GFC500 Update

81X

On 2/13/2020 at 12:02 PM, donkaye said:

Actually the G5 drives the autopilot, period.  Data from the G5 syncs with the G500/G500TXi.  Except for a smaller screen the G5 provides all the important PFD information provided on the G500TXi.  In fact, when on the ground, the G5 provides density altitude when moving less than 30 knots.  This is not provided on the G500TXi.

Semantic distinction.  If I feed a heading into the G500, and the heading syncs to the G5, and the G5 directs the autopilot to change heading to match the heading it has, which it received from the G500, then the G500 has driven the autopilot through the G5.

57 minutes ago, johncuyle said:

Semantic distinction.  If I feed a heading into the G500, and the heading syncs to the G5, and the G5 directs the autopilot to change heading to match the heading it has, which it received from the G500, then the G500 has driven the autopilot through the G5.

If the G5 fails, the autopilot fails--unless you have a second G5.  If the G500 fails, the GFC 500 will continue to operate.  See diagram below.  No G500.  Everything on the autopilot except baro (that can be gotten from the G5) is controlled by the GMC 507 autopilot mode controller.  The fact that some functions are sync'd with the controls of the G500 is a benefit, but not a requirement.

GFC 500 Basic Block Diagram.pdf

On 2/15/2020 at 12:26 PM, Emmet said:

.. or the G3X Touch ..

22 hours ago, johncuyle said:

I believe the G5 is integral to the GFC 500. You can build a system with two G5s replicating a standard attitude indicator and HSI, or you can use the G500 Txi or G3X Touch to supply the horizontal inputs (HDG/NAV) and display the command bars -- but you'll still need one G5  to command the autopilot pitch and roll inputs.

https://www.aviationpros.com/engines-components/aircraft-airframe-accessories/avionics/press-release/21113404/garmin-international-garmin-expands-approval-for-the-gfc-500-autopilot

Skip

• 4 weeks later...

Got the plane back from the avionics shop yesterday.  Here’s my brief pirep after one flight: 

1) wow. 
2) I’m impressed 

3) the thing is super precise and well balanced (neither under nor over aggressive). The “flies on rails” description is accurate.  ILS down to 200 in a crosswind is no problem.  It would probably fly to the centerline given the opportunity.  It is dialed in perfectly in terms of how aggressive you want an autopilot to be.  Crosswind and bumps on ILS - no problem.  It flies with the same inputs and forces that I would.  Much more aggressive than my century IIb in a good way.  Used to be bumps I’d fly.  Now the autopilot will fly the bumps. 

4) the YD servo is worthwhile  for two reasons.  First it acts as a rudder trim once engaged on climb out and descent.  Second it cuts tail wag (we don’t get much if any Dutch roll but we do wag our tails) In turbulence by about 80%. I did a couple of tests during descent and found that the YD took all the slop out of turbulence upsets  

4) Automation when appropriately managed decreases workload immensely.  My focus can be on planning and monitoring with an altitude hold (wow can’t believe I flew so long without one).  Everything else is just icing 

Other things I realized

1) I ended up  putting the GMC507 In the top center position.  I think this is the right location.  Almost all MCPs on big planes are up top (although they have annunciation/displays).   I tended to reference both the lights on the GMC and the Annunciations on the PFD

2) No more GPSs (duh).  Flies GPSS profiles using nav.  I still need to figure out the GPS to loc transition. Flying nav with approach armed, the plane wanted to do a proper intercept from a course reversal but I conceptually didn’t understand this and took it out of approach decided to fly a HDG to intercept.  Wanted to avoid “what’s it doing now”. I’ll need a few VFR sessions with it (and have an IPC scheduled to learn it’s flows better) before I venture off into IMC.    

3) unless you’re coming from a BK autopilot there won’t be enough space on your yoke for the required trim switch and AP disconnect button. I wasn’t about to spend $500 for an out of stock plastic piece of unobtanium, so I fabricated a one-off that works perfectly.  If I had a 3D printer this would have been a great application.   

4) where the century MCP used to be was a bad spot   I don’t know how many times my daughter kicked us out of HDG mode with a leg or I did it with my arm   Much better and  ow there’s a place to put a cup holder 

Things I don’t like about it:

1) the pitch trim is tied to the radio master. I understand the rationale but I consider pitch trim a primary flight control and think it should be on the master bus. 
2) The pitch trim servo motor is a bit weaker than the OEM.  I have a little friction at the top end that was never an issue with the previous OEM servo.   The GFC struggles with the friction on the ground. With flight loads the friction goes away.  I guess it’s not entirely a bad thing that it uncovered a weakness in the trim setup (will need to clean and lubricate the jack screw etc when it’s opened up next).  However remember some of the oscillation issues were attributed to friction in the yoke phenolic blocks - same theme, the servos aren’t the most robust but get the job done 

3) pitch trim is totally automatic.  I used to know where my trim was at all times because I was the one commanding it.  Now I need to add the pitch trim indication into my scan so I don’t get a surprise out of trim condition. The 1977 models have pitch trim indicator near the floor.  So that’s not ideal.  It would be nice if garmin had an up down indicator on the PFD- they do have a warning if it’s out of trim but I’m not sure - let’s say you set it up for slow flight climb at 1.1 Vso and it’s almost full ANU.  Will it annunciate that trim condition - probably not since it’s within the commanded reference.  Probably also need to remember the Warren vDB adage of grip the yoke firmly when disconnecting the autopilot in case of an out of trim condition.  

4) I now fly a highly automated aircraft.  I’m going to have to get used to that.  I feel like (exaggerating)  I went from a stearman to an airbus in one flight.  It will be important to keep up with hand flying skills and use the AP as a workload reducer appropriately, but avoid using as workload substitution.  Translation = have to work to not become an autopilot cripple. One thing I noticed was that I was no longer manually controlling potential and kinetic energy together using my hands.  I was asking the autopilot to do half of it.  I ended up intercepting the ILS glide path faster than normal during my first (VFR) approach with the thing and couldn’t drop gear until Vle past the intercept - need to be cognizant about making sure that I’m doing my part. 

5) somehow the airspeed units got reset to knots with the software update. Referencing knots on one gauge and mph (what POH shows) in another is annoying. Need to fix prior to next flight. 

So far the general SOP / flow I’m thinking about for an automated flight is 

1) TOGA on ground, hdg and alt bugs set. 

2) Fly my normal climb profile - flaps up 400 AGL, clean up plane, accelerate to 120 MPH
2) After takeoff ESP armed 500 AGL, AP / YD on 800 AGL 

3) Nav/HDG as appropriate, climb in IAS at 120 MPH (my usuals) 

4) descent using VS mode   
5) HDG / NAV (GPS) as appropriate to intercept   Vertical mode (APP or VS) as appropriate 

6) Once on vertical profile set altitude bug to MAP altitude 

7) AP /YD off by 200 ft 

31332C4D-E8C5-4830-BA6C-F306FA60C931.jpeg

C6E4461C-EA53-451D-9826-70229BC85B10.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

I have two G5s and the GFC 500 in my airplane. I've logged about 20 hours in VFR conditions getting familiar with the"buttonology". A useful resource I found is Max Trescott's "GPS and WAAS Instrument Flying Handbook".  As someone who has spent 20 years flying steam gauges and raw data I found this extremely useful in making  the transition to glass.  (No Conflict of Interest).

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, bradp said:

Got the plane back from the avionics shop yesterday.  Here’s my brief pirep after one flight: 

1) wow. 
2) I’m impressed 

3) the thing is super precise and well balanced (neither under nor over aggressive). The “flies on rails” description is accurate.  ILS down to 200 in a crosswind is no problem.  It would probably fly to the centerline given the opportunity.  It is dialed in perfectly in terms of how aggressive you want an autopilot to be.  Crosswind and bumps on ILS - no problem.  It flies with the same inputs and forces that I would.  Much more aggressive than my century IIb in a good way.  Used to be bumps I’d fly.  Now the autopilot will fly the bumps. 

4) the YD servo is worthwhile  for two reasons.  First it acts as a rudder trim once engaged on climb out and descent.  Second it cuts tail wag (we don’t get much if any Dutch roll but we do wag our tails) In turbulence by about 80%. I did a couple of tests during descent and found that the YD took all the slop out of turbulence upsets  

Concur.  While I have not have a good chance to confirm it yet, it feels like my cruise speed has increased by 2 or 3 knots because the YD is keeping the airplane in trim.

4) Automation when appropriately managed decreases workload immensely.  My focus can be on planning and monitoring with an altitude hold (wow can’t believe I flew so long without one).  Everything else is just icing 

Other things I realized

1) I ended up  putting the GMC507 In the top center position.  I think this is the right location.  Almost all MCPs on big planes are up top (although they have annunciation/displays).   I tended to reference both the lights on the GMC and the Annunciations on the PFD

2) No more GPSs (duh).  Flies GPSS profiles using nav.  I still need to figure out the GPS to loc transition. Flying nav with approach armed, the plane wanted to do a proper intercept from a course reversal but I conceptually didn’t understand this and took it out of approach decided to fly a HDG to intercept.  Wanted to avoid “what’s it doing now”. I’ll need a few VFR sessions with it (and have an IPC scheduled to learn it’s flows better) before I venture off into IMC.    

APR is just NAV with the ability to intercept a glidepath.  So if NAV will work, so will APR.

3) unless you’re coming from a BK autopilot there won’t be enough space on your yoke for the required trim switch and AP disconnect button. I wasn’t about to spend $500 for an out of stock plastic piece of unobtanium, so I fabricated a one-off that works perfectly.  If I had a 3D printer this would have been a great application.   

Yep.  The recommended trim switch didn't fit in our yoke so our installer just refurbished our KFC trim switch and used that instead.

4) where the century MCP used to be was a bad spot   I don’t know how many times my daughter kicked us out of HDG mode with a leg or I did it with my arm   Much better and  ow there’s a place to put a cup holder 

1) the pitch trim is tied to the radio master. I understand the rationale but I consider pitch trim a primary flight control and think it should be on the master bus. 

You still have manual trim.

2) The pitch trim servo motor is a bit weaker than the OEM.  I have a little friction at the top end that was never an issue with the previous OEM servo.   The GFC struggles with the friction on the ground. With flight loads the friction goes away.  I guess it’s not entirely a bad thing that it uncovered a weakness in the trim setup (will need to clean and lubricate the jack screw etc when it’s opened up next).  However remember some of the oscillation issues were attributed to friction in the yoke phenolic blocks - same theme, the servos aren’t the most robust but get the job done 

Something you might want to check that I discovered.  The first time I taxied out I noticed that the electric trim was very sluggish.  Turns out with my seat all the way forward the seatback adjustment knob was pressing against the plastic housing that covers the trim wheel chain.  That pushed the plastic into the chain which created friction.  I now adjust my seat forward and ensure I can get a finger between the adjustment knob and the plastic housing and feel both of them at the same time.  As a bonus, that also ensures I get my seat in the same spot every time.  The GFC trim actually runs just a little faster than our KFC trim.

3) pitch trim is totally automatic.  I used to know where my trim was at all times because I was the one commanding it.  Now I need to add the pitch trim indication into my scan so I don’t get a surprise out of trim condition. The 1977 models have pitch trim indicator near the floor.  So that’s not ideal.  It would be nice if garmin had an up down indicator on the PFD- they do have a warning if it’s out of trim but I’m not sure - let’s say you set it up for slow flight climb at 1.1 Vso and it’s almost full ANU.  Will it annunciate that trim condition - probably not since it’s within the commanded reference.  Probably also need to remember the Warren vDB adage of grip the yoke firmly when disconnecting the autopilot in case of an out of trim condition.  

A couple things here.  First, unless you hit a mechanical stop, the airplane should always be in trim.  If it isn't in trim you'll get a warning on the G5.  You might even get brief warnings when the trim can't keep up with what's needed like an idle power deceleration while extending full flaps at the same time.  Second, you won't be able to fly at 1.1 Vso unless you turn off the envelope protection.  If the AP is ON, and you are above 200' AGL, and the speed drops below 69 KIAS (well above 1.1 Vso), the AP will lower the nose to maintain 69 knots.  If the AP is OFF, and you are above 200' AGL, and the speed drops below 65 KIAS (still well above 1.1 Vso), the pitch servo will kick in and start pushing forward on the yoke in an attempt to lower the nose.  You can manually override that if you want.  Same thing with 45 degrees of bank; it doesn't like that.  Ask me how I know (2 out of 3).

4) I now fly a highly automated aircraft.  I’m going to have to get used to that.  I feel like (exaggerating)  I went from a stearman to an airbus in one flight.  It will be important to keep up with hand flying skills and use the AP as a workload reducer appropriately, but avoid using as workload substitution.  Translation = have to work to not become an autopilot cripple. One thing I noticed was that I was no longer manually controlling potential and kinetic energy together using my hands.  I was asking the autopilot to do half of it.  I ended up intercepting the ILS glide path faster than normal during my first (VFR) approach with the thing and couldn’t drop gear until Vle past the intercept - need to be cognizant about making sure that I’m doing my part. 

5) somehow the airspeed units got reset to knots with the software update. Referencing knots on one gauge and mph (what POH shows) in another is annoying. Need to fix prior to next flight. 

Looks like your AS indicator has both MPH and Knots.  We have always preferred knots because all distances in aviation are in NM.  You can translate MPH to knots by dividing by 1.15.  Up to you, but you'll get used to it if you try.

2) Fly my normal climb profile - flaps up 400 AGL, clean up plane, accelerate to 120 MPH

4) descent using VS mode   
5) HDG / NAV (GPS) as appropriate to intercept   Vertical mode (APP or VS) as appropriate 

7) AP /YD off by 200 ft 

Here's mine for an IFR departure:

1.  TOGA to get TO/TO (Wings level and Fixed Pitch)

2.  HDG or NAV depending on the departure.

3.  Heading bug and altitude bug set.

4.  Normal takeoff.

5.  After cleaning up the plane: IAS and adjusted to 100 KIAS until 1000'.

6.  Follow the FD.

7.  800+ AGL, AP on.

8.  1000' AGL adjust IAS bug to 110 KIAS.

See my comments above in red.  Have fun.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Greetings All,

My first post and I apologize if my question has already been answered on another forum or has an otherwise obvious answer. I have a C model and I’m patiently waiting for the GFC 500 AML-STC for installation. I already have 1 G5 AI installed and an IFD 440. From viewing some webinars (Gamin’s and Sporty’s), I got the impression only 1 G5 (AI) was required for the AP. However, on a Bonanza forum, I saw a posting saying “for coupled approaches and glide slope navigation you need the 2nd G5 as an HSI.”  I was wondering if anyone can clarify if this is true?

If this is true, I can install the 2nd G5 as an HIS when I do the GFC 500 but was hoping to spread out project costs. The revision redundancy provided by the 2nd G5 HSI would be nice. However, I’m reluctant to go ahead with the 2nd G5 HSI while waiting on the GFC 500 approval for the reason I have a working Brittain AP with heading bug track, nav track, altitude hold and as I understand the Brittain AP will not legally interface with the g5.

Thank you for your collective wisdom.

On 3/14/2020 at 5:37 AM, bradp said:

1) wow. 
2) I’m impressed 

Other things I realized

4) descent using VS mode   

7) AP /YD off by 200 ft 

lemme know if you need help on how to capture cockpit audio.  would be nice to know exactly what's going on and what you're testing/showing instead of just seeing your big hairy popeye forearm wandering around the panel.  I kid about the popeye arm, but audio would be nice in this particular case.  :)

Hilarious @eman1200   I’ve stuck a mic for iPhone ear buds in a headset before; that’s worked well.  This time I was using halos- so I’m at a loss for how to get the audio working.  I suppose I can find an adapter somewhere. 

Next time I fly I’ll try to capture the entire panel and stream the audio. 

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, eman1200 said:

lemme know if you need help on how to capture cockpit audio.  would be nice to know exactly what's going on and what you're testing/showing instead of just seeing your big hairy popeye forearm wandering around the panel.  I kid about the popeye arm, but audio would be nice in this particular case.

15 minutes ago, bradp said:

Next time I fly I’ll try to capture the entire panel and stream the audio.

I don't know if it's worth the $50, but I have one of these adapters and it works GREAT for capturing cockpit audio. 

https://www.amazon.com/Nflightcam-Smartphone-Aircraft-Audio-Cable/dp/B00HQMLFWC/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?ie=UTF8&aaxitk=XL2vEwMoo0FyGa1zcsmSEw&hsa_cr_id=2103751120401&ref_=sb_s_sparkle

50 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

I don't know if it's worth the $50, but I have one of these adapters and it works GREAT for capturing cockpit audio. 

https://www.amazon.com/Nflightcam-Smartphone-Aircraft-Audio-Cable/dp/B00HQMLFWC/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?ie=UTF8&aaxitk=XL2vEwMoo0FyGa1zcsmSEw&hsa_cr_id=2103751120401&ref_=sb_s_sparkle

I have one of those as well and I agree, it's great (I plug an audio recorder into this) when I use multi cam videos.  if I'm just doing a quickie, one cam shot like what bradp did, I'll use a cheap lapel mic that you can get for under a buck.  then just stuff it into your earpiece and boom, cockpit audio on the cheap.  

cheap audio solution

Thanks Tom, yes i have 2 CDI with glide slopes, 1 connected to the IFD440 and the other to a kx155 radio.  so sounds like i will not need the 2nd g5 as an hsi for coupled approach with the gfc500. i understand i will still need the gad 29b.

Thanks Tom, yes i have 2 CDI with glide slopes, 1 connected to the IFD440 and the other to a kx155 radio.  so sounds like i will not need the 2nd g5 as an hsi for coupled approach with the gfc500. i understand i will still need the gad 29b.

BTW If you’re looking to do GPS approaches, ie GPSS, you may need the 2nd G5 to handle the GPS steering, that I’m not sure about. It’s so rare to see a single G5 that is not paired with a 2nd one or G3X that’s driving a GFC 500.

If you’re using a GFC 500 it can only be driven by Garmin (or Avidyne) digital Nav/GPS boxes.  If you have a GFC 500 there’s no more need for a GPSS,  there may be need for a second G5 and GAD29B to interface with the navigator if you want to do couples approaches.   You need some way of getting the airinc from your navigator to the autopilot computer (G5).  I don’t have the STC manual to see if you can do it with single G5, GAD29b but my guess is no. 

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, bradp said:

As requested - here’s an intelligible run down of the GFC in a 77 J.  

hope it’s helpful.  

Very well presented Brad and thank you for sharing.

How did the autopilot handle the pitch changes during both stages of flap selection?

I particularly like the position of the MCP - ergonomic and easy to reach.

A nicely flown approach followed by a smooth landing in rough conditions.

Well done!

• Like 1

The location was half my choice half not - the 430 wouldn’t work in the lowest position against the throttle quadrant.  There would be interference with the knobs and it would just be weird.   Same problem with the GMC 507 going on the bottom.  The center tube is just at the top edge of the 430 so it couldn’t go any further up.   The GMC fit well above it; 1) it is further away from my hands meaning less chance of miss hitting something and 2) every big plane has the mcp up ahead and visible.  

To a answer Oz’s Question - I didn’t notice any porpoise with flap change.  However I land with TO flaps when it’s gusty - trim already set to takeofff and one less thing to do on a potential  go around. 

• Thanks 1