Fuel Cap Rain Cover

Gary0747

Such Bravado is scary.  How many loss of power on take off accidents have there been where no apparent cause can be identified?  Do you think water would ever be found days later after fuel and engine hoses have been scattered?

Edited by Gary0747
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Scott, I’ve sent you multiple private messages that you don’t respond to. Yet you continue to make public posts making a spectacle of yourself. Continuing to say hey look at me...... That says a lot about who and what you are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Gary0747 said:

Such Bravado is scary.  How many loss of power on take off accidents have there been where no apparent cause can be identified?  Do you think water would ever be found days later after fuel and engine hoses have been scattered?

Not many. They inspect the servo and collator and even the fuel distributor for evidence of water. They’re pretty good at the forensics 

-Robert 

48 minutes ago, MyNameIsNobody said:

Guess what I used to blow some leaves out of the garage today?  Bah ha ha ha...

Wow, you pull your Mooney nose-first into your garage? I'm jealous of your home runway!

I've always pushed my plane tail-first into a hangar . . . . 

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, Hank said:

Wow, you pull your Mooney nose-first into your garage? I'm jealous of your home runway!

I've always pushed my plane tail-first into a hangar . . . . 

I’ve heard, that If you really torque on the prop lever, you can get the blades to reverse, and then back your plane into the hangar. 

• Haha 1

Whether I keep my tanks full or nearly empty, leave the plane in my hangar or parked outside while on travel and it rains like hell, the results are always the same. In the last 7 years I’ve see a couple of drops of water maybe 5 or 6 times? NON-ISSUE for me. I replace the fuel cap o-rings every annual.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hector said:

Whether I keep my tanks full or nearly empty, leave the plane in my hangar or parked outside while on travel and it rains like hell, the results are always the same. In the last 7 years I’ve see a couple of drops of water maybe 5 or 6 times? NON-ISSUE for me. I replace the fuel cap o-rings every annual.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Huh. You've seen more water in your tanks in the last seven years than I've seen in mine in the last 11 years. And I was tied down outside for four days on the Carolina coast this summer, between hurricanes with daily T-storms . . . .

• Like 1

On 11/2/2018 at 4:22 PM, Gary0747 said:

How many days do those parts often  set in the hot sun before the NTSB inspector even shows up let alone begins to disassemble the engine?  Also there is often a fire in take off accidents. Not sure what signs of water look like in these cases?  

Typically less than 24 hours. They’re pretty good at those basic tests ASAP. They’re professionals at finding cause.

-Robert

• Like 1

Just to illustrate my point and explain my personal paranoia about water. Here is an accident report involving a 67 F. My younger brother was partners in this airplane for 8 years located in Boulder, Co before he got out and into a B36.    This Mooney was always tied down outside at Boulder Airport.   It was professionally well maintained.   Note the finding of water from several possible sources and that the engine was probably only making low power    But NTSB was not able to make conclusions.

https://www.ntsb.gov/_layouts/ntsb.aviation/brief.aspx?ev_id=20141027X30645&key=1

Edited by Gary0747

Just to illustrate my point: (You stated that I showed bravado). Gary Nowhere in here did I read ANYONE making light of water in tanks.  Didn’t make light of an individual either.  What I DID make light of repeatedly is carrying compressed air in your plane to blow out a thimble full of water from each cap recess.  There are a number of ways to remove this water.  Frankly if you want to do it too I could care less, but I do find it amusing.  The guy went full Bat$%^& crazy which is also hilarious to me.  Some people “get it”.  Some people like you apparently do not.
Make no mistake: I take water in the tanks VERY seriously, but I enjoy life and poke fun.  Some can handle it and some-NOT SO MUCH.
In summary:
Bravado...Funny.
Compressed Air...Funny
Water in tanks.  NOT FUNNY.
Paranoia also NOT FUNNY. (Especially if they really ARE out to get you)

Scott, again telling us how smart you are... like you said some people get it and well you don’t.

• Haha 1

@xcrmckenna , this guy you call "Scott" reminds me of the kid on the schoolyard that couldn't figure out why nobody liked him and kept being abrasive just to try to get noticed. Quit letting him get under your skin. I'm paranoid too about water in my tanks.

P. S. How much you want to bet he responds to this post with a haha?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@xcrmckenna , this guy you call "Scott" reminds me of the kid on the schoolyard that couldn't figure out why nobody liked him and kept being abrasive just to try to get noticed. Quit letting him get under your skin. I'm paranoid too about water in my tanks.
P. S. How much you want to bet he responds to this post with a haha?

You’re right, he is a total bully. He’s not getting under my skin even if he thinks he is. Bullies think they are right no matter what and want to shove it in your face how much better they are. Be it their bigger than you, maybe have better toys then you, or in this case he thinks he’s so much smarter then anyone.

Water in a fuel tank I don’t think is funny no matter how much it is. And someone doing anything they can to keep water out is a good thing. A public forum is not my place to shame someone looking for ideas to keep them as safe as can be.

Scott has shown he just needs the last word. He has also shown MS how he is the times he’s flown off the handle in threads either because of his political views or he just wants to make fun of people.

The Timmy thread was a classic showing his melt down. But as long as there is the internet and the ability to hide behind a screen name there will be people like him. Ive engaged him multiple times via private messenger but he would rather post here and waste peoples time.

• Haha 1

Too funny.  I was the kid on the school yard that got picked first in football/baseball/basketball/whiffleball/smear/dodgeball because I didn’t suck at sports.  Loved recess.  Had a bunch of friends.  Teased and was teased by my friends.  This thread was made personal and I will just continue to enjoy it for me.  I could care less who is entertained by it/hates it/is appalled by it/me.  “It” amuses me.  Always interested to see the reactions of others.  Never ceases to entertain.  I know exactly what I am and what I am doing.  Bring it on, or not.
Making fun of an action is NOT making fun of the individual.  How the individual responds....Priceless.

Wow, you are slow..... Yes making fun of someone’s action is making fun of them. That’s what you don’t get!!!!! But bullies need to justify their actions. No doubt you were popular in high school because you were athletic and somehow that made you feel like you could look down on people. There are lots of people good at sports it’s just to bad when some of them get a superiority complex because of it.

• Like 1

On 9/26/2018 at 2:32 PM, jaylw314 said:

You know, I had that happen taking off one of the caps, where the cap slipped in my hand and the tablespoon of water sitting in the cap went into the tank.  After swearing for a bit, I sumped the tank with no water, then sumped it 5 minutes, jiggled the wing spar a little, and sumped 30 minutes later with no water.  I took off on the other tank and switched to the suspect tank, and never felt or saw a hiccup.  I've never caught any water while sumping before or since then either.

Where the heck does the water go?

There is quite a bit of space between the absolute bottom corner of the tank and the sump. When i was stripping my tank a bunch of the liquid tank stripper would pool up down there and had to be sucked out since it wouldnt reach the drain. I'd hypothesize probably half a cups worth. Nowhere near the pickups, however. I have a picture around here somewhere....

• Like 2

No one can be bullied unless they allow themselves to be bullied.  Humour  is dead in this country because everybody is offended.  I laugh at myself often.  I was neither popular or unpopular in High School upon reflection.  I was an individual.  Herd mentality is amusing to me. I look down on no one.  I feel superior to no one.  I am comfortable in my own skin and regardless of your PM’s and &%^* here that you post attacking me I will not relent/yield to your sensibilities.  I am as civil as the situation demands.  I do “get it”.  I just refuse to be cowed by your aggressive attempts to label...and yes bully me.  I find your actions silly and reply in kind.
Can an adult really be bullied?  Really?  I think not.

You’re preaching your justifications for your actions. Now the pure thought that you don’t even think an adult can be bullied. I don’t have to label you, you’ve done that yourself.

22 minutes ago, Raptor05121 said:

There is quite a bit of space between the absolute bottom corner of the tank and the sump. When i was stripping my tank a bunch of the liquid tank stripper would pool up down there and had to be sucked out since it wouldnt reach the drain. I'd hypothesize probably half a cups worth. Nowhere near the pickups, however. I have a picture around here somewhere....

I'd have to check the maintenance manual but as I recall there is a full gallon of unusable fuel. So you'd have to exceed a gallon of un-suspended water for the pick up to pull it.

-Robert

Are you saying that I have strength and power over you?  That I can intimidate you by my actions?  Are you saying that you are weak and oppressed by me?
Too funny.

It’s sad that you keep justifying your actions.

• Haha 1

One guys sad is another’s humour.

Lol, now you’re back to saying people can be bullied. That’s funny in the span of thirty minutes you went from saying how you were the popular kid in school great at all the sports, to just your own person that doesn’t follow anyone. Then went from saying a person can’t be bullied to now saying yes they can be.

All justifications to your actions at that time in place. You really are a bully, just because someone doesn’t let a person bully them doesn’t mean that’s not what your intentions are. You do everything you can to be a bully, then tell us why it’s okay.

I think we need to start calling you “Last Comment Scott”

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Raptor05121 said:

I'd hypothesize probably half a cups worth.

53 minutes ago, RobertGary1 said:

as I recall there is a full gallon of unusable fuel. So you'd have to exceed a gallon of un-suspended water for the pick up to pull it.

1/2 cup= 4 oz, 1 gallon=128 oz

So there would have to be ~32 x the amount of water needed to reach the drain in your tank before it becomes a danger. Even if maneuvers reduce that number by half (?), that still leaves a comfortable safety margin if you religiously sump your tanks.

On 9/30/2018 at 6:30 PM, M20Doc said:

The Mooney airframe is not the only one with the same design of filler port and cap, Beech used it as well.  The Piper Comanche has the caps under a sealed door, the filler neck is raised above the tank adapter and the entire area has a drain.

Clarence

D684B19A-AE2C-45B6-8CBB-E8C697C65116.jpeg

This is what my 63 model has. Its what limits these 52 gallon tanks to 48 gallons but its nice- I've never had water in my tanks

• Like 1

Happy to have that moniker.  This collection of misrepresentation of previous comments I have made is exactly what I am looking for.  What it allows is for individuals that can think independently to actually make decisions based on facts not on what someone interprets.
So do I have power over you or not?  It is a yes or no question.  Should be fairly easy.  Yes or No?
That I find humour in your use of compressed air to blow out a thimble full of water from a tank cap recess is interpreted as bullying by you.
To be a “bully” one must have power over another.  Another must “feel” bullied.  One must feel that another has power over them to be bullied.
I will answer my own question: If “Yes” then you allow me to have power over you and I am a bully based on your release of power over you by me.
If you answer “No” you do not give me power over you and I am not a bully and you are not being bullied.
Just because I find your actions (using compressed air) funny doesn’t mean I am making fun of you.  You see it is all about perspective.  If you are “good in your action” and “comfortable in your own skin” this is compressed air being blown off your back.
If you are thin skinned and question what you do:  You are offended.  If you are weak: You are bullied.

See you are justifying your actions on my response. You’re saying you can say and do whatever you want as long as someone isn’t submitting to you. Sorry but you can still be a bully even if someone isn’t bullied by you. Actually I’ve been calling you out on your comments. I said from the get go my reaction to you vs Richards was your incessant need to make useless comments that don’t contribute to a thread just so you can feel superior to people. You said on your old account you were never going to be back on Ms again. Yet here you are. Because you are a bully.

Just because I don’t give two craps about you doesn’t mean you haven’t been trying to bully me. And the fact you are justifying all this because of one comment you made shows how self centered you are. Your inability to see how your actions reflect on other people and somehow that’s all okay with you proves how much of a bully you are.

I pointed out you have flip flopped on your understanding of who you are multiple times this morning. So if you can’t see how full of crap you are from just that there is nothing anyone could ever point out to you to get you to see it.

You will continue to justify your actions so you don’t have to change or realize what type of person you are. You’re okay with it and I really don’t care. But I’ll just continue to stand up to your bullying.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RobertGary1 said:

I'd have to check the maintenance manual but as I recall there is a full gallon of unusable fuel. So you'd have to exceed a gallon of un-suspended water for the pick up to pull it.

-Robert

FWIW, That 1 gallon is the lawyer's words. When we finished resealing my tanks, I did a plot graph and made my own fuel stick for every gallon we added. Each tank takes exactly 24.0 gallons to the exact brim, making sure to slosh the tank and no air pockets. One day I took my plane up to 10,000 feet over my airport and rank a tank dry (per the POH for you bible-thumpers), switched to the other full tank and landed and filled up. The empty tank took 23.7 gallons which left me with 0.3 unusable. Just my $0.02...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Raptor05121 said:

FWIW, That 1 gallon is the lawyer's words. When we finished resealing my tanks, I did a plot graph and made my own fuel stick for every gallon we added. Each tank takes exactly 24.0 gallons to the exact brim, making sure to slosh the tank and no air pockets. One day I took my plane up to 10,000 feet over my airport and rank a tank dry (per the POH for you bible-thumpers), switched to the other full tank and landed and filled up. The empty tank took 23.7 gallons which left me with 0.3 unusable. Just my $0.02...

Well hell, you blew my numbers up. :)   Your figures still leave an almost 10x safety margin though.

• Like 1