Is there an stc to remove the cooling shroud?

Hello,

I heard there is an stc available to remove the cooling shroud (aka Doghouse) that covers the top of the engine on an M20E.  Does anyone have experience with this, and is it worth it?  From a maintenance perspective, it sure is annoying to have to remove this shroud every time I want to work on the engine.  My cylinder temps run on the cool side anyway.  Thanks for any info regarding this.

10 minutes ago, Keith20EH said:

Hello,

I heard there is an stc available to remove the cooling shroud (aka Doghouse) that covers the top of the engine on an M20E.  Does anyone have experience with this, and is it worth it?  From a maintenance perspective, it sure is annoying to have to remove this shroud every time I want to work on the engine.  My cylinder temps run on the cool side anyway.  Thanks for any info regarding this.

Hi Kieth,

There are a couple of threads floating around right now.  Not aware of an STC at the moment but would be interested as well.  I find myself rebuilding every 500 hours.  I’m curious, what year is your E?  I thought only the 64 Es had the doghouse.   

My ‘66 E has doghouse.  ZERO temp issues with engine.  My A&P services/maintains engine and doghouse.  I would be interested in Sabre Cowl with relocation of oil cooler/elimination of Ram Air/Relocation of Air Filter IF/WHEN the hint of oil temp issues are resolved and speed increase documented.  Aesthetically it is a home run.  They are working through “issues” on “first up” prototypes.  I am confident that in final iteration it will be: Better looking/Faster/as cool as OEM.  Sabre is NOT a “full-time” Mod guy.  He is a dabbler doing overtime.  He gets mad at me for challenging the concept (I do it out of love and hope for perfection) which I understand because he is not doing this full time...I am a believer that THIS is the ultimate way to mod a vintage Mooney and “lose” the doghouse and additional exterior drag...

Check it out.

10 hours ago, Keith20EH said:

Mine is a ‘66 M20E and want to remove it, I will keep digging and let you know if I find this stc.

FAA website lists all STCs by model, don’t think I ever saw this, but it’s worth a look.  So, we have ‘64 through at least ‘66. Wonder if they were all the same, I know the cowls are different.  

Oh, I too am looking forward to see the Sabre cowl, should be a good alternative.

7 hours ago, MyNameIsNobody said:

My ‘66 E has doghouse.  ZERO temp issues with engine.  My A&P services/maintains engine and doghouse.  I would be interested in Sabre Cowl with relocation of oil cooler/elimination of Ram Air/Relocation of Air Filter IF/WHEN the hint of oil temp issues are resolved and speed increase documented.  Aesthetically it is a home run.  They are working through “issues” on “first up” prototypes.  I am confident that in final iteration it will be: Better looking/Faster/as cool as OEM.  Sabre is NOT a “full-time” Mod guy.  He is a dabbler doing overtime.  He gets mad at me for challenging the concept (I do it out of love and hope for perfection) which I understand because he is not doing this full time...I am a believer that THIS is the ultimate way to mod a vintage Mooney and “lose” the doghouse and additional exterior drag...

Check it out.

Issues have been resolved. Oil temp problem was on the airplane for quite some time before the mod and didn’t change because of my mod. The speed increases have been documented and verified on 2 of the four airplanes I’ve modified with the Gen 1 cowling mod. The new Gen 2 cowling which is a completely new cowling has been finalized and the prototype being built. It will fit from a J model and back. 

I’m not aware of an STC to remove the doghouse, but you could easily install baffling from a later model E that doesn’t have a doghouse.

David

• Like 2

I see the doghouse is not universally loved, but I really like mine.  Flying in the ATL area, my engine/oil temps are never a problem even on the hotest day.  On my C, the cowl flaps are fixed, so I don'thave to futz with them.

When I bought my C, the doghouse had some cracks which were easily repaired.  Having the prop balanced stopped the doghouse craking issue.

At a previous Mooney summit, I asked Bob Kromer why the doghouse was discontinued.  He indicated that it was a cost saving measure...not that it didn't do a good job of keeping the engine cool.

• 2 years later...