An Absolutely Horrible Day!

donkaye

The old engine is off and the new  one is going on.  It doesn't look promising for having the plane back this  year.  However, I took the opportunity to what I consider upgrade the panel upgrade during this down time. After months of playing around with the awkward altitude and vs preselect on the G500 TXi, I just bit the bullet and am adding the Garmin GCU 485 Controller.  I think I mentioned it on another post somewhere on MS.  All parts are in and the new panel just arrived today.  It still needs to be powder coated and painted, but this is a preview of what it is  going to look like.  When it's installed I'll post the completed panel.

7588.jpeg

• Like 3

The old engine is off and the new  one is going on.  It doesn't look promising for having the plane back this  year.  However, I took the opportunity to what I consider upgrade the panel upgrade during this down time. After months of playing around with the awkward altitude and vs preselect on the G500 TXi, I just bit the bullet and am adding the Garmin GCU 485 Controller.  I think I mentioned it on another post somewhere on MS.  All parts are in and the new panel just arrived today.  It still needs to be powder coated and painted, but this is a preview of what it is  going to look like.  When it's installed I'll post the completed panel.
7588.thumb.jpeg.704f46cfa93fe9022c5f744eca173601.jpeg

Very nice Don.
Can’t wait to get mine in the air.
Apparently my panel didn’t come back from the painters yesterday as planned so the re-weigh is now off.
Consequently I won’t be getting mine back for Xmas either.
The old “we ran out of time” excuse.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

It's January 7, 2019.  I didn't get the plane back by the end of the year, but I'm told it will be done tomorrow.  It's been a long 3+ months.  If the weather holds, (it probably won't) I'll go over and break in the engine tomorrow afternoon.  Otherwise, I'll wait for a weather break to do it.  Knock on wood, except for the time without the plane, this process has gone relatively smoothly--even dealing with the insurance company--so far.

Timing worked out perfectly for installing the new, new panel.  Peter finished it today, and says everything works.  Here's the latest picture.  New is the upgraded MVP-50 Display and the addition of the GCU 485 Control unit.  I'm REALLY looking forward to that!  No more hassle with the clumsy TXi knobs and touch screen, and the PFD is  back on the left where it belongs.  Next thing on the agenda, either the GFC 500 or the AeroCruz 230.  The GFC 500 does advanced VNAV and IAS clinbs and descents.  The AeroCruz, if it becomes real, provides easy installation.

7763.jpeg

• Like 7

It's January 7, 2019.  I didn't get the plane back by the end of the year, but I'm told it will be done tomorrow.  It's been a long 3+ months.  If the weather holds, (it probably won't) I'll go over and break in the engine tomorrow afternoon.  Otherwise, I'll wait for a weather break to do it.  Knock on wood, except for the time without the plane, this process has gone relatively smoothly--even dealing with the insurance company--so far.
 Timing worked out perfectly for installing the new, new panel.  Peter finished it today, and says everything works.  Here's the latest picture.  New is the upgraded MVP-50 Display and the addition of the GCU 485 Control unit.  I'm REALLY looking forward to that!  No more hassle with the clumsy TXi knobs and touch screen, and the PFD is  back on the left where it belongs.  Next thing on the agenda, either the GFC 500 or the AeroCruz 230.  The GFC 500 does advanced VNAV and IAS clinbs and descents.  The AeroCruz, if it becomes real, provides easy installation.
7763.thumb.jpeg.752e667a4b0087eb71aedbdd5d52b993.jpeg

Very neat and practical Don.
Looks like your panel is bigger than mine. Implying the M model had a design upgrade from my 1990 model. Do you know if that is correct.

43 minutes ago, Steve Skinner said:

Very neat and practical Don.
Looks like your panel is bigger than mine. Implying the M model had a design upgrade from my 1990 model. Do you know if that is correct.

Steve, your panel is the same height as mine.  It wasn't lowered 2" until the mid nineties.

My plane has finally been completed, but the weather hasn't cooperated in getting over to it and doing the engine break-in.

Steve, your panel is the same height as mine.  It wasn't lowered 2" until the mid nineties.
My plane has finally been completed, but the weather hasn't cooperated in getting over to it and doing the engine break-in.

Bet you excited to have this saga behind you.
I was comparing positions of the GRU thinking yours looked more accessible but in fact they are in the same spot. It’s the 1060 that is in a different position.
It seems time doesn’t enter the equation when it comes to aviation repairs or upgrades.
Mine took from 1st week in November till - well it’s ready but I’ve been in Japan skiing.
Delays were caused by Garmin initially selling stock we had earmarked and then panel painter interrupted a pre Xmas completion.
Now I’ll only have 2 weeks of trials before it goes to the upholsterer for an entire interior. - still original at the moment.

2 hours ago, Bryan said:

Did you not go with the synthetic vision in the Txi?

If you are referring to me, I have SVT, but it needs GPS position to work and the plane was still in the hangar at the time the pictures were taken.  If Steve doesn't have it, he should get it.  It's worth having in my opinion.  The flight path marker alone is worth the price of admission.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steve Skinner said:

Bet you excited to have this saga behind you.
I was comparing positions of the GRU thinking yours looked more accessible but in fact they are in the same spot. It’s the 1060 that is in a different position.
It seems time doesn’t enter the equation when it comes to aviation repairs or upgrades.
Mine took from 1st week in November till - well it’s ready but I’ve been in Japan skiing.
Delays were caused by Garmin initially selling stock we had earmarked and then panel painter interrupted a pre Xmas completion.
Now I’ll only have 2 weeks of trials before it goes to the upholsterer for an entire interior. - still original at the moment.

Peter, my avionics person, is  always thinking ahead.  He centered the right knob of the GCU 485 right under the right knob of the 1060.

Yes, the saga is almost behind me.  I still have to settle up with the insurance company.  I got an advance on the settlement, but need to fly the plane before I'll be willing to sign off on the balance.  They were fair to me.  No real arguments; a little negotiation; fair.  All situations like mine should go as smoothly.

• Like 1

Peter, my avionics person, is  always thinking ahead.  He centered the right knob of the GCU 485 right under the right knob of the 1060.
Yes, the saga is almost behind me.  I still have to settle up with the insurance company.  I got an advance on the settlement, but need to fly the plane before I'll be willing to sign off on the balance.  They were fair to me.  No real arguments; a little negotiation; fair.  All situations like mine should go as smoothly.

Yes the GCU is better positioned in your aircraft definitely.
Had I not seen it I would have thought mine perfect.
We’ll see if it bugs me enough to move it although it may not fit further left

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are referring to me, I have SVT, but it needs GPS position to work and the plane was still in the hangar at the time the pictures were taken.  If Steve doesn't have it, he should get it.  It's worth having in my opinion.  The flight path marker alone is worth the price of admission.

Tech hasn’t yet turned on SVT 11 hrs free trial but I’ll no doubt purchase it.
I won’t be adding chartview at this stage as the MPD map page shows great situational awareness. So rather keep charts on iPad on my yet to be purchased yolk mount.
The EIS to iPad will be going on the pax panel. It updates instantly and shows exact numbers of all instruments.
Don, what bugs did/do you have with your installation. I have 2 Fuel flow is off the charts and not correctable by calibration and intermittent HDG FAIL. Garmin say this is electrical interference. I’ve turned off everything. Only 2 things remain 1of which I’ll try on Sunday pull auto pilot breaker and turn off fan at front.

2 hours ago, Steve Skinner said:

Tech hasn’t yet turned on SVT 11 hrs free trial but I’ll no doubt purchase it.
I won’t be adding chartview at this stage as the MPD map page shows great situational awareness. So rather keep charts on iPad on my yet to be purchased yolk mount.
The EIS to iPad will be going on the pax panel. It updates instantly and shows exact numbers of all instruments.
Don, what bugs did/do you have with your installation. I have 2 Fuel flow is off the charts and not correctable by calibration and intermittent HDG FAIL. Garmin say this is electrical interference. I’ve turned off everything. Only 2 things remain 1of which I’ll try on Sunday pull auto pilot breaker and turn off fan at front.

For the TXi upgrade the only issue I had was with my GTS800 traffic interface.  Turned out to be a setting and was fixed in about an hour.  When I had the original G500 installed, it took them about a week to get the GMU 44 magnetometer to operate properly while they were doing the install.  The  strobes and lights in the wing were creating too much interference.  Peter completely rewired the lights to properly ground them and that fixed the problem.  FF was not an issue, but I have the MVP-50.  The EIS wasn't available at the time. 

For the TXi upgrade the only issue I had was with my GTS800 traffic interface.  Turned out to be a setting and was fixed in about an hour.  When I had the original G500 installed, it took them about a week to get the GMU 44 magnetometer to operate properly while they were doing the install.  The  strobes and lights in the wing were creating too much interference.  Peter completely rewired the lights to properly ground them and that fixed the problem.  FF was not an issue, but I have the MVP-50.  The EIS wasn't available at the time. 

Thanks Don
I was running with everything off including strobes but I’m wondering if I need to pull the breakers rather than just switch off.
You don’t normally cruise around flashing like an ambulance do you unless down low?
How did you work out it was the lights and were they on.

7 hours ago, Steve Skinner said:

Thanks Don
I was running with everything off including strobes but I’m wondering if I need to pull the breakers rather than just switch off.
You don’t normally cruise around flashing like an ambulance do you unless down low?
How did you work out it was the lights and were they on.

Again, they found the issue during the upgrade.  Part of the procedure when the GMU was installed, is to check for interference with the lights on.

Again, they found the issue during the upgrade.  Part of the procedure when the GMU was installed, is to check for interference with the lights on.

We’re down to either interference from the auto pilot or alternators
He degaussed the whole area around the magnetometer so he’s hoping that could be the issue.
It didn’t fail with the lights on and I had every light on.
He’s allegedly fixed the fuel flow.
So with 5.5hrs and 11 approaches I’m getting there.
I’m putting an iPad mini in the spare space on pax panel which can be used for EIS or watching a movie.
8 hours next week then I’ll turn on SVT trial.
Not much point at 18000’ to and from Melbourne.