Fly to Mexico or Tucson?......Recommendations?

AaronDC8402

14 hours ago, nels said:

My insurance does not cover my plane outside the US.

Are you sure ? Every policy I've ever had, going back over 20 years has included outside the US and it was included for free and I didn't specifically ask for it. My current policy reads: "GEOGRAPHICAL LIMITS: The contiguous 48 United States, Mexico, the Bahamas, and Canada south of 54 degrees North Latitude."

3 hours ago, KLRDMD said:

Are you sure ? Every policy I've ever had, going back over 20 years has included outside the US and it was included for free and I didn't specifically ask for it. My current policy reads: "GEOGRAPHICAL LIMITS: The contiguous 48 United States, Mexico, the Bahamas, and Canada south of 54 degrees North Latitude."

I busted those limits this summer. Churchill Manitoba is just shy of 59 degrees North. I asked to make sure I had coverage for Alaska and I do including all of Canada.

Agreed, back in early 2000's when this Avweb article on the subject was written no one excluded Mexico. But it's possible the insurance company is trying to say Mexico may not recognize your US written policy which is a lie I hear all the time from US brokers that want to sell you more insurance or just don't know any better.
https://www.avweb.com/news/insure/181584-1.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, KLRDMD said:

This is the first time I was asked the question.. I have Traverse Insurance and they shopped rates and found the least expensive one. This question was posed on my current application and I’m fairly certain is now in my contract. I had no interest in out of country travel so I paid little attention. Maybe Travers was just sharpening the pencil. Either way, I was happy with my premium.

On 10/6/2018 at 2:50 PM, nels said:

This is the first time I was asked the question.. I have Traverse Insurance and they shopped rates and found the least expensive one. This question was posed on my current application and I’m fairly certain is now in my contract. I had no interest in out of country travel so I paid little attention. Maybe Travers was just sharpening the pencil. Either way, I was happy with my premium.

It would be good to read you policy and understand what your coverage limits really are. For starters, Traverse is an agency or broker not an underwriter. The actual insurance company that wrote your policy, or the underwriter, that Traverse sold you will be clearly shown on your policy. You should be able to ask your broker to provide a pdf electronic copy of it for you via email. Its a good idea to review, not just to review coverage as you expected, but also for errors. By broker made a few errors including model that even got repeated on subsequent years by the underwriter but were always corrected once I brought them to their attention.