Eagle speeds

skyking1

Start with the power settings you use...

Then throw in FF for fairness...

a pic of the instrument panel, because somebody always claims you are going down hill...

The O generally cruises.

175 ROP or 165 (a few degrees)LOP...

10-12k’

2500 rpm

12.5 gph LOP

15gph ROP

With The 310hp STC the numbers increase a bit cruising @2550...

(from old fuzzy memories)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

Here is my fastest KTAS recorded just this weekend, 203 KTAS. I had an unusual uplift which I assume was from the tail of an oscillating mountain wave. You can see I’m pitched down in cruise on my AI. I have the Screaming Eagle conversation, I usually see 173 KTAS LOP above 7500’ at 2400 rpm and 13.1 gph. As I go up in altitude I increase rpm and decrease FF and stay at 173 KTAS. I have the draggy A/C ducts on the airframe which I hear slow you down about 5 kts.

D7121D19-C345-46BF-888A-165469643FFB.thumb.jpeg.076fa47a13c1ab821604b672eed5d865.jpeg

• Like 1

I've done mostly flights to/from my avionics shop and mechanic so far with my new Eagle while doing add ons and maintenance so mostly been flying below 4000.  Because I'm under class B and flights are short, I'm running 2200-2300 RPM, 20" MAP, FF varies between 12 - 13. At these settings down low seeing 176-177 KTAS.  Should manage well over 180 once I do some real cross country flying higher up.  My plane is exceptionally clean and I bought it specifically because of its low weight (about 2237).  I'm still also checking whether my throttle and fuel flow is correctly set since I seem to be losing 1 inch of MAP on full power takeoff. I will post more as I learn more.

Edited by Chris K
Using 2 RPM settings
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, kmyfm20s said:

Here is my fastest KTAS recorded just this weekend, 203 KTAS. I had an unusual uplift which I assume was from the tail of an oscillating mountain wave. You can see I’m pitched down in cruise on my AI. I have the Screaming Eagle conversation, I usually see 173 KTAS LOP above 7500’ at 2400 rpm and 13.1 gph. As I go up in altitude I increase rpm and decrease FF and stay at 173 KTAS. I have the draggy A/C ducts on the airframe which I hear slow you down about 5 kts.

D7121D19-C345-46BF-888A-165469643FFB.thumb.jpeg.076fa47a13c1ab821604b672eed5d865.jpeg

What do you typically see for IAS at 15k?

On 9/24/2018 at 10:48 AM, Chris K said:

I've done mostly flights to/from my avionics shop and mechanic so far with my new Eagle while doing add ons and maintenance so mostly been flying below 4000.  Because I'm under class B and flights are short, I'm running 2200-2300 RPM, 20" MAP, FF varies between 12 - 13. At these settings down low seeing 176-177 KTAS.  Should manage well over 180 once I do some real cross country flying higher up.  My plane is exceptionally clean and I bought it specifically because of its low weight (about 2237).  I'm still also checking whether my throttle and fuel flow is correctly set since I seem to be losing 1 inch of MAP on full power takeoff. I will post more as I learn more.

The MP reported above was indeed incorrect due to the inaccurate MP gauge.  My MP gauge has since been adjusted and I will post corrected numbers once well away from Bravo airspace...

Here are some shots from yesterday's flight.  Could not get above 5,500 on the short flight but these 3 settings were flowing between 13.9 and 14.8 GPH.  Was flying through some light chop, so the IAS on the Dynon was off a couple knots from my ASI (the TAS reading was not quite set correctly either - ignore the faulty #3 cylinder reading as well).  This was good for mid to high 170's KTAS down low depending on whether you look at the Dynon or the ASI.  Higher altitude should be 180+ KTAS which is better than POH book values.  This was with the 2 blade McCauley prop.  I'm finding that burning more than 14 GPH seems to only gain a knot or two per extra gallon of fuel burned and unless saving a minute of time counts, not worth burning that much fuel.

22x22 Eagle.jpg

22x23 Eagle.jpg

23x23 Mooney.jpg