GFC500 Update

81X

31 minutes ago, bradp said:

For those that have gone ahead with the GFC- is there a callout as to where in the panel the GMC 507 MCP must be placed?  I understand practically you’d want it within easy reach, but I recall asking this question of Trek and him saying there wasn’t a location prescribed since all of the annunciation and control was / is / can be done with the G5.  Local avionics guy I discussed it with told me “nowadays it needs to be here” pointing up top in center stack.  That would require a lot of reorganization for me.  Just wondering.  Thanks 

Pretty sure it can be anywhere. On the bonanza's on beechtalk, they seem to be put in multiple different spots.

33 minutes ago, bradp said:

For those that have gone ahead with the GFC- is there a callout as to where in the panel the GMC 507 MCP must be placed?  I understand practically you’d want it within easy reach, but I recall asking this question of Trek and him saying there wasn’t a location prescribed since all of the annunciation and control was / is / can be done with the G5.  Local avionics guy I discussed it with told me “nowadays it needs to be here” pointing up top in center stack.  That would require a lot of reorganization for me.  Just wondering.  Thanks 

In a PA28, the location was prescribed by the STC and could not be changed.  It's inconvenient (near the pilot's left knee - particularly hard to see from the right seat).  But the avionics shop said there were no other options.  I suspect that other types have more flexibility in the installation manual.  But in any event, it is type specific.

1 hour ago, bradp said:

I don't know the answer to your question, but we plan to install ours to the left of the radio stack, to the right of the altimeter, below the landing gear switch.

4 hours ago, bradp said:

For the M20J at least, there is no restriction as to placement that I could find in the installation manual.  The drawing showed it in the avionics rack but the text described alternate mounting of the unit to the panel without calling out a limitation on position.

1 hour ago, 201Mooniac said:

For the M20J at least, there is no restriction as to placement that I could find in the installation manual.  The drawing showed it in the avionics rack but the text described alternate mounting of the unit to the panel without calling out a limitation on position.

You're going to use it a lot, so place it where you can reach it easily and often.  Mine is in the center stack where the KFC 150 autopilot KC 192 computer used to be.  Some people place theirs at  the top of the stack.  I prefer the bottom so I don't have to raise my hand all the time.  I just reach over to select any function I want at the time.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/22/2019 at 8:55 PM, bradp said:

Put it where it belongs- top center.  While the G5 has all the annunciations, it's so nice having it top center within easy reach and sight.  

image.png.f950c45cb03e08ca81e0bb1a02925e60.png

• Like 2

On 9/22/2019 at 6:43 PM, toto said:

In a PA28, the location was prescribed by the STC and could not be changed.  It's inconvenient (near the pilot's left knee - particularly hard to see from the right seat).  But the avionics shop said there were no other options.  I suspect that other types have more flexibility in the installation manual.  But in any event, it is type specific.

I know they show it next to the Pilots left knee in a PA28, but they don't say it has to be there.  A lot of PA28's had the autopilot there, and it fits well.  Also Pa28's have only 8.5" of vertical stack, so it is a challenge fitting everything in.

And most of the settings can be controlled on the G5, so I don't think that is a bad location.

Granted, I would like the 'level blue button' to be accessible from the copilots position.

Aerodon

2 minutes ago, Aerodon said:

I know they show it next to the Pilots left knee in a PA28, but they don't say it has to be there. 

Dunno.  The avionics shop said that they could not install it anywhere else, because the location was specified by the PA28 STC.

2 hours ago, 81X said:

Put it where it belongs- top center.  While the G5 has all the annunciations, it's so nice having it top center within easy reach and sight.  

image.png.f950c45cb03e08ca81e0bb1a02925e60.png

I have to disagree.  It's an effort to constantly reach up.  I'd rather reach directly to the side and slightly down where Mooney placed the KFC 150 in the models that had the KFC 150.  Been doing it that way for 27 years and still doing the same with the GFC 500.

• Like 2

On 10/20/2019 at 9:08 PM, donkaye said:

I have to disagree.  It's an effort to constantly reach up.  I'd rather reach directly to the side and slightly down where Mooney placed the KFC 150 in the models that had the KFC 150.  Been doing it that way for 27 years and still doing the same with the GFC 500.

I would have to disagree with you for a different reason.  Having the panel down and right is a bigger vertigo trap than just slightly to the right.  If the control panel is about level with the ADI and to the right, it will only take a slight head movement in the horizontal plane to look at the panel.  You could even do it with just eye movement but that would be a bit unnatural.  If the panel is mounted below the throttle like it was with our KFC200 the pilot must move their head in both the horizontal and vertical planes which induces movement in the third plane and can cause vertigo.  Not a terrible problem if the autopilot is flying, and something that can be overcome by believing the instruments, but it can be a bit disconcerting if you've never felt it before.

27 minutes ago, Bob - S50 said:

I would have to disagree with you for a different reason.  Having the panel down and right is a bigger vertigo trap than just slightly to the right.  If the control panel is about level with the ADI and to the right, it will only take a slight head movement in the horizontal plane to look at the panel.  You could even do it with just eye movement but that would be a bit unnatural.  If the panel is mounted below the throttle like it was with our KFC200 the pilot must move their head in both the horizontal and vertical planes which induces movement in the third plane and can cause vertigo.  Not a terrible problem if the autopilot is flying, and something that can be overcome by believing the instruments, but it can be a bit disconcerting if you've never felt it before.

Do what works for you.  I did, and wouldn't change a thing.

1 hour ago, donkaye said:

Do what works for you.  I did, and wouldn't change a thing.

As it should be.  Glad you are happy.  Just pointing out something to consider for those who have yet to install the GFC500.

Hey, I used to pull 6 G's and use up to 90 degrees of bank on instruments too.  That's not something that is generally recommended either but yet here I am.

• Like 1

As it should be.  Glad you are happy.  Just pointing out something to consider for those who have yet to install the GFC500.
Hey, I used to pull 6 G's and use up to 90 degrees of bank on instruments too.  That's not something that is generally recommended either but yet here I am.

I like it up top. That’s where my airliner has it... and my Mooney is my personal airliner....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

I decided to place the GMC507 at the bottom of the stack. I figured it would be easier to operate in turbulence. I flew in the bumps recently and found that it was easy to access by resting my right forearm on my right knee.
425F5E2B-1374-4979-BB7A-ACE3916B1ED5.thumb.jpeg.55891fb65336ada7bd0c3c8d3dae62a1.jpeg

• Like 1

On 10/31/2019 at 1:44 PM, k8n said:

I decided to place the GMC507 at the bottom of the stack. I figured it would be easier to operate in turbulence. I flew in the bumps recently and found that it was easy to access by resting my right forearm on my right knee.
425F5E2B-1374-4979-BB7A-ACE3916B1ED5.thumb.jpeg.55891fb65336ada7bd0c3c8d3dae62a1.jpeg

I also have a GTN and for me, the best control I feel that I have in turbulence is to anchor some fingers on the far side of the GTN (or the GFC500 panel) and pull hard-ish while typing with the free fingers.