Where can I get Training in a Mooney in Fort Worth, Texas?

Vagus

Good afternoon everyone,

I am an insured renter and have over 200 hours single engine land in various types of aircraft but I always wanted to fly a Mooney. I am looking to get some training in a Mooney M20C to M20F and was wondering if anyone knows someone in the Fort Worth area within 50 miles that I could go and get some training time with a CFI?

Please let me know. I appreciate your help.

James

1 hour ago, James0519 said:

Good afternoon everyone,

I am an insured renter and have over 200 hours single engine land in various types of aircraft but I always wanted to fly a Mooney. I am looking to get some training in a Mooney M20C to M20F and was wondering if anyone knows someone in the Fort Worth area within 50 miles that I could go and get some training time with a CFI?

Please let me know. I appreciate your help.

James

Welcome aboard James...

I don't have an answer for your question other than that's a pretty rare situation. There are CFI's that own Mooneys but typically don't carry the insurance level required to offer instruction in them. On the other hand, there are lots of us in the area who own and fly Mooneys and are happy to let you do some flying from the right seat. I'm in Austin but get up to the DFW area on occasion and would be happy to give you a ride and let you see what it's like to fly one.

• Like 1

The problem comes down to insurance. I'd let @Parker_Woodruff fly my Mooney anytime... in fact I'd love to get him up in my plane and learn a few things myself. But while my insurance would cover Parker flying my plane. It would not cover the flight if he was acting as a CFI with a client in the left seat.

Getting insurance for a complex high performance airplane like a Mooney to cover instruction is an expensive item.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gsxrpilot said:

The problem comes down to insurance. I'd let @Parker_Woodruff fly my Mooney anytime... in fact I'd love to get him up in my plane and learn a few things myself. But while my insurance would cover Parker flying my plane. It would not cover the flight if he was acting as a CFI with a client in the left seat.

Getting insurance for a complex high performance airplane like a Mooney to cover instruction is an expensive item.

I ck'd on adding someone to my policy so she could finish her commercial, premium went from 13ish to over 7k

I’m not aware of a Mooney for rent in DFW. 

James- you may think ‘we’ are over thinking this, but I’m fairly confident that gsxrpilot isn’t part of the ‘we.’  

I suggest you do a little more investigation on aircraft insurance and how your suggested arrangement would affect an owner. Insurance for rental aircraft is substantially more expensive than owner flown aircraft.  Even if an an owner added you to the policy as a named renter, the rate would go up substantially due to your low time in the plane. 

I’ve heard of a few Mooneys for rent elsewhere in the country. Your best bet is to travel to one of those planes.

• Like 2

Virtually everyone buys the Mooney first and then gets transition training in their Mooney. What you are looking for is a school or club with a Mooney. The CFI will be come with the school or club. That’s the only way you’ll get left seat dual in a Mooney you don’t own.
Many Mooney CFI’s here, but none of us carry the additional insurance required to rent our planes and most of us wouldn’t want too. There are a couple of such schools here in Southern California, but I have never heard of any in Texas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17 hours ago, James0519 said:

@gsxrpilotI do have renters insurance and I believe it would count as renting and so I would be covered correct? Also the CFI would have insurance. The owner would just want to rent his or her airplane. I think we are over thinking this a little lol... 

Most aircraft owners just cover their aircraft for their personal pleasure and business uses excluding any operation for which a charge is made.  A couple/few insurance companies have some limited renter endorsements that will allow a named pilot to rent the aircraft.

If you have Non-Owned Hull and Liability insurance, it covers YOU.  YOUR insurance company isn't just going to volunteer to fix that owner's aircraft, especially in the case where the incident/accident wasn't your fault.

The owner needs to comply with the policy for his hull & liability coverage to apply to him.

17 hours ago, kortopates said:

Virtually everyone buys the Mooney first and then gets transition training in their Mooney. What you are looking for is a school or club with a Mooney. The CFI will be come with the school or club. That’s the only way you’ll get left seat dual in a Mooney you don’t own.
Many Mooney CFI’s here, but none of us carry the additional insurance required to rent our planes and most of us wouldn’t want too. There are a couple of such schools here in Southern California, but I have never heard of any in Texas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What would the process typically be to get transition training in a Mooney assuming one buys their Mooney first, but has no prior experience flying one?

Just now, christothes said:

What would the process typically be to get transition training in a Mooney assuming one buys their Mooney first, but has no prior experience flying one?

buy the plane and hire a CFI who meets the Open Pilot Warranty (or name one the insurance company will accept).  Fly the required time with the CFI.

19 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

Always up for a joyride and live right next to KDAL or I'm a pretty easy drive to RBD or ADS.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, James0519 said:

Ok I understand. The owner needs to add a pilot to their policy if someone is renting which increases the insurance cost. That really is too bad. Well I needed to ask. Thank you all for the help. 

Its much worse than that, its changes the type of policy from pleasure flying to operating the plane as a business which means $$$$

On 9/28/2018 at 11:36 PM, James0519 said:

Ok I understand. The owner needs to add a pilot to their policy if someone is renting which increases the insurance cost. That really is too bad. Well I needed to ask. Thank you all for the help. 

You keep using the word renting.   Renting has its own meaning to both the plane maintenance and insurance.  For the plane the FAA would require it have 100 hour inspections completed.  For the insurance it take it from private insurance to commercial.   A $5.00 partnership agreement  or $50,000 C Model changes that.

14 hours ago, James0519 said:

Yup that's too bad. But it makes sense. I'll keep looking but most likely I'll need to buy one as you guys mentioned. 

Or buy into one... There are always guys looking for a partner to buy into their airplane. That's an inexpensive way to sorta dip your toe in the water.

• 2 years later...