system takes notice. What a wonderful and worth while event. I would like to see the need for a published NOTAM to accommodate future activity! 

Thanks everyone for a great seminar!

• Like 5

I sat out this year because I was grounded with an ulcer. However, last year Tyndall gave me a vector shortly after take-off and promptly forgot about me. When I called to ask when I could proceed on-course I got a snippy reply that he had instructed me to do that 10 min earlier. I politely invited him to check the tape and note that even if he had transmitted the instruction he had not received a “Wilco” in reply so he should have known it wasn’t received.

color me unimpressed with Tyndall.

Robert

I didn't make the Sunday seminars because I thought Wx would close up near home. About 30 minutes after I landed it was pouring cats and dogs. But I did a little sightseeing when I left, and opted out of VFR Flight following. As I left the pattern, a SWA 737 asked tower what was the deal with the Mooneys and we had a little chat about it. They seem properly staffed for it. Kinda glad I didn't bother Tyndall.

19 hours ago, Marauder said:

Come on, Chris!  We are eagerly waiting to see which of your "babes" you'll bring to Summit VII.  Admittedly, loading one of those girls up will take a lot of strategic and operational planning.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mooneymite said:

Come on, Chris!  We are eagerly waiting to see which of your "babes" you'll bring to Summit VII.  Admittedly, loading one of those girls up will take a lot of strategic and operational planning.

I plan on doing the transition training in the Spring. Haven't decided if a C-17 or a C-5 is needed. But I'm trying to get there.

• Haha 2

On 9/30/2018 at 7:21 PM, Hank said:

After Summit IV, leaving KECP around 1330 headed north, I heard Cairns Control complaining about the number of Mooneys. So I've been alerting them in advance, so the tower is properly staffed and they know what will come their way Friday and Sunday. May need to add Tyndall to the list . . . . If I can find a phone number.

As have I Hank. I went thru there a week ago, let Tyndall and Cairns both know they were about to face the rath of 100 or so Mooney's and it will intensify on Sunday afternoon, so staff accordingly. They thanked me for the heads up, said they would take care of notifying Eglin and PCB tower. Ron Jarmon also alerted the tower, yet Dr. Ron still got a call asking if we could do slot reservation departures next year.

22 hours ago, Seth said:

Thanks for all the information.  We called months in advance, weeks in advance and even called in to remind them on a Wednesday when arriving of the departure.

The Tower seemed properly staffed finally after years of reminding them.

What we did not do was send written correspondence to ensure documentation of Mooney Summit providing information as to the high traffic days and times.

We’ll make sure to get not ony written communication out for next year but demand in writing that the approach will be properly staffed for departure.

As an email sent to me stated, “it’s not like it was more traffic then TEB on a weekday.”  We’ll continue to work this issue.

Thank you all for the feedback!!

-Seth

Oh, and Seth, remember on our way up (Seth and I flew together) I keyed the mic and let Tyndal know it was happening and to staff up for Sunday? The real problem is the info is not getting pushed up the chain it appears. Next year, it will be written. Personally, I have communicated it at least 3 times on 3 different occasions to them as well as others.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Marauder said:

I plan on doing the transition training in the Spring. Haven't decided if a C-17 or a C-5 is needed. But I'm trying to get there.

Make sure you give us a heads up, the caterers might need a Jumbo mortgage to front the food.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Heading west along the gulf coast I just waited to pick up flight following with Eglin after Tyndall said they were too busy.  Which I found strange at the time because they were not talking much.  I did get 3 different transponder squawk codes before I reached Destin though.:huh:

Going southeast from KECP Tyndall controls that whole sector from just west of KECP to Apalachee Bay around TERES then you usually turned over to Tallahassee approach.

Going north form KECP I believe it is Carins Approach that controls that sector.

Finally going west you have Eglin.

If you head due south you will have to pick up Cuba in a few hours but you will start out with Jacksonville.:D

Given some of the airspace around KECP you are somewhat limited but here are some suggestions.

Going north:                                       KECP to CUGAR thence ....  (note CUGAR is a GPS waypoint)

Going north east:                               KECP to MAI thence ....

Going West along the gulf coast:   KECP  to PHIPS, DESTN thence...

Going to central and south FL:        KECP to TERES thence...