Any limit to future or DPE fees?

RobertGary1

Our dpe’s here charge $600 for basic rides (including add ons) and $1000 for initial cfi.  They can do two in a day and are booked 3 months out now. The faa lets them charge what they want but then they get together at their meetings and agree on a rate so they all charge the same. Seems like a perfect govt sanctioned oligopoly. 

Almost seems like it would be illegal price setting  

-Robert 

40 minutes ago, RLCarter said:

They might be allowed 2 a day but most don't do 3 a week, and at 3 a week they can scratch out a descent living with very little effort

Why would they not do 3 a week? If they’re booked up 3 months out I wouldn’t leave that money on the table. Are you saying the fsdo limits them?

-Robert 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RobertGary1 said:

Why would they not do 3 a week? If they’re booked up 3 months out I wouldn’t leave that money on the table. Are you saying the fsdo limits them?

-Robert 

No limit except for 2 a day that I know of, most of the DPEs I know have flexible day jobs which they work around

2 hours ago, Marauder said:

And he has a high failure rate as well...

This is a two edged sword.  If a DPE passes everyone, standards tend to drop.  I think the FAA keeps tabs on each DPS's pass/fail rate.  If they get too far out of limits, they get to have a discussion.

However, there should NEVER be a financial reward, or punishment for failure.

• Like 2