FAA aviation safety inspector.

kerry

I received a letter from the FAA stating a IA that worked on my plane is under investigation.  The letter says I need to schedule an appointment so they can evaluate all the records.  I called the aviation safety inspector and he requested to meet me at the airport so he can look at the airplane and copy the records.  The letter also stated that I'm not under investigation and the record examination will not affect the airworthiness of my aircraft.

Makes me feel a bit uneasy that he wants to see the plane.  Has anyone had this happen to them?  Should I expect the same result as a ramp check.  What should I do if he request to enter the plane or remove inspection panels.  I have the AOPA legal plan and I'll call them Monday for their advice.

Easiest just comply, there was an DME (designated mechanic examiner) under investigation and the FAA retested 2000+ A&P's here in Texas, this also included the aircraft they had worked on. inconvenience for the owners, pain in the ass for the A&Ps

• Like 2

I received a letter from the FAA stating a IA that worked on my plane is under investigation.  The letter says I need to schedule an appointment so they can evaluate all the records.  I called the aviation safety inspector and he requested to meet me at the airport so he can look at the airplane and copy the records.  The letter also stated that I'm not under investigation and the record examination will not affect the airworthiness of my aircraft.
Makes me feel a bit uneasy that he wants to see the plane.  Has anyone had this happen to them?  Should I expect the same result as a ramp check.  What should I do if he request to enter the plane or remove inspection panels.  I have the AOPA legal plan and I'll call them Monday for their advice.
I just went thru something very similar to what you have to do. My AP did a whole lot of pencil pushing and other not so kosher deals. Best thing to do is comply and have all transactions requested in writing and answered in writing. The FSDO in Fargo actually requested it that way for me and pictures were used as a proof positive.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

If you're coming up on another annual it may be better to see if you can have an annual done by another IA.

I have a friend who was an IA. After he worked on a plane the owner took it to another shop for unrelated work. That shop didn't like his work, called the FSDO and in the end he lost both his IA and his A&P. I've never asked what they found but he's old enough that if they told him he had to retest I could see him giving them the middle finger.

-Robert

5 hours ago, Jim Peace said:

Bad advice.  I would talk to a lawyer....too many FAA FSDO people make the rules up as they go.  They have very little oversight from the mother ship.

Why? In the end the FSDO is going to look at your logs and your plane so might as well get it over with. If you think the FAA is out to get you, you damn sure don't want them pissed as well

1 hour ago, RLCarter said:

Why? In the end the FSDO is going to look at your logs and your plane so might as well get it over with. If you think the FAA is out to get you, you damn sure don't want them pissed as well

FACT:  The local FSDO boys do make up the rules as they go.  They have a strange way of interpreting what is written in the FAR's from FDSO to FSDO.  If you don't think so just ask any A&P.  Some regions will approve a repair or a modification and some will not it depends on the person in the FSDO not what is written.

I love that classic story on the fed who wrote up a guy because he thought the had an unreported ground strike.  It was just the Q tip propellers.  The list is long in that department.

I am not saying to be mean to the inspector.  Just let them know that a lawyer will be sitting on on the "discussion."  It is funny how the tone of them acting like a cop and that they are better than you will change into they are just there to help.

• Like 2

I would do like they do everything they do.    Tell them you will need a specific plan of what they need.   You will need to meet beforehand to review the plan and agree to the scope. Agree to possible outcomes.  Then agree to time and place and duration of the at airport review what documents will be reviewed.   A sign off of the outcome needs to be completed at the airport.

Not a lawyer.  Just a Program Director

• Like 1

On 9/29/2018 at 10:46 PM, kerry said:

I would definitely speak with a lawyer just to ensure that you cooperate to the extent required under the law...and no more.  Something does not smell right with this ASI if he actually:

A.) requested to look at the airplane and copy the records

and also stated

B.) the record examination will not affect the airworthiness of my aircraft

Those two statements are not compatible in the way that you've stated them.  If there are entries in your logs that are found to be incorrect or logged maintenance outside the parameters of what is IAW the Administrator/Manufacturer or there is maintenance found on the aircraft that the inspector has deemed outside the standards acceptable to the Administrator/Manufacturer, corrective measures will need to be taken before the aircraft can be flown.

Make no mistake, my issue is not with the ASI's duty to ensure that a mechanic who performed/recorded maintenance on an aircraft did so IAW the Administrator/Manufacturer.  My issue is with the ASI suggesting that said investigation of records will not affect the airworthiness of your aircraft.  That statement is completely false and smells of a bureaucrat engaging in "good cop" behavior in order to facilitate cooperation on a "fishing expedition".

Edited by Shadrach
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hephaestus said:

If your IA cut corners wouldn't you want to know your aircraft was sound? Yes there's probably a financial impact if he did - but isnt it better to know and have it addressed and be able to sue than have your estate sue later?

Indeed there are standards to which mx must be performed, but it is impossible to remove the subjectivity from every interpretation.  A know several PMIs and ASIs personally.   There are good ones and not so good ones just like any other profession.  A challenge is the shortage of new hires with practical field knowledge about MX and airworthiness.  The old timers are retiring before the the tribal knowledge can be passed on and that creates an environment that allows for folks with enforcement authority without knowledge authority.  If you've ever had a boss that doesn't know his a$$ form a whole in the ground, imagine being under investigation under the same scenario.  A lot of these things get solved as an investigation moves up the food chain, but that does not diminish the initial pain.

Let's say that the IA in question has a certificate action...

What happens to your previous maintenance records?  If he was the last to perform the work / annual inspection is your aircraft no longer airworthy?  What could they be looking for?  Work that doesn't match the records or more likely records that don't match the work or lack thereof?

When's your plane due for annual?  

On ‎10‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 3:17 PM, bradp said:

Let's say that the IA in question has a certificate action...

What happens to your previous maintenance records?  If he was the last to perform the work / annual inspection is your aircraft no longer airworthy?  What could they be looking for?  Work that doesn't match the records or more likely records that don't match the work or lack thereof?

When's your plane due for annual?  

Just did my annual last June.  I just got a call from the ASI yesterday.  He says he doesn't need to look at my plane.  He's coming to my work on Monday and making copies of my aircraft log books.