GFC500 Update

81X

26 minutes ago, FlySafe said:

any insight on if they might roll the C approval in with the E?

They might...I actually didn't realize they planned to jump the G and F together.  It's my understanding that they don't have a G.

If the E rolls into certification in August, I would be looking for "in-progress" on the website sometime in November. 

Just now, kpaul said:

They might...I actually didn't realize they planned to jump the G and F together.  It's my understanding that they don't have a G.

If the E rolls into certification in August, I would be looking for "in-progress" on the website sometime in November. 

The G and the F are the same airframe. I figured they did the J and K because they probably had higher v speeds and weights. They did the R, M, and S all with a bravo. They did the J and K with a K model. Theyre doing the F and G with an F model since it has more power. I believe theyre going to select an E for the short bodies because of the higher horsepower. On beechtalk it said that an STC only allows plus 10 to 15% power. Might have been a higher percentage, but more power give more play room in the stc. So with a 180hp it might not be enough for that margin.

9 hours ago, Wes said:

Good deal....I'm the E Model going in next week. Everybody can get their happy pants on....short body cert is near.

Wes,

Yours is going to Garmin next week?

Are you based at MKC?

9 hours ago, Wes said:

Yep.....that's me.

Sweet, Max told me he had your E lined up when I was there in February.  Glad to hear they will get yours going before mine is complete.  It sounds like yours rolls in just as the install is complete on mine.

Right....I'm looking forward to the new system. Even though bigger and better things keep coming down the line, this has been on my list and is pretty much the last piece of the puzzle. I've been waiting like everyone else for certification, and turns out I'm it....like you too.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Just now, MIm20c said:

For Garmin to certify the setup, and another couple months to find a shop with open slots to fit you in...

Yes my timing is only for the certification. You can probably find a shop pretty quickly that can do it now, but expect at least a month of downtime for the install. Its a lot of work.

On 5/23/2020 at 5:36 PM, Niko182 said:

I think M20 straight, and the A, B, C, D, and E would be all together.

I would like to agree with you. But doesn't look like Garmin does since they are currently working on C, D, E, F, G. No love for M20, A, B :(

Edited by 59Moonster

5 hours ago, ArtVandelay said:

The ADSB push should be over, especially with state of economy, I would expect open slots readily available.

I'm getting some quotes for an avionics upgrade in my airplane, and one shop offered me a pretty big incentive to take a slot in August, because they had a few cancellations. Quite a change from a year ago. 

I would like to agree with you. But doesn't look like Garmin does since they are currently working on C, D, E, F, G. No love for M20, A, B 

How many of the A, B planes are still flying, and how many of those have modern Garmin GPS boxes which would make the a candidate?
The price of the autopilot would be greater than the price of the plane.
I’m surprised they included Ds and Gs.

58 minutes ago, Mark605 said:

I'm getting some quotes for an avionics upgrade in my airplane, and one shop offered me a pretty big incentive to take a slot in August, because they had a few cancellations. Quite a change from a year ago. 

I just asked a quote - and they said a) they are full until end of September, b) they gave me a quote, which seems like a go-away-quote-we're too busy.  37,500 for gfc500 installed plus 2 G5, incl trim servo but not incl yaw.  Is it me or is that roughly 20k higher than I have seen described on here (a folklore quote from Colorado).  

Who is offering reasonable prices in the Northeast?

E

5 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

I just asked a quote - and they said a) they are full until end of September, b) they gave me a quote, which seems like a go-away-quote-we're too busy.  37,500 for gfc500 installed plus 2 G5, incl trim servo but not incl yaw.  Is it me or is that roughly 20k higher than I have seen described on here (a folklore quote from Colorado).  

E

You are correct.  That is a go away quote.  Our shop charged us about $31,000 to remove the KFC200 ($1700) and install dual G5's with a 4 servo GFC500.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

E

Interesting. Not sure if you are willing to fly your airplane to FL, but that is where the shop I was talking to is located. For my Bonanza it was going to be around $20k for removing the KFC-200 and putting in the GFC-500. 

• Like 1

Just now, Mark605 said:

Interesting. Not sure if you are willing to fly your airplane to FL, but that is where the shop I was talking to is located. For my Bonanza it was going to be around $20k for removing the KFC-200 and putting in the GFC-500. 

I would fly to Florida for a price differential of 17k.  Heck, I would fly to Florida for free just for the heck of flying to Florida.  What shop are you talking about?

That said - I think this gets too complicated for such a far away place and all the pandemic stuff - we are still largely hunkered down in my family for safety of the health issues of one of us in particular.  So it might just wait a year - and I wonder if you are describing pandemic pricing.  Still...what shop are you talking about?  PS there is an airline (for now) that makes a direct run from OGS to Tampa for something like $74 one way and $38 the other way?!  That's cheap seats - $100 less than usual, but they are usually very cheap.

E

10 minutes ago, Bob - S50 said:

You are correct.  That is a go away quote.  Our shop charged us about $31,000 to remove the KFC200 ($1700) and install dual G5's with a 4 servo GFC500.

Yeah - no kidding - I would guess that this shop would quote well over $40k - maybe $42 for the 4 servo system.

Just now, aviatoreb said:

I would fly to Florida for a price differential of 17k.  Heck, I would fly to Florida for free just for the heck of flying to Florida.  What shop are you talking about?

That said - I think this gets too complicated for such a far away place and all the pandemic stuff - we are still largely hunkered down in my family for safety of the health issues of one of us in particular.  So it might just wait a year - and I wonder if you are describing pandemic pricing.  Still...what shop are you talking about?  PS there is an airline (for now) that makes a direct run from OGS to Tampa for something like $74 one way and $38 the other way?!  That's cheap seats - $100 less than usual, but they are usually very cheap.

E

I'll PM you

• Like 1

So then I was thinking ok, what if I install a single GI256 for now to replace the KI256 and just punt and do a GFC500 later.  So I asked a quote for that.  (Is that possible - can we run a single GI256 to drive the KFC200 while for the time being keeping the electric HSI King 525?)

They quoted me for two GI256 at 22k installed.  No options - like no SVT.  Just the basic.

How much should 1 GI256 cost at a competitive price, installed?

53 minutes ago, ArtVandelay said:

How many of the A, B planes are still flying, and how many of those have modern Garmin GPS boxes which would make the a candidate?

Looks like there are 66 M20A's and 97 M20B's for a total of 163 registered in the USA. No idea how many are setup for this. But I do know of 1 M20A. Mine :D

Edited by 59Moonster

3 hours ago, ArtVandelay said:

All but I believe 3 of the D's produced that are still flying were converted to retract and CS prop, essentially making them a C.