Flying to the Summit

201er

Just now, gsxrpilot said:

That really is pretty cool! He might be on flight aware as most of that flight would be over the US.

If I find the registration I’ll see if there is some history of the flights.

Clarence

47 minutes ago, 201er said:

What, no welcome party!! No balloons??? Not even someone to tell use where to go? Can someone with contact info for someone who knows what’s going on help me out? Don’t know where they’re putting me up for the night.

Go to Sharky's have a beer, shout hoary we are here.:D  When Sharky's kicks you out at closing time sleep on the beach.:D

See y'all tomorrow.

1 hour ago, M20Doc said:

My understanding was that he would climb to altitude, ride the winds with the engine rpm back to around 1500-1600.  The Victoria- Toronto leg was said to be 10+/- hours.  He also was said to have done Hay River NWT to Toronto.

I looked for the registration on the Transport Canada site but can’t find it anymore.

Clarence

The lowest holding FF I could get was 3.9 to 4.0 GPH.  Thats 2300 RPM, peak EGT and around 14" MP.... 100 MPH IAS..  That seems like the most economical I could get. I entered a "time-fuel-distance" contest.  Taxi, takeoff, climb, fly to an airport 21NM away, north (perpendicular to the leg back), about 8 miles, then  back.  so ~50 NM.   I kept writing it down over and over, and submitted my bid. 2.1 Gallons.  everyone was laughing, evben the Kitfox and Cessna 150 that entered had 4 something gallons. Everyone else a lot more than that. 

LOP takeoff, and the same 2300 RPM, peak EGT, and 14" MP as I described above. I actually flew a little faster at 15-16" sometimes at 110 MPH because turbulence kept pushing me below 100 MPH, backside of the power curve.

They filled it up before and after. I even took a passenger. When I got back they were all standing around. 2.10 gallons filled it. The only time I ever made money with my airplane, I won a 100$ gas card, and spent around 12$. 

Edited by jetdriven
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, 201er said:

What, no welcome party!! No balloons??? Not even someone to tell use where to go? Can someone with contact info for someone who knows what’s going on help me out? Don’t know where they’re putting me up for the night.

I've never had a lack of volunteers to answer that question for me . . . . 

Welcome to the South again!

3 hours ago, 201er said:

Have you found your connection yet?

@mike_elliott or @Seth may have the info you are looking for?

@Hank I made it again!  

Best regards,

-a-