Mooney statesman as a first plane?

Wyo Pilot

I have owned a1968 m20G for five years now. It’s a good bird 135-140 knots tas at 10g/hr. The leg room is nice but useful load low with full fuel. About three big boys to a ballgame is about all  I can get in mine. I think older Mooney’s are good family with small children or a great couples plane. I see some people have already mentioned that the kids grow- my boy is now six feet plus and 190. Also not many golf bags get in a Mooney.

Hoot, we have this conversation here about every other month. The bottom line is that any of the pre J models should fit your needs. What you want to look for is a panel that meets your needs, adding new avionics is a lot more costly that buying a plane with them already installed. You also want an engine that's been treated well. And a sound airframe with bladders or quality sealed tanks. And...

Vintage Mooneys can be found listed for $20,000 and over $100,000. The cheapest ones are likely to be the worst bargains.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Bob_Belville said:

Hoot, we have this conversation here about every other month. The bottom line is that any of the pre J models should fit your needs. What you want to look for is a panel that meets your needs, adding new avionics is a lot more costly that buying a plane with them already installed. You also want an engine that's been treated well. And a sound airframe with bladders or quality sealed tanks. And...

Vintage Mooneys can be found listed for $20,000 and over $100,000. The cheapest ones are likely to be the worst bargains.

We need this whole statement stuck somewhere it can be referred to regularly and often. And this last bit is the absolute truth!  Well said Bob.

• Like 1