mooney mechanic in phoenix arizona

rGi

Dave Munsey at DVT has been good with mine.   Brad Power, poweraviationllc.com, is also at DVT and is good.

Munsey Aircraft and Power Aviation here:

https://deervalleyairport.com/AirportAmenitiesAndCommunity/OtherAviationBusinesses

There are good mechanics at Falcon and Chandler as well, but I don't have personal experience with them.

On 9/23/2018 at 5:21 PM, KLRDMD said:

The guys at Tucson Aeroservice at KAVQ are good with Mooneys. Personally I wouldn't use the MSC in the PHX area.

+1  they helped me for free while I was there....prob 40 min worth of work, and offered to fill up my O2 bottle for free. 

On 9/23/2018 at 3:52 PM, EricJ said:

Dave Munsey at DVT has been good with mine.   Brad Power, poweraviationllc.com, is also at DVT and is good.

Munsey Aircraft and Power Aviation here:

https://deervalleyairport.com/AirportAmenitiesAndCommunity/OtherAviationBusinesses

There are good mechanics at Falcon and Chandler as well, but I don't have personal experience with them.

I called Brad to inquire about an annual next month, he said he's booked through February. Called Jim Sorter.  He said call him back in 2 weeks and he'll see what his schedule is like.  Haven't heard back from Munsey.  

I really want to do an owner assist on this one. I'm hoping I can make it happen.  It's not the money so much as it is I want to see everything about my plane so I know it better.

On 9/23/2018 at 8:24 PM, carusoam said:

rGi,

Anything specific you are looking for? Annual, oil change, STC, spark plugs...etc.?

Best regards,

-a-

oil change (although i want to learn how to change on my own) take a look at my aux fuel pump sometimes it switches itself from on to off during short final, schedule for annual and i have some avionics issues with my com2

thanks for the responses, i’ll give the guys at avq a call before i fly it out there

rGi,

The old CB switches age with time and become unable to carry the load...

The ones that get used most often are known to wear.  

They also lose their firm click.  So you may even feel it not working properly.

Since it is a safety of flight kind of item, and pretty easy to swap out, don’t wait too long.

On the other hand it could be the pump motor drawing too much electricity needing an OH... there are recommendations for that around here as well...

It will be helpful for you to include what model Mooney you have in your avatar area...

Best regards,

-a-

On 9/24/2018 at 11:39 PM, ragedracer1977 said:

Called Jim Sorter.  He said call him back in 2 weeks and he'll see what his schedule is like.  Haven't heard back from Munsey.  

I have a ‘66 C model and it needed an annual back in November, so I was recommended to contact Dave Munsey. After trying for a while, I finally got a hold of him and he told me there was a wait. All the guys at DVT at that time were really busy and said they couldn’t work me in. I waited around and finally Dave called me back. I met with him and we started the processes and I got the maintenance bay checked out and brought the plane over. He took the cowling off and he decided he didn’t want to work on it or he was too busy, so he put the cowling back on and told me he wasn’t able to finish the annual. He recommended I take it to the Chandler Aviation (I think that’s who it was) over at chandler. By this time I had to get a ferry permit as I had waited for an opening with Dave and so finding someone to do an inspection, the time to go get a ferry permit just added to the chaos. I ferry over to chandler and they assure me they’re going to be able to finish the annual, even though they were renovating their hangar and shop. Well, what do you know, they get part of the way done and didn’t finish. They seemed to be busy with their shop. I then get it ferried back to DVT to my T hangar and it sat. I was frustrated. Nobody seemed to want to do an annual as it was “too hot outside” or if I had an annual lined up, they all canceled last minute. Finally I was about to give up, when I ran across Jim Sorter. He’s an older guy, very nice and friendly, and he said he was busy but we could meet and look at the Mooney. I’m pretty busy flying Embraers out of PHX every day essentially, and so we worked on meeting and he actually met with me at the hangar. We looked it over, and he agreed to work on it. He not only met with me, agreed to work on it, but he’s actually completed the annual. He just finished this week. I never thought it would be so hard to find someone to do an annual. I moved to DVT from Dallas, Texas, and never had an issue like this. Long story short, my recommendation is for Jim Sorter. He’s owned and worked on Mooney’s for a long time. Anyways, I hope this helps. 

6 hours ago, Brandons72vette said:

I have a ‘66 C model and it needed an annual back in November, so I was recommended to contact Dave Munsey. After trying for a while, I finally got a hold of him and he told me there was a wait. All the guys at DVT at that time were really busy and said they couldn’t work me in. I waited around and finally Dave called me back. I met with him and we started the processes and I got the maintenance bay checked out and brought the plane over. He took the cowling off and he decided he didn’t want to work on it or he was too busy, so he put the cowling back on and told me he wasn’t able to finish the annual. He recommended I take it to the Chandler Aviation (I think that’s who it was) over at chandler. By this time I had to get a ferry permit as I had waited for an opening with Dave and so finding someone to do an inspection, the time to go get a ferry permit just added to the chaos. I ferry over to chandler and they assure me they’re going to be able to finish the annual, even though they were renovating their hangar and shop. Well, what do you know, they get part of the way done and didn’t finish. They seemed to be busy with their shop. I then get it ferried back to DVT to my T hangar and it sat. I was frustrated. Nobody seemed to want to do an annual as it was “too hot outside” or if I had an annual lined up, they all canceled last minute. Finally I was about to give up, when I ran across Jim Sorter. He’s an older guy, very nice and friendly, and he said he was busy but we could meet and look at the Mooney. I’m pretty busy flying Embraers out of PHX every day essentially, and so we worked on meeting and he actually met with me at the hangar. We looked it over, and he agreed to work on it. He not only met with me, agreed to work on it, but he’s actually completed the annual. He just finished this week. I never thought it would be so hard to find someone to do an annual. I moved to DVT from Dallas, Texas, and never had an issue like this. Long story short, my recommendation is for Jim Sorter. He’s owned and worked on Mooney’s for a long time. Anyways, I hope this helps. 

Glad you got it sorted out.   FWIW, Chandler Aviation is the MSC here in AZ.

8 hours ago, Brandons72vette said:

You know I know you, right, lol!  I’m meeting Jim tomorrow.  I’ll drop your name too haha. He’s gonna just look over the plane - interview it and I so to speak.  But it sounds like I’m in good shape.  Where’d you end up in the hangars? Wondered why I hadn’t seen your bird in the covered parking for a while.

btw, I think you might hold the record for the longest annual if it just got done!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Im kinda hijacking the post, but I’m seeing some AZ posters, so here goes: I’m planning on flying my 201 out to the Phoenix area this spring and am looking for hangar or shade for the month of March, plus a week or two either side. Falcon Field, Deer Valley and Scottsdale all have waiting lists. Glendale looks good, but it’ll be a 40 minute drive. Any other suggestions?

3 hours ago, PeytonM said:

Im kinda hijacking the post, but I’m seeing some AZ posters, so here goes: I’m planning on flying my 201 out to the Phoenix area this spring and am looking for hangar or shade for the month of March, plus a week or two either side. Falcon Field, Deer Valley and Scottsdale all have waiting lists. Glendale looks good, but it’ll be a 40 minute drive. Any other suggestions?

Phoenix/Goodyear, Chandler, or Mesa Gateway are the other options, although I wouldn't hold my breath on those, either.   Stellar Airpark has tie-down space, last I knew, anyway, but shade might be tough.   Up north Carefree Skyranch exists but I've not heard of anything available up there unless you're interested in purchasing.

I think tie-down space almost anywhere shouldn't be a big deal, at least it seems like there's plenty available at DVT, but shade or a hangar will likely require a waiting list.   If you find something that doesn't, feel fortunate. 

That said, March is pretty pleasant here and a tie-down spot wouldn't be bad.   It's not like we get hail storms or such here.

5 hours ago, PeytonM said:

What are you willing to pay? March is nice, I’ll put my plane outside and you can use my hangar.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PeytonM said:

Goodyear and Buckeye.  Try those two if you’re ok being on the west side.  I think Goodyear has a big enclosed through hangar that you may be able to rent space in- it’s not a “personal” t-hangar- but it’s enclosed.

26 minutes ago, M016576 said:

Goodyear and Buckeye.  Try those two if you’re ok being on the west side.  I think Goodyear has a big enclosed through hangar that you may be able to rent space in- it’s not a “personal” t-hangar- but it’s enclosed.

I have nothing but great things to say about the folks at Glendale Aero.  The goodyear fbo is not GA friendly.  Bad experience.