Ovation recog light replacment alternatives

rogerl

My hangar elves were bored.They went on eBay and ordered two c/d size mag light reflectors.They also ordered from Mr Amazon 2 Cree SC3 XM-L high out put LED.These are single LEDs rated at 3 amps max drive 1200 lumens.2 mini 28 volt to 5 v power supply's (about the size of a thumb).grinding and drilling operations left debris on my drill press and bench sanders.Evidence of high temp epoxy used.Result ,to bright to photograph without eye damage.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thinwing said:

My hangar elves were bored.They went on eBay and ordered two c/d size mag light reflectors.They also ordered from Mr Amazon 2 Cree SC3 XM-L high out put LED.These are single LEDs rated at 3 amps max drive 1200 lumens.2 mini 28 volt to 5 v power supply's (about the size of a thumb).grinding and drilling operations left debris on my drill press and bench sanders.Evidence of high temp epoxy used.Result ,to bright to photograph without eye damage.

Personally I think I would have trained the hangar elves to use a wedge base socket(or bayonet) and an automotive LED rated for up to 30V to simplify the installation. Admittedly most of those aren't quite that bright though. It's hard to find the voltage rating and brightness listed in a useful manner.

18 hours ago, Steve W said:

Personally I think I would have trained the hangar elves to use a wedge base socket(or bayonet) and an automotive LED rated for up to 30V to simplify the installation. Admittedly most of those aren't quite that bright though. It's hard to find the voltage rating and brightness listed in a useful manner.

16 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

Do your elves post pictures of their work?

Auto type LEDs use dropping/voltage dividing resistors to drop voltages to 5 volt forward voltage LED s require.These simply create heat but since total drive amps are pretty low is ok.The high output Cree is a different matter...the The Elves were messing with my Electronic supplies and found my supply of switching D.C. To D.C. Converters .They come from China land and seem to run pretty clean and can out put 5 amps.The Crees are typically mounted on a 5 mm square circuit board for heat dissipation..but what those rascally elves did next was really something.They grabbed my favorite d cell mag lite and took it apart!!!It contains a much higher quality reflector that is the same size as the Stock Mooney halogen reflector bulbs.It also has a round extension tube out the back that fits the stock Mooney mount.So the elves did the same thing the factory did to the original halogen projector bulbs.They ground it down to fit.Than they ground 5 mm circuit board contains the Cree round to fit and soldered a couple wires.This s than J B weld high temp epoxy inside the mag light reflector tube with wires coming out the back.The tube is Than wrapped with a couple turns of gorilla tape for a tight fit into original Mooney Black painted royalite mount .Original wires to stock bulb is imputed to D.C. D.C. Converter.Wires from Crees go to DCDC output matching polarity on Crees circuit board.Sorry Lance I'm not letting those elves any where near my expensive phone camera cause who knows what they will do with it !Ive ordered new parts for this project the elves snatched for a friend...I can take pics when I get them.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, thinwing said:

Auto type LEDs use dropping/voltage dividing resistors to drop voltages to 5 volt forward voltage LED s require.

Simplistic ones might, especially ones rated for only 12V. But the wide input (12-30V) ones have standard switching power supplies on-board, just very very tiny. It's pretty easy to tell, hook it up to a power supply at 12V, increase it to 28V, if the power draw remains roughly constant(V*A) and the brightness remains constant then it's a decent one, if it catches fire then it's not. 

Note: if they say 'canbus compatible' then you generally don't want them as they have added resistors to increase current draw to fake the car computer into thinking it's a standard filament bulb.

11 minutes ago, thinwing said:

I was describing the array on op original post ...those contain surface mount resistors...yours sound fine but not sure how an h3/ h4 standard auto would fit 

I'm thinking of things in the slightly not brighter than the sun range, like these, replacements for backup bulbs, wedge based 921 form factor, rated about 400lumen. I just need to get bored and make a reflector for them and order some T4 sockets, I've found ones in a similar form factor with higher reported brightness but even 400 should be plenty bright in a proper reflector. I originally ordered them to try out in my rear wing tip position lights but they're too large.

61EJQRW7WIL._SL1001_ (1)s.jpg

Edited by Steve W
Now with less huge image.

1 hour ago, thinwing said:

Auto type LEDs use dropping/voltage dividing resistors to drop voltages to 5 volt forward voltage LED s require.These simply create heat but since total drive amps are pretty low is ok.The high output Cree is a different matter...the The Elves were messing with my Electronic supplies and found my supply of switching D.C. To D.C. Converters .They come from China land and seem to run pretty clean and can out put 5 amps.The Crees are typically mounted on a 5 mm square circuit board for heat dissipation..but what those rascally elves did next was really something.They grabbed my favorite d cell mag lite and took it apart!!!It contains a much higher quality reflector that is the same size as the Stock Mooney halogen reflector bulbs.It also has a round extension tube out the back that fits the stock Mooney mount.So the elves did the same thing the factory did to the original halogen projector bulbs.They ground it down to fit.Than they ground 5 mm circuit board contains the Cree round to fit and soldered a couple wires.This s than J B weld high temp epoxy inside the mag light reflector tube with wires coming out the back.The tube is Than wrapped with a couple turns of gorilla tape for a tight fit into original Mooney Black painted royalite mount .Original wires to stock bulb is imputed to D.C. D.C. Converter.Wires from Crees go to DCDC output matching polarity on Crees circuit board.Sorry Lance I'm not letting those elves any where near my expensive phone camera cause who knows what they will do with it !Ive ordered new parts for this project the elves snatched for a friend...I can take pics when I get them.

Your elves seem very industrious. I really like their idea of the Maglite parabolic reflector. Some mechanics are fearful of what elves have done and this could help them to walk right past the work without paying a lot of attention, plus of course the light is directed as designed.

I wonder what your elves would think about this combination:

The parabolic reflectors with the blue painted black to match the previous light  . . . 

644504605_ScreenShot2018-10-16at2_52_06PM.thumb.png.683c27cdf03ed6c39ff82be933b606b7.png

and then the Crazed Pilot bullet LED in the center of the parabola  . . .

1178107326_ScreenShot2018-10-16at2_53_00PM.thumb.png.602c1a2bbc79e08386e1202b77ac3ecb.png

My elves got the Maglite parabola reflectors and cut them down and then then paint the backs black. Then they installed the Crazed Pilot Bullet LEDs and they seem to work just fine.

After I'm sure about them I might think about having the elves install new, unmelted lenses to replace the wingtip lenses . .  or maybe I'll just forget about it and move on.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, pwnel said:

Wow, very cool.  I just ordered a blown 70303 replacement - $150 and two weeks wait.  

So I have a full set, but the hangar elves might just get busy with some LEDs....

I have a brand new 70303 in the Whelen box that I've kept on the shelf just in case. $100 shipped.

(I'm going to keep my used ones just in case an IA down the road has something against my elves' work)

On 10/1/2018 at 11:37 AM, flyboy0681 said:

Maybe I'm just naive (very possible), but do many shops have a loaner K model hanging around? Others have talked of the insurance company paying for a rental during the entire repair period. My policy only provides for a 30 day rental and I've been told that's very generous.

On 10/6/2018 at 8:59 AM, gsxrpilot said:

Here's a view from the other side... at my local field, the new FBO management and maintenance facility, SWTA, was also awarded the fuel concession in the deal. Unfortunately the current pump, card machine, and tank are owned by the previous vendor. (They also have the fuel concession at a couple of other small fields as well.) So to get into the fuel business, all SWTA has to do is buy and install the equipment. I was even interested in going in on the deal as an investment opportunity. But as it turns out, the equipment and installation would be about $60K for the cheapest, serviceable, we can find. At $1 profit per gallon sold, we'd be priced a bit high for the area. At $0.50 profit per gallon, we might be an attractive fuel location, but not enough to get everyone to go out of their way. The current concessionaire sells about 400 gallons per month. So figure 25 years to pay off the equipment and then start turning a profit. Needless to say, the current guy is going to get to keep the concession for the foreseeable future. It's not easy to make a profit selling fuel.

20 hours ago, Cody Stallings said:

Where does one Aquire one or five of these Hanger Elves?

Would love to have a couple, for a couple Hanger projects.

Scientists that study hangar elves find that they are much more likely to show up if there is a refrigerator in the hangar for some reason.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Cody Stallings said:

Where does one Aquire one or five of these Hanger Elves?

Would love to have a couple, for a couple Hanger projects.

If you find them, send them my way.  

I am stocking the refrigerator with plenty of cold ones and ordering the Crazed Pilot Bullet LEDs + reflectors.... just in case.

@LANCECASPER, did you buy the wig-wag controller?  I want to do that.

@Cody Stallings if my guys figure this out, I will pass along the resources.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Bryan said:

If you find them, send them my way.  

I am stocking the refrigerator with plenty of cold ones and ordering the Crazed Pilot Bullet LEDs + reflectors.... just in case.

@LANCECASPER, did you buy the wig-wag controller?  I want to do that.

@Cody Stallings if my guys figure this out, I will pass along the resources.

I did not buy the wig-wag.

• Like 1