Completely Confused

c131fr

No matter how much extra speed or doors you have on the Acclaim you still have to pee on a bottle and have it emptied at the FBO, embarrassing and time consuming.
I would rather have a pilot relief tube than the extra door on the Ultra. And while you empty the bottle at the FBO I am already on my way out on the crew car.

Usually there is grass by the fuel pumps, so it literally takes seconds. No more embarrassing than having to explain what that tube is for on the bottom of your plane.
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, teejayevans said:

Usually there is grass by the fuel pumps, so it literally takes seconds. No more embarrassing than having to explain what that tube is for on the bottom of your plane.

Just imagine landing at an airport and the guy in his cirrus parked next to you walks up and asks you what that is. The look on the Cirrus owner and his wife's face will be priceless.

Included the Cirrus owners wife because no single guy buys a cirrus.

2 hours ago, Piloto said:

No matter how much extra speed or doors you have on the Acclaim you still have to pee on a bottle and have it emptied at the FBO, embarrassing and time consuming.

I would rather have a pilot relief tube than the extra door on the Ultra. And while you empty the bottle at the FBO I am already on my way out on the crew car.

José

I pee inside before my flight, and often afterwards. 3-4 hours isn't a problem unless I drink too much coffee first. 

3 hours ago, Piloto said:

Now I'm wondering how many people actually have the FBO service a pee bottle for them.

This is not something I'd ever even thought was a thing, nor would I personally consider it, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least if it is done.

Now I'm wondering how many people actually have the FBO service a pee bottle for them.
This is not something I'd ever even thought was a thing, nor would I personally consider it, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least if it is done.

Peed on board, many times. Had someone else toss it out, never.

And nowadays use this, so it’s no big deal.

TravelJohn Disposable Urinal for Men, Women & Children 3 ea (Pack of 3) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000QCN298/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_q1RQBb5J397YW

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

I'm at 1500 on my TSIO360MB and all original cylinders.  

I'm of the belief that it's how the engine is flown and also how often.

Similar here. I’m at 1250 on my TSIO360LB engine with the original cylinders still in the 70s. 

Paul is spot on here. The previous two owners and now me fly that engine really nice.  Engine management in turbos is critical to longevity. 

• Like 1

Don't bother, you still have to throw away the one shot bags. and where you are going to laid out the full bags in the plane.:unsure:
José

That’s the point, it has gel in it that solidifies, so you can lay it down. And toss it with your trash.

7 minutes ago, gsengle said:

That’s the point, it has gel in it that solidifies, so you can lay it down. And toss it with your trash.

Now you have solid waste laying down for the duration of the flight, is that like #2 on a bag?.:huh:

Edited by Piloto

On 9/23/2018 at 12:32 PM, c131fr said:

Lance Phillips was the guy I talked to, I think.  He was at Oshkosh where I talked with him.  I was talking about the fact that 242 knots was a lot of speed for only 280hp.  He mentioned that an earlier generation had as much as 310hp, but the new Acclaim Ultra was faster than the older models in most environments.  Actually he said the Acclaim Ultra was the fastest single engine production airplane ever produced, period.  I found a couple Acclaim Type S's on the internet that had 310hp for $200k less, which is why I brought it up.

To be honest, when I talked to him I was actually looking at a Cirrus-  but I just can't see myself buying one of those.  Not sure what it is.  Looks like a kit plane, I guess...   The Cessna looks sexier, but it IS a kit plane, so... (sorry Cessna, but it's a freaking Lancair to my eye)  Anyway, the Mooney option stuck in my head ever since, but I was confused about the 310hp.  If you buy a new Ovation Ultra, it comes with the 310hp standard now, btw. 

I thought the steps were retractable?  More research needed...

Your confusion lies in your misunderstanding that the “Type S” was a 310hp machine form the factory. It’s not and never was. The type S was an updated airframe that had a few tweaks over the original acclaim. That is all. The 310hp STC is available on any Acclaim. Acclaim’s and Ovations are the same airframe with different power plants. 

Edited by Shadrach

Now you have solid waste laying down for the duration of the flight, is that like #2 on a bag?.:huh:

#1 is way less toxic than #2. You throw it in your in flight trash which for me is a plastic bag. Probably less air contamination than splash on the surface of the relief tube

10 minutes ago, gsengle said:

#1 is way less toxic than #2. You throw it in your in flight trash which for me is a plastic bag. Probably less air contamination than splash on the surface of the relief tube emoji12.png

I always keep the relief tube clean and clear of icing with WD-40. No messy bags or bottles inside the cabin no matter how much I drink. B)

Would you stay in a hotel room with no toilet but disposable bags.:rolleyes:

José

7 hours ago, teejayevans said:

Most  FBOs use fuel trucks, and is a long way on the ramp to find grass to empty your bottle and a water faucet to clean it.

José

Edited by Piloto

I always keep the relief tube clean and clear of icing with WD-40. No messy bags or bottles inside the cabin no matter how much I drink. B)
Would you stay in a hotel room with no toilet but disposable bags.:rolleyes:
José

Better metaphor would you drive a car without a toilet?

Or would you drive a Mooney with any more drag than necessary? I bet I use one of those bags maybe once a year. Not a big deal...

4 minutes ago, gsengle said:

Better metaphor would you drive a car without a toilet?

Or would you drive a Mooney with any more drag than necessary? I bet I use one of those bags maybe once a year. Not a big deal...

I can always park on the side of the road and do it.;)

1 hour ago, Shadrach said:

Your confusion lies in you misunderstanding in thinking the “Type S” was a 310hp machine form the factory. It’s not and never was. The type S  was an updated airframe that had a few tweaks over the original acclaim. That is all. The 310hp STC is available on any Acclaim. Acclaim’s and Ovations are the same airframe with different power plants. 

The type S was 310HP from the factory.

10 hours ago, Niko182 said:

The type S was 310HP from the factory.

You're absolutely incorrect, but I always appreciate when one confidently corrects someone else's statements without so much as bothering to do a quick check of their premise.   I've done so for you below.  The OP has stated he's confused, perhaps it'd be a good idea to verify your info rather than confuse things further...  All easily available with a few key strokes.

https://www.planeandpilotmag.com/article/mooney-acclaim-type-s-still-the-fastest/#.W6uRq-GZ2po

"The current state of the aerodynamic art isn’t up to 280 mph on 280 hp."

"A former president of Mooney suggested that it was unlikely the airplane’s comparatively small tail could accept a 310 hp engine, like the one mounted on the Cessna 400 or Cirrus SR22-G3. (Obviously, any major aerodynamic change, such as a larger vertical stabilizer, would require a completely new—and very expensive—flight-test regimen for certification.)"

https://www.flyingmag.com/pilot-reports/pistons/mooney-acclaim-type-s

"On the Acclaim Type S, Mooney asks the Continental engine to deliver just 280 hp, this from an engine type that cranks out 310 horses in at least one other current airplane."

Finally the TCDS for the TN and V:

597634638_M20TNTCDS.jpg.aaf67adb1e175c65136e6fe9b9e2635c.jpg

33963600_M20VTCDS.jpg.dab960b4dd32053971c9a26b19e0972a.jpg

Edited by Shadrach

1 hour ago, MIm20c said:

I think the largest S mod speed gain was actually just the thin prop.  I’m really curious to see what the bravo could do with that prop.  However, I still find it amazing the top prop has almost doubled in price over the past decade. 

Hartzell has a Bravo they are doing the certification on with this prop as I type. Ill bet its close to 8 kts. at altitude

• Like 1