Fuel Cap Rain Cover

Gary0747

9 minutes ago, Raptor05121 said:

FWIW, That 1 gallon is the lawyer's words. When we finished resealing my tanks, I did a plot graph and made my own fuel stick for every gallon we added. Each tank takes exactly 24.0 gallons to the exact brim, making sure to slosh the tank and no air pockets. One day I took my plane up to 10,000 feet over my airport and rank a tank dry (per the POH for you bible-thumpers), switched to the other full tank and landed and filled up. The empty tank took 23.7 gallons which left me with 0.3 unusable. Just my $0.02...

Mine was even better.  the POH says one wing holds 32 gallons.  When I ran my tank dry, then filled it, it held 33.0 gallons, so I have -1.0 gallons of unusable fuel :D I wonder what that means for the risk of picking up water

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, MyNameIsNobody said:

1400+ views.  Apparently All Mooney All the Time isn’t as interesting as rubber necking at the train wreck.

Some of us are trying to read the thread, but with your frequent interruptions with repetitive input, it is difficult.

Please go crawl back under the rock you lived under in high school, you are not contributing to the discussion but only interfering.

Whether you have power over any of us is debatable, but you are certainly trying to exercise some. JUST SHUT UP ALREADY!! You've beat the horse bloody, then dead, then to a pulp and are still trying to make it disappear completely into the mud . . . .

11 minutes ago, MyNameIsNobody said:

. . . as interesting as rubber necking at the train wreck.

if this thread has become a train wreck, the cause is certainly clear. Look in a mirror, that's what started it all.

USER BLOCKED . . .  again.

Edited by Hank
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Raptor05121 said:

Guys, please leave the kindergarten bickering at the door. You are fellow Mooney owners, not hard-headed Bonanza drivers. Come on, be a man and just agree to disagree.

So we can get back on track and then argue about fuel tank sizes.

Alex, you're probably one of the younger guys here, so your comment means even more considering that.

BTW, my fuel tank is bigger than yours.  :P

17 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

trolls.jpg.afc0290d92683632275ccf46d13652c0.jpg

Someone call? Who wants to be trolled?

my schedule is free this afternoon between 1400 and 1500 otherwise I’m booked.  

Anyways, I’ve never once sumped water out of any plane I’ve ever preflighted (knock on wood)

i did see my friend one time discover his plane had JetA in it though  not sure how that can even happen  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bill98 said:

Someone call? Who wants to be trolled?

my schedule is free this afternoon between 1400 and 1500 otherwise I’m booked.  

Anyways, I’ve never once sumped water out of any plane I’ve ever preflighted (knock on wood)

i did see my friend one time discover his plane had JetA in it though  not sure how that can even happen  

Jet A gets in when you don’t supervise the refuelling.  The first person I knew lost in Aviation was Jet A in a DC-3.  My hangar neighbor lost a Navajo this way.

Clarence

11 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

Jet A gets in when you don’t supervise the refuelling.  The first person I knew lost in Aviation was Jet A in a DC-3.  My hangar neighbor lost a Navajo this way.

Clarence

Shouldn't you be able to see the color difference? Supervising the fueling isn't always an option at international airports.

-Robert

35 minutes ago, RobertGary1 said:

Shouldn't you be able to see the color difference? Supervising the fueling isn't always an option at international airports.

-Robert

The problem is that a mixture of Jet A and 100LL still looks blue.  It would be easier if Jet A was blue and 100LL was clear. 

In one of Mike Busch's EAA webinar's, he recounted how his 310 got refueled with Jet A.  Apparently, the fuel truck which was required to have the Jet A nozzle did not.  He also had the opinion that the word "Turbo" on turbocharged aircraft might confuse some refuelers into thinking those aircraft required jet fuel.

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Shouldn’t exist...

But if it does... now we have answers...

+1 for compressed air ...

+1 for some minor solubility of water in fuel...wonder if that shows up later... when the fuel evaporates... :)

+1 for well adjusted caps and fresh seals...

-1 for water going away... there will be some in there for a while... below the drain... last corner of the tank...

The poh has/ may have a procedure for adding alcohol to adsorb the water and spread it out at the molecular level...

:)

-a-

Best thread ever.  Thanks for bringing it back in the light of day -a-.  Nearly six months dormant before your resuscitation.

Your summarizations while usually focusing on the most important means of eliminating water in Mooney fuel tanks were NOT up to your normal standards.

1. Replace Both (2) gaskets in each fuel cap on an annual basis UNLESS you purchase the superior “blue” gaskets.  Total of (four) for two tanks.  The main gasket is visible in the fuel tank cap.  The inner gasket (that prevents water in the cap recess from entering the tank) is NOT visible without disassembly of the fuel tank cap.

2. Make sure your fuel tank caps are not cocked when installed.  Cocked caps allow water to potentially leak into a fuel tank in a rain storm.

3. Sump your tanks before every flight EVEN IF YOU hanger your plane.

4. Smell your fuel sample as well as visually inspecting.  Be aware that the WHOLE sample COULD be water.

5. Be cautious when removing a fuel cap after a rain storm.  The thimble of water in the center recess can be inadvertently lost into the tank if removal is not deliberate.

First listing is compressed air?  STILL funny.  I submit that a can with compressed  pressure in an aircraft poses a greater (BUT VERY UNLIKELY) exposure to incident vs. the BENEFITS from said can of compressed air coming along for a ride.

I think I will now go back and read the pm’s swearing at me from a member.  Those are great memories...

Thanks again.

• Like 1

Wish I could post the video, but a buddy of mine put this one the Mooney Pilots FB page last week. 
video showed him scraping back ice and snow, then peeling off the plastic and easily opening up a dry, unobstructed fuel cap. 

351079B2-7C44-4BAE-BD4C-9042151C5DC7.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I finally caught up with all my MS reading... :)

Thank Hammbone for the revival...

@GLJA to post video... there is a secret code... 

• post video in YouTube...
  • Paste link here...
  • YT does all the heavy lifting that Steve Jobs refused to share...  (funny limitation from back in the day...)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, carusoam said:

I finally caught up with all my MS reading... :)

Thank Hammbone for the revival...

@GLJA to post video... there is a secret code... 

• post video in YouTube...
  • Paste link here...
  • YT does all the heavy lifting that Steve Jobs refused to share...  (funny limitation from back in the day...)

Best regards,

-a-

Need to get it off of Facebook. Aye, there’s the rub. 
Even my sister who works for Zuckeeberg can’t figure this dilemma out!

• Like 1

Wish I could post the video, but a buddy of mine put this one the Mooney Pilots FB page last week. 
video showed him scraping back ice and snow, then peeling off the plastic and easily opening up a dry, unobstructed fuel cap. 
351079B2-7C44-4BAE-BD4C-9042151C5DC7.thumb.jpeg.8214ab48b14575486e4e7c08e3ddc662.jpeg

Tried this today and I have to say first impression is very positive. I keep my plane hangared but when I travel in my home state of Florida, where it rains quite often in the summer, I often come back to my plane and the fuel cap is full of water. This sticks to the wing skin fairly well so I don’t think it will get blown by the wind. Easy and simple solution. Like to see how it holds up in a Florida afternoon thundershower.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Hector said:

Tried this today and I have to say first impression is very positive. I keep my plane hangared but when I travel in my home state of Florida, where it rains quite often in the summer, I often come back to my plane and the fuel cap is full of water. This sticks to the wing skin fairly well so I don’t think it will get blown by the wind. Easy and simple solution. Like to see how it holds up in a Florida afternoon thundershower.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For those of you with Facebook:

• Like 3

On 10/2/2018 at 11:17 PM, M20F-1968 said:

I bought a set of these to try.  $5.99 for the three.  

The large one holds some suction against the wing.  Have not tried them for real outside though.

As anyone else tried these.

John Breda

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00N2IJM8I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

image.png.812d2c68c9777e66b85a35f0f8195a56.png

Reportedly the Mooney Miser used to hold a cover over his fuel tanks by using this Dual Lock product (like velcro only stronger):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DVSMQKA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

John Breda