1970 Mooney M20C Ranger Interior panels

Hello everyone i’m currently in the process of rebuilding a 1970 Mooney M20C ranger and i’ve been looking for some interior panel that i can’t seem to find. Im currently trying to find the center pane and the throttle quadrant panel. Any help will be appreciated. 

Thank you all in advance.

5F1F7E25-2216-46BC-B8DC-332AE44279A8.jpeg

Called them 2 weeks ago for the exact same parts and they said they don't have either. If you hear something different please update this post with results. 

Oh man this has been really hard to find. i’m almost tempted to build everything out of sheet metal and summiting a 337 to the FAA but i would really like it to keep the original look. I even contacted several guys parting out Mooneys and they don’t have them if they are broken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heph,

That may be considered an owner supplied part... under certain rules, a perfectly acceptable part can be made for use by the owner, when the owner can’t obtain one commercially...

There are a few good examples of owner supplied parts around here. 

Some things are even more simple than that... it may fall under decorative covers in the interior...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

Oh man this has been really hard to find. i’m almost tempted to build everything out of sheet metal and summiting a 337 to the FAA but i would really like it to keep the original look. I even contacted several guys parting out Mooneys and they don’t have them if they are broken.

That a good business idea, i don’t see why it would be a big deal for the fed if you want to go all out you could probably get a burn cert but it would probably get approved under a field approval. I would have to ask my friend about this he works for the FAA.

Heph,
That may be considered an owner supplied part... under certain rules, a perfectly acceptable part can be made for use by the owner, when the owner can’t obtain one commercially...
There are a few good examples of owner supplied parts around here. 
Some things are even more simple than that... it may fall under decorative covers in the interior...
Best regards,
-a-

This is true im only trying to get the original one to keep the airplane looking factory original. But at the end of the day as long as it functional, safe and reliable i think any substitute will do.

I think this part request comes up about once or twice per year...

Not many people have the quadrant controls...

The plastic covers didn’t last 40years...

So there aren’t any extras in good condition...

PlanePlastics has a way to make a mold from an existing part.  But hard to make enough to make it economically worthwhile...

A copy of a copy is the usual result... with thicker than usual material being used...

Hopefully this is information you can use if contacting someone like  PlanePlastics...

We have an interior plastics guy that may have a suggestion.... @Marauder Would know his name.... the spatial interior guy... Mr. Jaeger...

Best regards,

-a-

Heph,

Somebody, a few people, have made some interesting printed parts...

There are some switch covers in use...

Somebody made some interior air flow parts for the cabin air system. All around here somewhere... use the search function to find some of the details...

Best regards,

-a-

9 hours ago, carusoam said:

Heph,

Somebody, a few people, have made some interesting printed parts...

There are some switch covers in use...

Somebody made some interior air flow parts for the cabin air system. All around here somewhere... use the search function to find some of the details...

Best regards,

-a-

Who is the resident 3D printing expert round these parts?  Would be interested in helping pull some resources together to get CAD files made and try our hand at this. 

1 hour ago, M20Doc said:

If you send your old part to Plane Plastics can they reproduce one for you?  I’ve heard of this process for a Cessna 150 part before.  Might be worth a call to them.

Clarence

That is exactly what I did when I replaced the throttle quadrant on my F about 10 years ago. $45 back then, they sent a new part and the old cracked beat up one back.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DualRatedFlyer said:

Who is the resident 3D printing expert round these parts?  Would be interested in helping pull some resources together to get CAD files made and try our hand at this. 

https://mooneyspace.com/search/?q=Print parts&sortby=relevancy&search_and_or=and

A few threads come up in this list...

Nothing definitive yet...

Best regards,

-a-

6 hours ago, DualRatedFlyer said:

I'm the FNG, but if there's not a mooneyspace existing expert - I can take a swing at it. I have 5 production printers here, my CAD skills aren't professional grade but this looks like something I could model pretty easy 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Hephaestus said:

I'm the FNG, but if there's not a mooneyspace existing expert - I can take a swing at it. I have 5 production printers here, my CAD skills aren't professional grade but this looks like something I could model pretty easy 

I have no CAD skills, but work with a bunch of folks that do if help was needed.  Would be nice to get the $45 dollar-ish version from plane plastics, but I have no idea how they would copy my beat to heck / broken plastics.

Well if you guys can get me some good pictures and dimensions I'll give it a shot. Hard to say on pricing until it's designed and one can look at print time and material weight, but I'd speculate under a hundred $, I'd probably just post it up on thingiverse so people could source their own local printer and try to cut out the shipping costs.

53 minutes ago, DualRatedFlyer said:

I have no CAD skills, but work with a bunch of folks that do if help was needed.  Would be nice to get the $45 dollar-ish version from plane plastics, but I have no idea how they would copy my beat to heck / broken plastics.

I dont think thats what they do, I believe they use a small "piece" of yours and it is now "repaired" They have the tooling already, just cant make one without your existing one legally. Same happens when you send in your muffler to dawley. Dont expect a 10 or more year old price of around $45 if memory serves me to still be true, however.