GFC500 Update

81X

I recently rented a C172 with a GFC-500 (and electric air conditioning to boot, key during these desert days) to get some practice approaches in and get familiarity with the system.

It's an amazing piece of kit, sure makes it hard to go back to my single-axis KAP-100. Was planning to wait until my analog AI or AP craps out, but after that experience I may move up the timetable to replace what's left with a G3x and GFC-500. I wish the G3x was available before the investment in a GTN-750, but can't really complain too much.

When talking with Garmin, they are trying to convince everyone to place the controller at the top of the center stack so that it more closely matches the big iron. Of  course the Beech 400 I has the A/P down on the center pedestal. 

My GFC install by Garmin will have the controller top center.

Just now, kpaul said:

When talking with Garmin, they are trying to convince everyone to place the controller at the top of the center stack so that it more closely matches the big iron. Of  course the Beech 400 I has the A/P down on the center pedestal. 

My GFC install by Garmin will have the controller top center.

Maybe so, but it's a lot easier to reach over and down a bit than constantly raising your hand to reach a Controller placed on top.

• Like 2

Just now, donkaye said:

Maybe so, but it's a lot easier to reach over and down a bit than constantly raising your hand to reach a Controller placed on top.

I agree, and that was my initial thought as well for a location.  But, since Garmin is footing the bill....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finally they at least show this on there website:

GFC 500 Certification Programs Currently In-progress:

Mooney M20

• Models: F, G

I know they claim they will be ready on the F & G this summer.  From what I understand it has been "in-progress" since the end of the year and they may have just updated the site.

5 hours ago, wcb said:

Finally they at least show this on there website:

GFC 500 Certification Programs Currently In-progress:

Mooney M20

• Models: F, G

I know they claim they will be ready on the F & G this summer.  From what I understand it has been "in-progress" since the end of the year and they may have just updated the site.

Nope the F went into the shop late February. 

11 minutes ago, Wes said:

kpaul...is that your F model that Garmin has right now?  If so, how much longer do they say it's gonna take to finish up?

Yep it's mine.  It is just about complete with the install.  The flight testing is to begin in the next week or two.  According to Garmin this morning, STC for the F by the end of July.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, wcb said:

From what I understand it has been "in-progress" since the end of the year and they may have just updated the site.

According to the Garmin rep, they update the website to "in-progress" once they are in a 3 month window of completing the certification and having the STC.

• Like 1

Yep it's mine.  It is just about complete with the install.  The flight testing is to begin in the next week or two.  According to Garmin this morning, STC for the F by the end of July.
How do I volunteer my e model for them to use?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Hi HJ Mac, try this link from the Garmin gfc500 support page to enter the lottery, good luck.
https://www.garmin.com/en-US/forms/autopilotcertification/
Thanks. Fingers crossed. Doubt they will choose me running an ifd 440 but it can't hurt to try. The G5s work with it anyhow.

Just now, NJMac said:

Thanks. Fingers crossed. Doubt they will choose me running an ifd 440 but it can't hurt to try. The G5s work with it anyhow.

I have nearly the same config in my C (ifd440, 1G5 as an AI). during one of the recent Garmin webinars on the gfc 500, i mentioned my ifd440 and intent to use it as the nav source for the gfc500 and rep replied the stc would not allow that connection.  however, later my Garmin instaler at a Mooney service center said it would not be a problem. So i suspect your comment about your plane not being their first choice might be correct. I don't have the G5HSI installed because i have a working Brittain AccuFlite which flies heading bug info from my vacuum DG and i hate to lose that functionality while waiting on the gfc500. My installer is not comfortable even passing heading bug info from a g5 setup as a DG to the Brittain.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NJMac said:

How do I volunteer my e model for them to use?

When I was there in February, they already had an E model slated.  It is due to roll into their hangar as soon as mine is finished.

But it never hurts to try to sign up on their web page in case something falls through with the current plane.

My plane had dual G5s and GTN 650.  Also, when I was contacted, I was willing to fly it to their facility in Olathe, KS for a preliminary inspection.  They had already turned down two other Fs for, at least in their eyes, maintenance concerns.   It did help because immediately following my preliminary inspection my plane went into annual.  It actually worked well with Garmin's schedule and it allowed my plane to return to them with a fresh annual and a fresh AD log.  Obviously, they don't want a plane with a bunch of inspections coming due while they have it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, NJMac said:
11 minutes ago, kpaul said:

When I was there in February, they already had an E model slated.  It is due to roll into their hangar as soon as mine is finished.

But it never hurts to try to sign up on their web page in case something falls through with the current plane.

My plane had dual G5s and GTN 650.  Also, when I was contacted, I was willing to fly it to their facility in Olathe, KS for a preliminary inspection.  They had already turned down two other Fs for, at least in their eyes, maintenance concerns.   It did help because immediately following my preliminary inspection my plane went into annual.  It actually worked well with Garmin's schedule and it allowed my plane to return to them with a fresh annual and a fresh AD log.  Obviously, they don't want a plane with a bunch of inspections coming due while they have it.

any insight on if they might roll the C approval in with the E?