Fuel Cap Rain Cover

Gary0747

Change the four gaskets annually.  Adjust the caps to be properly tight.  Make sure caps are not cocked.  Sump your tanks.  This gadget is NOT necessary.  Compressed air.  Funny.  Just be a little careful when removing cap after outside.  MAAN-Much ado about nothing...

Well the compressed air can help solve multiple problems in multiple situation. Blowing the water out of the fuel cap is just one of them.

Scott I am sure you have plenty of gadgets in your life that are not needed yet help you out. These comments that you make going out of your way to tell people how smart you are and how mind numbing dumb we are is probably why you had to change your accounts. And how you thought no one would ever know.

I guess my question for you, is if you can’t contribute to the thread why even waste your time? I know I sure don’t look at you as being someone very intelligent just someone that likes to say hey look at me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, xcrmckenna said:

Well the compressed air can help solve multiple problems in multiple situation. Blowing the water out of the fuel cap is just one of them.

Scott I am sure you have plenty of gadgets in your life that are not needed yet help you out. These comments that you make going out of your way to tell people how smart you are and how mind numbing dumb we are is probably why you had to change your accounts. And how you thought no one would ever know.

I guess my question for you, is if you can’t contribute to the thread why even waste your time? I know I sure don’t look at you as being someone very intelligent just someone that likes to say hey look at me.

Your reply to me vs. your reply to Robert Gary says more about you than me.  Pretty funny.  Strange not Ha Ha.

Your reply to me vs. your reply to Robert Gary says more about you than me.  Pretty funny.  Strange not Ha Ha.

Maybe you should think about all the comments you have made over the years. I would guess he hasn’t had anyone block him. Robert lists his full name. Yet you, well don’t.

I think it’s pathetic that you feel the need to compare my comments and can sit there like my personality is the reason for them.

Xcrmckenna: Here is my question to your question.  Was not my first sentence in this thread a contribution?  I stated that you don’t need an exterior cap if you change your existing fitted fuel caps four O-Rings AND make sure the caps are not cocked when replaced.  You don’t obviously like this reply.  Man if you want to haul around compressed air to blow out the thimble of water in the cap recess....Knock yourself out brother.  I find it funny.  For that you attack me and pre-suppose a lot of B.S.?  Weak magic.

3 minutes ago, xcrmckenna said:

Maybe you should think about all the comments you have made over the years. I would guess he hasn’t had anyone block him. Robert lists his full name. Yet you, well don’t.

I think it’s pathetic that you feel the need to compare my comments and can sit there like my personality is the reason for them.

Doubling down.  Nice.  HI-Larious.

Gotta go and ponder my replies on thousands of threads including the “former me”...

I bought a set of these to try.  $5.99 for the three.  

The large one holds some suction against the wing.  Have not tried them for real outside though.

As anyone else tried these.

John Breda

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00N2IJM8I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

image.png.812d2c68c9777e66b85a35f0f8195a56.png

On 9/25/2018 at 10:09 PM, xcrmckenna said:

I keep a small can of compressed air in the tool bag to blow out all the resting water. That along with the Blue o rings I don’t worry about the water.

New day.  Yup still funny.

10 hours ago, M20F-1968 said:

I bought a set of these to try.  $5.99 for the three.  

The large one holds some suction against the wing.  Have not tried them for real outside though.

As anyone else tried these.

John Breda

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00N2IJM8I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

image.png.812d2c68c9777e66b85a35f0f8195a56.png

I have used some that are very similar. They worked well in Louisiana with the almost daily afternoon thunderstorms. I always applied 1 strip of tape as insurance to hold them in place although they probably wouldn't have moved without it.

I tried something similar too.  The wind grabbed it though and I never saw it again. 

I will say my root cause ended up being a crooked fuel cap. I was new enough to mooney that I didn't notice it at the time.  Kept getting water in my left tank every time it rained.  Was a real PITA trying to sump it all out every time I flew and I never felt 100% sure I got it all and that thought will make you pucker up!  It is pretty easy to do.  I showed my partner on the plane what happened when I realized what happened and he has done it again since then so it's really easy to do if you aren't paying attention.  Fueled at another airport and their line guys did it too.  So my 2 cents here is keep the o-rings fresh and make sure the cap goes on right, and learn what straight looks like vs crooked and it's a non-issue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bob865 said:

I tried something similar too.  The wind grabbed it though and I never saw it again. 

I will say my root cause ended up being a crooked fuel cap. I was new enough to mooney that I didn't notice it at the time.  Kept getting water in my left tank every time it rained.  Was a real PITA trying to sump it all out every time I flew and I never felt 100% sure I got it all and that thought will make you pucker up!  It is pretty easy to do.  I showed my partner on the plane what happened when I realized what happened and he has done it again since then so it's really easy to do if you aren't paying attention.  Fueled at another airport and their line guys did it too.  So my 2 cents here is keep the o-rings fresh and make sure the cap goes on right, and learn what straight looks like vs crooked and it's a non-issue.

Good stuff Bob.  Felt a little deja vu.  How pray tell do you handle that thimble full of water in the recess of the properly sealed properly serviced gasketed fuel cap?  Do you also carry a can of compressed air to spray that thimble full of water from each cap recess?

31 minutes ago, MyNameIsNobody said:

Good stuff Bob.  Felt a little deja vu.  How pray tell do you handle that thimble full of water in the recess of the properly sealed properly serviced gasketed fuel cap?  Do you also carry a can of compressed air to spray that thimble full of water from each cap recess?

You may flick the water out but its well under the amount of water the fuel is able to suspend. For the same reason Mooney doesn't prohibit fueling in the rain. You'll have more water in the tank from condensation internal to the tank than the amount of water in the cap recess.

-Robert

• Like 2

This thread was about ways to keep any and all water out of our fuel tanks.

Not to promote how a little bit of water is okay.

If you keep your fuel tanks full of fuel there would be no condensation able to form inside the tanks. If your tanks are not full there is the possibility of condensation. In that case you have a higher ratio of water to fuel. Meaning you don’t have the buffer of water suspension, and the lower the fuel the more condensation is able to form.

Then say you dump the water trapped in your fuel cap while it rained, you raise even more water to fuel ratio. Then say you’re fueling the plane up while it’s raining. It can all contribute to added water in your tanks.

But if you guys are okay with putting water in your fuel tanks how ever little it is go right ahead. That’s the joys of being PIC and mitigating the risks.

• Haha 1

Keeping tanks full may be an option for the short body Mooneys with their 50 gallon tank but I can't imagine tankering around 6 hours of fuel myself. It really kills performance, especially in the climb.

-Robert

Lol Water in your fuel tanks really KILLS your performance in a climb....

I have a roll of paper towels in the plane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

I've owned two Mooneys, an M20C and now an M20K. While I've always had a hangar, they often spend nights away from home outside on the ramp. I've never sumped water out of either airplane. I used to generally keep the tanks in the C full. But the tanks in my K are rarely full. I change the O rings in the fuel caps every 100 hours, keep them adjusted correctly and always seat and close them myself. That way I know they're straight, level, and I can evaluate the tension on the latch. 

Apologies if I've missed something... or the point of this thread. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, xcrmckenna said:

If you keep your fuel tanks full of fuel there would be no condensation able to form inside the tanks. If your tanks are not full there is the possibility of condensation. In that case you have a higher ratio of water to fuel. Meaning you don’t have the buffer of water suspension, and the lower the fuel the more condensation is able to form.

FYI, typically air has something on the order of 10 g/m3 of water (60% rel humidity at 20o C).  That's 1 g or a quarter teaspoon in about 25 gallons.  So if you had your tanks almost empty on a day like that, and then condensed all the water overnight in the cold, at most you'd have a tiny amount of liquid water.  The tank vent should only let air in when fuel is consumed, but in theory should not let more air in when sitting.  So in theory, having a near empty tank by itself should cause very little condensation.

Where condensation CAN be a problem in real life is if you are replenishing the moisture in the air above the fuel.  The expansion/contraction overnight cycles MIGHT pull in some additional air, but I imagine worse is leaving the tank cap incorrectly sealed--this would allow the flow of air in the cap and out the vent or vice versa.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, xcrmckenna said:

Hey Chuckster, 

Speaking of not putting your whole name in your info.  Kind of the pot calling the kettle black, eh?  Rhetorical.

FYI, typically air has something on the order of 10 g/m3 of water (60% rel humidity at 20o C).  That's 1 g or a quarter teaspoon in about 25 gallons.  So if you had your tanks almost empty on a day like that, and then condensed all the water overnight in the cold, at most you'd have a tiny amount of liquid water.  The tank vent should only let air in when fuel is consumed, but in theory should not let more air in when sitting.  So in theory, having a near empty tank by itself should cause very little condensation.
Where condensation CAN be a problem in real life is if you are replenishing the moisture in the air above the fuel.  The expansion/contraction overnight cycles MIGHT pull in some additional air, but I imagine worse is leaving the tank cap incorrectly sealed--this would allow the flow of air in the cap and out the vent or vice versa.

Or if the fuel cap is removed occasionally. By Roberts practice his tanks are never full and I’m guessing he sticks his tanks to verify how much fuel he has on a regular basis. Him taking his caps off and not fueling the plane to the top allows moisture into the tank, and that is by your definition the most critical. correct?

My main point to Scott was if someone wants to go the extra mile to keep water out of their tank go for it. There was no point in his comments any further. I think his comment and many many comments over the years don’t add a bit of content to Mooney Space and he likes to hear himself talk and feel superior.

If people want to go the extra mile to making their flights safer to them I’m all for it. Whether it’s pulling their tie down rings or pointing their nose into the wind while getting their take off clearance not wanting to get any dose of carbon monoxide, or wanting to keep as much water out of their tanks as possible.

I’m not going to promote adding water to someone’s fuel tanks, and more importantly I’m not going bash someone for the things they do to keep them as safe as they can or feel they want to be.

Like I said I my first comment I replace my o rings and use the new Blue style and don’t worry about water getting into my tanks because of it. . If I use a can of compressed air to blow out my fuel caps before I check the fuel level why does Scott care or feel the need to laugh at it. The OP asked a question about a certain situation and I commented on it to help them out.

This is nothing new to him making comments, I’m just the newest one to say something.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Hey Chuckster, 
Speaking of not putting your whole name in your info.  Kind of the pot calling the kettle black, eh?  Rhetorical.

Lol, Scott. You’re dense, my name is in my tag.....

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, xcrmckenna said:

Or if the fuel cap is removed occasionally. By Roberts practice his tanks are never full and I’m guessing he sticks his tanks to verify how much fuel he has on a regular basis. Him taking his caps off and not fueling the plane to the top allows moisture into the tank, and that is by your definition the most critical. correct?

I don't know, opening the fuel cap to look in for a minute and then closing it is unlikely to allow a whole lot of air in.  The fuel tank is filled with fuel vapor (heavier than air), so unless there's a strong wind, or the cap is cracked open for a long time, it's unlikely there will be significant air allowed in the tank.

BTW, the "ignore user" function is beautiful :lol:

• Like 1