An Absolutely Horrible Day!

donkaye

1 hour ago, amillet said:

Litigation attorneys love clients who want to fight on principal, no matter the cost;)

This would not be a case based on principle, but on fact.  I really don't want to get ahead of myself, though,  because I really have had a good relationship with this shop, they've apologized profusely, and said they would put the plane back together better than new.  I think I'll know next week how this is going to run its course, especially if the shop goes to bat for me with their insurance company. 

9 minutes ago, donkaye said:

This would not be a case based on principle, but on fact.  I really don't want to get ahead of myself, though,  because I really have had a good relationship with this shop, they've apologized profusely, and said they would put the plane back together better than new.  I think I'll know next week how this is going to run its course, especially if the shop goes to bat for me with their insurance company. 

Good shops like that who will look after their customers are somewhat rare IMHO. And it will pay off in the long run, to maintain that relationship. Shit happens, and we don't always get 100% compensation. 

I like your approach.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, RobertGary1 said:

When I had someone damage my plane I just claimed through my own policy and let them deal with the other guys insurance. Worked out well and besides I wasn’t at fault it didn’t affect my rates. 

-Robert 

It may come to that and I have contacted them and prepared them to act, but too many cooks in the kitchen spoil the broth.  As a Real Estate Broker and Developer during another time in my life, I've negotiated many deals.  I'm involved for the time being.   Also, my policy doesn't cover loss of value, loss of use (?), loss of income,  prorated insurance, and prorated hangar during the down time, so I'm not sure they would go after that for me.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, amillet said:

Litigation attorneys love clients who want to fight on principal, no matter the cost;)

I am a plaintiffs lawyer. I have never billed  a client by the hour in my life. Never would. I consider myself a partner with my client.  If a matter is not worth pursuing, I can assure you I’m not wasting my time and money. The damages  components that we have been discussing in this thread are not about principle.  I  verily believe that if what happened to Don happened to you you would want to be made whole as well.  Just sayin.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, amillet said:

And, to let you know that my heart is in the right place, if I was a California lawyer I would represent Don gratis to make sure everything went the right way for him because as an aviator and aircraft owner I can feel his pain.  Forget the shop, there is an insurance company involved, he needs to be made at least whole. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bravoman said:

And, to let you know that my heart is in the right place, if I was a California lawyer I would represent Don gratis to make sure everything went the right way for him because as an aviator and aircraft owner I can feel his pain.  Forget the shop, there is an insurance company involved, he needs to be made at least whole. 

Thank you for your comments!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bravoman said:

Another factor is if he wants to use the shop again. Lawsuits are emotionally difficult for all involved (other than the lawyers). A similar situation happened to a friend and the shop was advised not to do business with him again. So he lost a shop he liked. 

-Robert 

No one said a lawsuit was inevitable and quite frankly if a shop did to my plane what they did to his I don’t think I could get past it to resume a relationship, not when it comes to aircraft maintenance. If we were talking about ski boats, maybe.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Hyett6420 said:

Ill add my two penny worth.  In 2012 a small piece of corrosion was found on AL upper spar cap in the wheel,well.  A bit of blending was done, then a NDT was carried out that showed the blending had taken the repair out of tolerance.  Thenaircraft was taken to another aircraft repairer but the first engineer did not put the NDT or corrosion in the logs.

2nd repairer took aircraft apart (fueslage off wings) further blended area and removed corrosion, measured spar cap with feeler guages and signed off as airworthy and in limits.

fast forward to 2015 i find the aircraft and asked engineer 1 to do a PPI, he never mentions the NDT report.  All logs seem to be ok.  So i buy the aircraft.  Engineer then signs off an Airworthiness review cert, and two annuals.  Aircraft is sent to Seppe to be rebuilt and everything wrong with her fixed.  As  I did not know about thenspar issue i never mentioned it to Seppe.  Seppe asked my engineer if he knew of anything wrong with the plane, he sent a list but never mentioned the NDT report nor the spar cap.  Aircraft was resprayed etc.

Engineer 1 this year REFUSED to sign the Annual off citing the spar issue.  Aircraft now in Seppe as they are the only people i trust.  Lawsuit is pending against engineer 1 amd 2.  Gross negligence, possibly criminal in Engineer 1s case as they deliberately hid the NDT report amd allowed the aircraft to fly.

NB the cap is out of limits by 9 thous of an. Inch.  But out of limits never the less.  

So in my mind if you cock up this badly you will feel the full force of my legal team.  

Ouch!So they have to replace or or get a der to design a repair....

On 9/30/2018 at 7:13 PM, Bravoman said:

When I got my reman a couple of years back I went through AirPower as they were the least expensive supplier. I understand they are the volume king so to speak and I guess that is why they have the best prices on the Lycoming factory engines. 

They all charge the same price for Lycoming engines but they don’t charge 10% sales tax to Californian residence. 

-Robert 

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it's been 2 months since I made my first post on this subject.  All repairs have been made to the plane, the Annual is completed, and now we're just waiting on the new engine (which is supposed to be done next Thursday) and new prop to arrive.  I found out that the shop really went to bat for me on getting a new prop because I'm told the old one was repairable.  There was just no way that was going to work for me.  The insurance company, through its adjustor, listened to my requests and for the most part was very responsive to my wishes.  Baring any unforeseen issues between now and when the the engine and prop are installed, given that this happened, the result could not have been handled in any better manner.

• Like 18

I would have loved to have gone with the 4 blade MT, but not waiting 4 months or more for it to be made and shipped from Germany.  I could have taken the overhaul on the old prop and used it temporarily until the MT arrived, but all things considered (possible problems have been noted with MT prop shedding paint and being difficult to repair that), I just don't need any more problems to deal with.  So I went with the standard McCauley prop I have been using satisfactorily for the past 26 years.  The savings can go towards the GFC 500 when it becomes available.

Others have commented on the KFC 150 being a good autopilot and I concur, but since the full scale reduction of the modern GPS from 5 miles to 2 miles, its sensitivity to wing rock has increased.  I put a lot of money into resolving the issue.  It helped, but not enough.  Luckily, in GPSS mode it is rock solid, but in all other modes, especially Approach Mode, there is objectionable wing rock.  I look forward to having those issues resolved with the replacement of the KFC 150 with the GFC 500.  After that, I wonder what other new technology that hasn't even been thought up today that will become available and will be too irresistible to refrain from adding to the plane.  I look forward to whatever it may be.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Danb said:

Sounds great Don since it appears to have gone as good as practical what insurance company do you have. When an incident occurs then were at the mercy of the insurance folks, yours went well.

I didn't have to file a claim with my insurance company at all.  All my interaction with the shop's insurance company was through their adjustor, Kern Wooley, P.C..  While I was told the name of the Insurance company, I don't remember its name right now.

• 2 weeks later...

The  new reman engine arrived a day early on December 12th.  I arrived at a settlement with the Insurance Company last week and received a FedEX delivery from them of partial payment on the same day.  The balance will be paid on completion of the repairs.  Fingers crossed that maybe I will have the plane back this year.

• Like 13

13 minutes ago, donkaye said:

The  new reman engine arrived a day early on December 12th.  I arrived at a settlement with the Insurance Company last week and received a FedEX delivery from them of partial payment on the same day.  The balance will be paid on completion of the repairs.  Fingers crossed that maybe I will have the plane back this year.

Nice!  3 months to get the engine back (along with all the presumed dicking around with insurance) is better than I thought it would be.  What's the ETA on the installation and prop?  That'd be an awesome Christmas present to get your plane back!

16 minutes ago, jaylw314 said:

Nice!  3 months to get the engine back (along with all the presumed dicking around with insurance) is better than I thought it would be.  What's the ETA on the installation and prop?  That'd be an awesome Christmas present to get your plane back!

The prop could be the holdup.  I'm not sure when it's arriving.  The engine should take about a week.