GFC500 Update

81X

Quick update on the GFC500- it looks like they are going to start flight testing my K within the next week or so and hopefully wrap up by the beginning of December.  They did indeed put in the third axis, so YD will be an option on the medium (and likely long) body Mooneys.  This is going to be one legitimate autopilot, and is even a really nice upgrade over the capable KFC-150 I had with the FD, alt preselect and VS.   

Also, and maybe more importantly for vintage Mooney owners, the short body retrofits are still on the list to eventually be included for the GFC500, just not at this time.  So, there's hope for a really capable, digital, attitude-based AP in the older Mooneys!  

Edited by 81X
  • Like 13

14 hours ago, gsengle said:

That’s very exciting! I like the king autopilot, but I’m scared at the lack of support.... KFC150 in an Ovation here...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That was also my concern.  My KFC150 was on the border of needing new wiring and a harness which is no easy undertaking. That coupled with some of the most expensive gyro overhaul costs imaginable makes replacement a no brainer. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 81X said:

That was also my concern.  My KFC150 was on the border of needing new wiring and a harness which is no easy undertaking. That coupled with some of the most expensive gyro overhaul costs imaginable makes replacement a no brainer. 

The good news is with people pulling them out we should have a ready source of mostly working parts until upgrade time. My avionics shop said to just call them and they'd happily send me a removed from service gyro for cheap. 

• Like 1

My Bravo should be back from Garmin in early December also. I can confirm that long bodies get the Yaw dampener also. You loose rudder trim for takeoff until you engage the autopilot from my understanding. Last I heard from them was a few weeks ago and they wanted me to approve the new panel layout. They had ordered a new panel from Mooney and were getting ready to mill it. 

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, MIm20c said:

Anyone know if the GFC700 has a yaw dampener on new aircraft?  Very excited to see/feel the the 500 performance. 

It has rudder trim

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipMmF57MKZq1y0yhzobyJkaKTxV0M1_r_cpXEPGa_ZBQ3B2Xea4jBxCOuW15f1sNcQ?key=Q1FHLUR3U0JmQXZreFh5SEg4R0F0RjJrZjBvMXl3

I took a flight in the Vision jet a while back that had the 700. One of the coolest things was how smooth the plane was with the yaw dampeners engaged.  I was truly impressed with this autopilot. I’m sure the 500 is equally impressive especially when compared to my Century 2b. 

17 hours ago, khedrei said:

+1 on that.  I would bet it's worth the extra what... $1500?

The yaw servo is $1500 the install kit for bonanzas and 210s is $795 plus labor for the installation. 

Don't try to save money by not getting the auto trim. I have flown  2 C182s with a GFC500, one with trim and one with out. The trim made everything work much smother.

If your choice is Trim or YD do the trim. 

• Like 2

That's great news.  My KFC150 is now working well but after all the time and $$ put into keeping it going, it feels it could finally go up in a puff of smoke at any minute.

81X and JetLag, can you give us a pirep on the G5 setup (and any other new avionics) you are getting?

Edited by Diesel 10

On 9/28/2018 at 9:30 PM, Diesel 10 said:

That's great news.  My KFC150 is now working well but after all the time and $$ put into keeping it going, it feels it could finally go up in a puff of smoke at any minute.

81X and JetLag, can you give us a rirep on the G5 setup (and any other new avionics) you are getting?

My KAP 150 did go up in a puff of smoke two years ago when a 35 year old capacitor exploded.

• Like 1

On 9/28/2018 at 9:30 PM, Diesel 10 said:

81X and JetLag, can you give us a rirep on the G5 setup (and any other new avionics) you are getting?

As soon as I get it back, I plan to put it through its paces to see how it all works and will certainly write a good PIREP here.  I'm really interested to see how it handles VNAV with the 750, that could be the bees knees, even more than the VS & alt preselect on the KFC150.  I'm counting the days until it comes back and I've had to cheat on the Mooney with a Super Viking lately.  Not something I'm proud of, but that is an awesome airplane to fly, albeit totally different than the Mooney. 

Also, I had a G5 for about 5 months before being used as the HSI.  The thing was amazing as an HSI and the few times I played with it in "PFD" mode showing the AH.  The second G5 now as primary attitude will be really cool to see, and if the AP handles the airplane better than the king attitude-based AP (likely yes). 

Edited by 81X
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Last I heard from Trek, they were hoping to have the Mooney certified near the end of this year.  I'm hoping he is right.  We have scheduled our plane to have the KFC200 removed and dual G5's installed in mid to late February when the flying weather sucks around here.  If the GFC500 is approved for our plane by then we'll have them install that too.

On ‎10‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 7:39 PM, Bob - S50 said:

It looks like Garmin still intends to include the F, it will just take a bit longer.

I am feeling like @nosky2high and not planning on waiting yet another year on Garmin.  The J is the same basic body as the G and F.  There is no engineering reason not to have it included with the J's.  I was willing to pay more for Garmin over Trutrak and Trio assuming they were coming out basically at the same time.  In fact was willing not only to pay more but also pay for some of the other luxury items like the trim kit and possibly the yaw damper (just to be ALL IN).  Was considering adding the Garmin 650 over the Avidyne 540.  Now it looks like for sure the Aidyne and (Trutrak or Trio).

• Like 2

It does look like Garmin is progressing through their certification list of airframes in a timely manner.  They just announced the bonanza is now certified to the GFC500:

https://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/Garmins-Budget-Autopilot-Approved-for-Bonanzas-231772-1.html

I am guessing we will see the M20 certified before the end of the year.