GFC500 Update

81X

3 hours ago, alextstone said:

For those of you who have installed the GFC500 / G5 combo, now that the GI275 is available, would you have chosen it instead and why?  Also, has anyone installed the GI275 with a G500?  If so, what do you think?

Alex

Depends.  In our particular airplane, probably not.  Ours had the KI525 and KI256 so the panel holes were not the standard size.  The G5's covered the holes nicely.

If we had a panel with standard sized instrument holes, yes I probably would have gone with the GI275, especially if I didn't already have an engine monitor.  In that case I would have done so for the following reasons:

• Cleaner looking installation.
  • Easier to flush mount.
  • While I could legally remove the rest of the 6 pack, I would probably leave the airspeed, TC, and altimeter, but replace the VSI with an EI or Insight 3" engine monitor.  If the TC died I'd still be legal for IFR and would then replace it with an AV30C.

On 10/5/2020 at 4:15 AM, alextstone said:

For those of you who have installed the GFC500 / G5 combo, now that the GI275 is available, would you have chosen it instead and why?  Also, has anyone installed the GI275 with a G500?  If so, what do you think?

Alex

I have the GFC 500 in combination with the G500 TXi and G5.  For me the reasons I would not use the GI 275 are:

1.  I have no round gauges and a don't want any.

2. While the GI 275 is brighter display, I've never had a problem with seeing the G5 in bright sunlight.

3. Don't need the multifunction display capability of the GI 275.

4. G5 is half the cost of the GI 275.

5. 4 hour backup battery.

Conditions under which I might consider the GI 275:

1.  No large multifunction display like the G500 in the plane.

2. No separate engine monitor.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, donkaye said:

I have the GFC 500 in combination with the G500 TXi and G5.  For me the reasons I would not use the GI 275 are:

1.  I have no round gauges and a don't want any.

2. While the GI 275 is brighter display, I've never had a problem with seeing the G5 in bright sunlight.

3. Don't need the multifunction display capability of the GI 275.

4. G5 is half the cost of the GI 275.

Conditions under which I might consider the GI 275:

1.  No large multifunction display like the G500 in the plane.

2. No separate engine monitor.

It would also seem that there would be little need to spend the extra money on the 275 unless you’re using it to interface with your existing autopilot. If you’re going GFC500, the G5 could later be used if you decide to upgrade to a G3X display. 

• Like 1

Have the G3x/G5/GFC500...talked to my avionics guy...said he isn't doing many GI275s and most are still going with the G5...I won't have to make the decision, but if it were square instead of round and had been available, I would have probably popped for it...wtheck...

Thanks for all of the advice about G5 vs GI275.  I decided to go with the GI275 - personal preference.  FWIW, the quote I received to remove all of the KFC150 / Aspen EA100 equipment and install the GFC 500 + GI275 with four axis of control (read yaw dampening included) was about 24AMU.    

Alex

• Like 3

3 hours ago, alextstone said:

Thanks for all of the advice about G5 vs GI275.  I decided to go with the GI275 - personal preference.  FWIW, the quote I received to remove all of the KFC150 / Aspen EA100 equipment and install the GFC 500 + GI275 with four axis of control (read yaw dampening included) was about 24AMU.    

Alex

That's a great price.  Alex, I thought you were going to keep the KFC 150.  What changed your mind?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alextstone said:

Alex

Alex, congrats on the decision.  We look forward to hearing about your upgrades...the GFC500 is one of the favorite upgrades I've done.  I'm betting you will be thrilled as well.  Price seems pretty reasonable to me.  -K

• Like 1

1 hour ago, donkaye said:

That a great price.  Alex, I thought you were going to keep the KFC 150.  What changed your mind?

Well @donkaye, I planned to until:

1.  My lust for new technology became overwhelming.

2.  My wife began to take flying lessons and therefore joined me in said lust.

3.  The aircraft improvement savings miraculously totaled the amount needed for the new autopilot.

4.  I wanted to have something to talk about on MooneySpace.

I do have "big picture" panel plan similar to yours that I am working toward.  So this is just another step in that direction.  I hope this will be my "forever plane".

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, AerostarDriver said:

Anyone see the note about pre 65 models not being included in the initial supported list for the C,D,E models, however the M20, A and B models are in the works for GFC 500 approval.

there are several pages of discussion on that specific topic... it has grown over a couple of days...

A few reasons that make sense... but no specific details from Garmin of why they chose to do it that way...

Best regards,

-a-

22 hours ago, 201Mooniac said:

Those models are listed as beginning in the next 12 months. 

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/604257#additional

My bad. I assumed when you said they are "in the works" that you actually meant they were actively doing something about it and not just "planning" to do something about it. Because it has said the same thing almost a year ago.

12 minutes ago, 59Moonster said:

My bad. I assumed when you said they are "in the works" that you actually meant they were actively doing something about it and not just "planning" to do something about it. Because it has said the same thing almost a year ago.

I wasn't the one who said that but just posting the latest status.  I don't think there is any reasonable expectation of a date when it is listed in the future category.

• 1 month later...
8 minutes ago, MooneyBe said:

Has anyone on this thread installed the GFC500 with a G500 (not Txi--the original G500)? It's frustrating but it seems like even with the G500 you still need to install the G5 backups and associated GAD29 interface. 

Even the TXI doesnt run the attitude portion of the GFC500. You need a G5, Gi275, or a G3X. No exceptions.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, MooneyBe said:

Has anyone on this thread installed the GFC500 with a G500 (not Txi--the original G500)? It's frustrating but it seems like even with the G500 you still need to install the G5 backups and associated GAD29 interface. 

That's actually a good thing.  Switch off the G500/G500Txi and you still have your autopilot without Heading (unless you installed an extra GMU 11 with the G5).  I've tested it and it works perfectly.

19 hours ago, donkaye said:

That's actually a good thing.  Switch off the G500/G500Txi and you still have your autopilot without Heading (unless you installed an extra GMU 11 with the G5).  I've tested it and it works perfectly.

Yes, and thanks to Don, now mine does as well.  Only issue is if the backup G5 fails, you lose your AP even though you still have your TXi.  Oh well, guess I need a second G5 :-)

Yes, and thanks to Don, now mine does as well.  Only issue is if the backup G5 fails, you lose your AP even though you still have your TXi.  Oh well, guess I need a second G5 :-)

I know you were joking, but given the cost of TXI vs G3X, you’re already spending 35+ AMUs, what’s another 2 AMUs? Plus if TXi goes south, you have backup of attitude, AP, and navigation ability.

Tom

7 minutes ago, ArtVandelay said:

I know you were joking, but given the cost of TXI vs G3X, you’re already spending 35+ AMUs, what’s another 2 AMUs? Plus if TXi goes south, you have backup of attitude, AP, and navigation ability.

Tom

Yes, I did think about that but it is panel space more than cost that stopped me.  If the TXi goes south, the single G5 already provides backup of attitude and navigation.  The second G5 would only get me a backup of the AP.  Now if the G5 or GI-275 could provide a backup to the AP while also providing EIS, that would be a winner for me.  I checked with Garmin and the GI-275 if used as EIS can not drive the GFC-500 so it can't provide the backup. 

On 11/11/2020 at 5:25 PM, MooneyBe said:

Roger that. I'm looking at ~22.5k quote all-in for the GFC500, G5, and GAD (install estimated at ~10k), which is tough to stomach given my KFC was doing great until the computer fried. 

@MooneyBe, Does that price include any removed instruments or components factored in trade?