FlyQ

KLRDMD

6 hours ago, MilitaryAV8R said:

Reviving a bit of an old topic here.  With the acquisition of Foreflight by Boeing, I am sure we all saw that Seattle Avionics is offering FlyQ for $39.99 for the first year.  In my mind at that price I might as well try it for a year and who knows after that.  I was using the Performance plus package in Foreflight that has detailed aircraft performance for fuel planning and such.  I am looking in FlyQ and all I see is in the setup menu under aircraft a place to put climb, cruise, and descent speeds and fuel burn.  Is that all there is?  Is there no consideration for cruising level?  What do you guys that have FlyQ use for these numbers?  I have a 1968 F, anyone else in a similar plane care to share your numbers with me that you use?  Unfortunately I am still very new to my plane and do not even have a fuel flow gauge yet (being installed during annual).

Thanks

Yes- currently that is all you need to enter prior to actually planning a flight.

once you make a flight plan- you enter your desired cruise altitude- or just hit the “wind” option on the flight plan... when you press “wind” you’ll see every available altitude (in thousands of feet), and how much fuel it will take to fly your currently planned route.  It’s slick and simple.

For my 68F I use these numbers.  They are a bit conservative, however, I end up really close on time and fuel.  Yes, I do go faster than 142kts sometimes... depends on the density altitude.  I have 3 profiles built.  Same climb/descent for each.  FF on descent is same as cruise.  Altitude is DA.  The two fast profiles are ROP.  You need an engine monitor to properly lean and get cruise set up anywhere close or you’ll just be guessing.

*add 1-2 gallons for stto

**numbers work for max gross. Conservative if lighter

BF2465B4-92A0-4814-B67C-F3481DA4A626.jpeg

AE16471C-C5FE-4EF0-AE84-AEEBA2CB8F2C.jpeg

Edited by Ragsf15e

On 9/29/2018 at 4:32 PM, gsxrpilot said:

I'll throw one more maybe minor benefit in FF's favor for me. They're based in Austin and I'm friends with and fly with several of the guys who work there. There are a few features/improvements that I pointed out to my friends over beers after flying... that pretty quickly showed up in the product. It's a relationship worth supporting for me.

Paul, ask your buddies to donate a lifetime Foreflight sub to the Mooney Summit! 

Let them know FlyQ does.....just sayin....

• Like 1

Unsure FF has a lifetime subscription.  If so, it could pay off to buy that now instead of the potential increase in the future - but probably with limited features.

I think FlyQ does that now to be the value choice.

Competition is good.  I have to maintain a Garmin Pilot subscription for my in-panel (automatic) database syncing, even though I have yet to pay (yet) because of year subscriptions they give with new hardware added together, but it is half the price of FF for the same features and the Concierge is worth not having to deal with databases ever again.

I still use FF for my logbook and primary flight planning.

48 minutes ago, mike_elliott said:

Paul, ask your buddies to donate a lifetime Foreflight sub to the Mooney Summit! 

Let them know FlyQ does.....just sayin....

I'll certainly talk to them. Unfortunately my circle of ForeFlight friends doesn't include Tyson, the CEO. 

I know they don't have a lifetime subscription option. And it might be too late anyway. Now I probably have to talk to Dennis Muilenburg. Of course, I am in Seattle today, so maybe I'll pay him a visit.

• Like 1

Just now, gsxrpilot said:

I'll certainly talk to them. Unfortunately my circle of ForeFlight friends doesn't include Tyson, the CEO. 

I know they don't have a lifetime subscription option. And it might be too late anyway. Now I probably have to talk to Dennis Muilenburg. Of course, I am in Seattle today, so maybe I'll pay him a visit.

I saw your plane decowled last wed at 84R. I was going to have JD put in a Johnson bar in it to make you happy, but he was rather busy so I didnt mention it...

Thanks Paul, I think @Hank is handling the raffle / silent auction items so stay in touch with him. @Parker_Woodruff is donating a new Sierra lightspeed and we will have a herd more of great items soon!

Look for @Seth to announce registration opening soon!

10 minutes ago, mike_elliott said:

I saw your plane decowled last wed at 84R. I was going to have JD put in a Johnson bar in it to make you happy, but he was rather busy so I didnt mention it...

Hahahah... I'd love a J-bar 252!

Since I'm moving to Denver, I've asked him to wrap up a few items that we've been putting off. There's a SB for the fuel diverter on the Conti engines, and he's installing an AV20S as well as a Guardian panel mount CO detector. 

Oh and my hangar is full of household stuff as we clean out the house and wait for the truck to load and send to Denver. So there's no room in my hangar for the airplane.  

4 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

Hahahah... I'd love a J-bar 252!

Since I'm moving to Denver, I've asked him to wrap up a few items that we've been putting off. There's a SB for the fuel diverter on the Conti engines, and he's installing an AV20S as well as a Guardian panel mount CO detector. 

Oh and my hangar is full of household stuff as we clean out the house and wait for the truck to load and send to Denver. So there's no room in my hangar for the airplane.  

You're going to love your 252 even more now operating out of Denver, as well as all the nearby ski resorts!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ragsf15e said:

For my 68F I use these numbers.  They are a bit conservative, however, I end up really close on time and fuel.  Yes, I do go faster than 142kts sometimes... depends on the density altitude.  I have 3 profiles built.  Same climb/descent for each.  FF on descent is same as cruise.  Altitude is DA.  The two fast profiles are ROP.  You need an engine monitor to properly lean and get cruise set up anywhere close or you’ll just be guessing.

*add 1-2 gallons for stto

**numbers work for max gross. Conservative if lighter

BF2465B4-92A0-4814-B67C-F3481DA4A626.jpeg

AE16471C-C5FE-4EF0-AE84-AEEBA2CB8F2C.jpeg

Thank you very much Rags.  Those numbers are a great start until I get my plane back and can do some testing with my new equipment on board. 

8 hours ago, Bryan said:

Unsure FF has a lifetime subscription.  If so, it could pay off to buy that now instead of the potential increase in the future - but probably with limited features.

I think FlyQ does that now to be the value choice.

Competition is good.  I have to maintain a Garmin Pilot subscription for my in-panel (automatic) database syncing, even though I have yet to pay (yet) because of year subscriptions they give with new hardware added together, but it is half the price of FF for the same features and the Concierge is worth not having to deal with databases ever again.

I still use FF for my logbook and primary flight planning.

FlyQ only runs the lifetime subscription offer once per year after Thanksgiving.  Last year, Steve said they were getting close to the ceiling that they set for the number of those available, so who knows how the FF->Boeing marriage will change their thought process. 

Cheers,

Brian

• Like 1

10 hours ago, flight2000 said:

FlyQ only runs the lifetime subscription offer once per year after Thanksgiving.  Last year, Steve said they were getting close to the ceiling that they set for the number of those available...

...is that like the "Final store closing sale! Everything must go!" signs in the same store window every month? :D 

• Haha 1

I’ve been using FlyQ for a few years now. I’ve also used Foreflight and the  FltPlan.com EFB. I went back to FlyQ because of the great offers they were making last year. However,  I’m having a FlyQ issue. Synthetic vision has never worked as expected. It does not populate the downloaded terrain. I’ve always assumed that required some sort of augmented GPS signal and it was never that important to me. Recently, I flew a friend down to NC to deliver the prop from his Comanche 250 to H&H propeller. He was using iFly on his tablet while I ran FlyQ on my iPad. I was surprised by the detail and accuracy of iFly synthetic vision. FlyQ displayed nothing but towers and did not allow me to pan around. IFly looked like a sophisticated flight sim only it matched what I was seeing outside the cockpit. I assume there’s an issue with my installation or settings. I’ve tried to trouble shoot it. I uninstalled and reinstalled. I’ve redownloaed the map and terrain data. I’ve looked through the manual and YouTube videos. Haven’t found a solution. I emailed Seatle avionics (can’t call support) with pictures.  I got a closed ticket back suggesting that I download the terrain that I’ve already downloaded several times. Poor showing across the board. I’m glad I didn’t buy the lifetime membership.

Edited by Shadrach

On 3/12/2019 at 9:25 AM, Bryan said:

FF used to be a “buy the app” once for 59.99 and you get it for good.... well... at least until 2008, when all of a sudden they stated that it would be 100.00 a year, and that those that purchased the app previously, would get “6 months free.”  No grandfathering in, no capability to not “update” to the subscription version.  Just “oh yeah, remember how we said you had this app for life?  We changed our minds.” 

They were the first to go to the subscription model.  Garmin didn’t even have an app yet.  But smelling the blood (money?) in the air- they soon developed their own subscription based product- what we know now as garmin pilot.  Basically an iOS version of their handhelds and panel type interface.  Yuck.

I’m happy their is a company out there like Seattle Avionics.  GA and customer focused.  

Happy to have a lifetime subscription to FlyQ.  One of the best decisions I’ve made in regards to avionics/flying “stuff.”

Edited by M016576
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, M016576 said:

FF used to be a “buy the app” once for 59.99 and you get it for good.... well... at least until 2008, when all of a sudden they stated that it would be 100.00 a year, and that those that purchased the app previously, would get “6 months free.”  No grandfathering in, no capability to not “update” to the subscription version.  Just “oh yeah, remember how we said you had this app for life?  We changed our minds.” 

Pretty sure the iPad was introduced in 2010. I started using ForeFlight in January 2011 less than a year after the iPad appeared. 

The history I recall is a bit different. Yes, there was once a small aviation weather app for Windows PCs back in the day called ForeFlight. It was to assist with weather briefings on a desktop or laptop. 

And yes, at least one of the two creators of ForeFlight Mobile was the developer of that small program. And yes, they kept the ForeFlight name (adding "Mobile" to it). And yes, it's aviation related and includes weather information.  

And, yes, sometime in the second half of 2007, they put together an iPhone version. I never owned an iPhone, but I think it was limited to weather and airport information. It was subscription based. I don't think Sectionals appeared until the iPad.  It was far less robust than a number of free apps today, like AOPA Airports. Or, for that matter, the original free FlyQ phone app.

ForeFlight before mid 2007.

9EC8110A-121D-4D40-86C0-76596A2FA0FA.thumb.gif.44b9ccb727196add34d07b581e9acb2d.gif

Edited by midlifeflyer

8 hours ago, Shadrach said:

I’ve been using FlyQ for a few years now. I’ve also used Foreflight and the  FltPlan.com EFB. I went back to FlyQ because of the great offers they were making last year. However,  I’m having a FlyQ issue. Synthetic vision has never worked as expected. It does not populate the downloaded terrain. I’ve always assumed that required some sort of augmented GPS signal and it was never that important to me. Recently, I flew a friend down to NC to deliver the prop from his Comanche 250 to H&H propeller. He was using iFly on his tablet while I ran FlyQ on my iPad. I was surprised by the detail and accuracy of iFly synthetic vision. 

iFly GPS is a solid app with a relatively long history. It began as a competitor to the early Garmin x96 handhelds, at least as early as the 296. It was a little late, but eventually transitioned to tablets and has substantially identical apps for iOS, Android, Windows, and it's own hardware. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, midlifeflyer said:

Pretty sure the iPad was introduced in 2010. I started using ForeFlight in January 2011 less than a year after the iPad appeared. 

The history I recall is a bit different. Yes, there was once a small aviation weather app for Windows PCs back in the day called ForeFlight. It was to assist with weather briefings on a desktop or laptop. 

And yes, at least one of the two creators of ForeFlight Mobile was the developer of that small program. And yes, they kept the ForeFlight name (adding "Mobile" to it). And yes, it's aviation related and includes weather information.  

And, yes, sometime in the second half of 2007, they put together an iPhone version. I never owned an iPhone, but I think it was limited to weather and airport information. It was subscription based. I don't think Sectionals appeared until the iPad.  It was far less robust than a number of free apps today, like AOPA Airports. Or, for that matter, the original free FlyQ phone app.

ForeFlight before mid 2007.

9EC8110A-121D-4D40-86C0-76596A2FA0FA.thumb.gif.44b9ccb727196add34d07b581e9acb2d.gif

I don’t know anything about the computer version- never used it.

The original foreflight *app* was for iPhone-  I am 100% confident in this information, as I bought the *app* (that cost me ~$60... which was a TON for an app back then, as the AppStore was so new and no garauntees that the whole premise of the AppStore would last for any period of time) and was using it to help with flight planning for my day job.

The foreflight *app* was not limited to just airports and weather either at least not when I purchased it in the 2.0-ish versions- it included maps (sectionals, ifr high and low charts and plates), and it was definitely *not* subscription based: it was marketed as a 1 time purchase.... until all the folks that purchased the app (like myself) received an e-mail with the news that their app would no longer work at the next revision (that revision was version 3.0).  

I just looked back in the version history- and noticed that it was mid-late 2009 that this occurred, not 2008.

you are right about one thing- foreflight was not as good back then as most free apps are today.

after foreflight’s e-mail explaining their decision to move to a subscription model and the way they forced that subscription model on their users- I stopped using foreflight and refused to go back. 

the original free FlyQ app was actually the free AOPA app and was for the iPhone... until aopa stopped their contract with Seattle avionics... that’s when FlyQ EFB and FlyQ for the phone were born.  I used the aopa app (FlyQ phone app) for a couple years.. but it was just airports and weather, although you could view approach plates on it too (no maps though).

Edit - found this in my inbox from 2009... I guess I’m a bit of a hoarder when it comes to emails...

it does say they would continue to support v2.4... which lasted until iOS 5, when 2.4 was orphaned.

3439F20B-1B35-48B8-92E4-D846CE122445.png

Edited by M016576

The Wayback page for the iPhone app cerca 2007 indicates a $75 subscription charge. It could certainly be wrong,

But a point remains - the app is markedly different in many ways and requirements change. I have many programs which were "one-time purchases." But I'm not complaining my Office 95 doesn't run on my Windows 10 PC.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

What?   No one has mentioned Anywhere Map while we are on our trip down EFB memory lane?  At least to my knowledge they were the true EFB pioneers, and it was subscription based.  Windows though, not Android or iOS.  Lifetime subscriptions were even available, and although I haven’t tried to use mine lately I believe they are still honoring them.   Great stuff at the time, but their UI couldn’t compete with the modern apps and hardware, IMHO.  They were late to the game developing an Android/iOS app, and when they finally brought one to market it was too late and they never fully developed it.  That was really a frustrating experience for those of us who wanted to see them succeed.  

Jim

Ah yes, I remember them well. I didn't, but a friend of mine used it before he became an early ForeFlight adopter. Another friend used it on an old Windows tablet until maybe 5-6 years ago.

31 minutes ago, Cruiser said:

I tried to buy the rights to the code (FliteSoft)  but he had some agreement with Steve.

Steve did this with a few companies. Seattle was doing Voyager so it made sense to buy one of the popular, albeit dying, competitors. RMS (FliteSoft's company) had also begun the process of trying to make FliteSoft portable.

Steve also did it with the FlightGuide little brown books. They tried to move to the app world, but failed. Seattle bought their airport diagrams, which form the basis of the ones FlyQ has for most airports, not just the ones with FAA airport diagrams. Unlike FF, those diagrams, georeferenced, are part of the base FlyQ, the reason I prefer it over FF for VFR-only pilots.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, midlifeflyer said:

The Wayback page for the iPhone app cerca 2007 indicates a $75 subscription charge. It could certainly be wrong,

But a point remains - the app is markedly different in many ways and requirements change. I have many programs which were "one-time purchases." But I'm not complaining my Office 95 doesn't run on my Windows 10 PC.

<shrug> some people don’t mind SaaS and subscription charges.

I do.  It’s hard wired into my CB DNA.

if I want “new features”, then I want the option to pay for them individually- not be required to “subscribe”... and then not know what those “new features” will be.  

To me, that’s like being forced to rent a drill, with the promise that new bits will be coming soon... but you don’t know what those new bits will be, or if they will be useful to me.

No thanks- just sell me the drill I need for my application. One time cost. Done.

CB rant complete.

12 minutes ago, M016576 said:

To me, that’s like being forced to rent a drill, with the promise that new bits will be coming soon... but you don’t know what those new bits will be, or if they will be useful to me.

No thanks- just sell me the drill I need for my application. One time cost. Done.

While I don't disagree, Howard Hughes was wealthy because his Dad sorted out how to make money renting drill bits to oil field deployments.   Both parties benefited, so it was a successful business model.

It's been going on a long time.  ;)

On 9/26/2018 at 5:17 PM, flight2000 said:

Curious to hear what you find lacking about it?  Genuinely curious, not busting your flight bag... ;) 

I use it for IFR all the time and don't know what I may be missing.

Thanks!

Brian

It probably depends on your panel.  What do you have there?