Minnnesota to Laughkin, AZ trip in MidOctober 2018- Should I or Not?

Howdy Mooney lovers,

You gave me such great advice about my MN (KANE) to Bozeman (KBZN) and return I was able to handle well the smoke haze the last week in August 2018. Not bad for a flat lander's first mountain flying.

Now I need more advice. I am planning a flight with a buddy in my 1968 M20C with Turbo from MN (KANE) to Laughlin/Bullhead (KIFP) Oct 19-23. I am looking at a more southerly route to avoid the higher elevations. Looks like a route from KANE (Anoka Airport ) through Grand Island (KGRI), another leg to Dalhart (KDHT), then on to Albuquerque area (KAEG) and V12 to Needles (EED) and into KIFP. 

Anyone make a similar trip or have experience in this part of the country. I am testing the Oxygen system in my Mooney next week ( plumbed in and values all test good). I appreciate any and all advice, folks!

Yes, I spent some time in ABQ and flew out of there quite a bit many years ago.  More recently,  when I bought my aircraft in Scottsdale, I flew a fair amount of that route coming back.  Most of it is fairly flat, which is what I think you are looking for, although the altitudes are higher after ABQ, that is high plateau out there and not much mountain terrain.  You are probably going to want to route north of the Sandias when nearing Double Eagle. If you are turbocharged you can certainly go over the top, it is not all that high.  I would go over, but my aircraft is full turbo.  Reading the rest of your route, you appear not to want to do that, if so, just route north of the Sandias and then in to Double Eagle. You are picking a good time to go.  The mountains, and the Sandias in particular, generate afternoon thunderstorms, but those should be abating as fall comes.

The Sandias are a mountain range just east of ABQ, and they are mountains, not high plateau.  You can see them on a VFR chart.  There is plenty of flat land north of the Sandias and south of the Rockies, just route around the Sandias as needed.

GRI can be windy and hot.

If the weather is good, you could shorten your route by going over the lower end of the Rockies.   The OROCAs are in the 16500 range at the highest, although it is always best to take the Victor route crossings.  They generally follow the passes or lower elevations.  Taos has good services and is not generally a problem to land at.  Some of the airports up there can be because of winds, like Angel Fire.  But Taos is in the wide open once you are over the mountains.  I went there and back from KFCM a few years ago. Certainly understandable though, if you don’t want to take that on.  Your intended route cuts out mountain flying.  

Just a footnote, KAEG is named for the balloon my uncle and his two partners flew across the Atlantic.  The balloon fiesta is coming up and worth spending a day at, and the Anderson-Abruzzo balloon museum is worth a trip.  He was the person I flew with a fair amount  quite a few years ago, ABQ to LAX a couple of times, to Bakersfield, to Prescott, Naturita, CO, other spots, in a normally aspirate Baron, N5746V. That should tell you that after ABQ, there is not much mountainous terrain, just high plateau.

59 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

The roughest air in the US is in New Mexico....

Come to think of it, the two times I have been in severe turbulence ... once in a 737 (things flying around the cabin, lady I have never met left finger nail dents in my arm) and once in a PA28 (Needed a new wing after that landing after breaking the spar on landing) ... were in New Mexico. Turbulence is in New Mexico, Laughlin is in Nevada .... although a mere river swim to AZ. ;)

10 hours ago, Minnesota Mooney Guy said:

Howdy Mooney lovers,

You gave me such great advice about my MN (KANE) to Bozeman (KBZN) and return I was able to handle well the smoke haze the last week in August 2018. Not bad for a flat lander's first mountain flying.

Now I need more advice. I am planning a flight with a buddy in my 1968 M20C with Turbo from MN (KANE) to Laughlin/Bullhead (KIFP) Oct 19-23. I am looking at a more southerly route to avoid the higher elevations. Looks like a route from KANE (Anoka Airport ) through Grand Island (KGRI), another leg to Dalhart (KDHT), then on to Albuquerque area (KAEG) and V12 to Needles (EED) and into KIFP. 

Anyone make a similar trip or have experience in this part of the country. I am testing the Oxygen system in my Mooney next week ( plumbed in and values all test good). I appreciate any and all advice, folks!

I read a very interesting article on nearby Laughlin's history just yesterday.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt-sh/the_bridge_that_crossed_an_ocean

Why Laughlin?

Just keep in mind to take drinking water in the plane with you.  Long stretches of desert with no airfields nearby in case of emergency. 

Btw, the airport for Laughlin is actually in AZ (KIFP) in Bullhead City.  The winds there are usually aligned with the runway but can get very gusty at times. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, carqwik said:

Why Laughlin?

Just keep in mind to take drinking water in the plane with you.  Long stretches of desert with no airfields nearby in case of emergency. 

Btw, the airport for Laughlin is actually in AZ (KIFP) in Bullhead City.  The winds there are usually aligned with the runway but can get very gusty at times. 

Yes 2 gallons per person.  Chances are you will not need it but it's good practice.

Thanks folks - great info! The idea of heading to Casper and then heading SW is also a very helpful and gives me another route also for weather considerations. Any additional advice on routing if I go that way? I usually go 3 hours at 140 Kt. each leg so any stops or navigation  points suggested would be great!

15 minutes ago, Minnesota Mooney Guy said:

Thanks folks - great info! The idea of heading to Casper and then heading SW is also a very helpful and gives me another route also for weather considerations. Any additional advice on routing if I go that way? I usually go 3 hours at 140 Kt. each leg so any stops or navigation  points suggested would be great!

You can do a loop! 

Head down one way and back the other....

• 1 month later...

My Mooney Friends,

The flight I chose was KANE (near MSP) -fuel stop in S.Dakota and overnight in Casper, WY. Up early to fly to Delta, Utah (KDTA) and then into Bullhead CIty, AZ (KIFP). WIth my RayJay and the plumbed in oxygen it was a blast! Cruised back to Minnesota over the mountains at 15, 000 ft and loved everything about it! These little Mooney's are a real treat!

Bill

• Like 1