Interior Renovation

Frank Mooney

Thought I would share some of my before and during interior renovations on my M20k summer project! I Just purchased 922PT several months ago with the complete understanding the interior was SHOT (as you can see below). The plastics were rotten; brittle and crumbling so I purchased all New interior from Plane Plastics. I have spoken to several whom have installed the product on 172's and other Cessna models but no one from the Mooney world. All Cessna owners swear by it, I however never what the hear the words "trimmable" again and will reserve final judgment until I'm done!! I have had to climb in and out of my Mooney 2,000 times it feels like, as to work all the "Trimmable" pieces and I'm not exactly a pilot size person LOL! In my renovations I thought it would be nice to wrap all the plastics with Leather with exception of the headliner and baggage compartment. I researched a fella from Great Britain that seems to specialize in high end leathers with modern design and off they went. I have added a few pictures he sent back of the door panels done thus far and the headliner work I've completed to date. Also adding the best sound proofing and insulation everywhere!  ENJOY !!!

IMG_4728.JPG.37a418b969f8a64a9c6f0bb63dddf71a.JPGIMG_4725.JPG.af2693c57a8822e56f5e5a1036918214.JPGIMG_0852.jpg.4c62e25f5da9b59c274eb2dd343892fd.jpgIMG_0855.jpg.fb4bb3b4554e8f7f054152b0906d6769.jpgIMG_0771.JPG.a90c1a7f82b5b0a3fa0500523cfce61c.JPGIMG_0772.thumb.JPG.599dd67a36e1c550b68df075798fbbe0.JPGIMG_0770.thumb.JPG.a530bb2981340f18bd680f440740bbde.JPG

• Like 7

Strange thing, I have 35 year old J and there is not one item in the interior which has turned yellow over all those decades. The sidewall material is still bright white as well as the plastics. I've gone through the log books and haven't found any entries indicating that anything was done to the interior, except for seat coverings in 2001.

53 minutes ago, flyboy0681 said:

Strange thing, I have 35 year old J and there is not one item in the interior which has turned yellow over all those decades. The sidewall material is still bright white as well as the plastics. I've gone through the log books and haven't found any entries indicating that anything was done to the interior, except for seat coverings in 2001.

AFAIK, UV radiation is the biggest killer of plastics, both in terms of altering their color and damaging their strength.  Was yours hangared most of that time?

Mine was outdoors for 15 years in NM and west TX = yellowed plastic

1 minute ago, jaylw314 said:

AFAIK, UV radiation is the biggest killer of plastics, both in terms of altering their color and damaging their strength.  Was yours hangared most of that time?

Mine was outdoors for 15 years in NM and west TX = yellowed plastic

I can't speak for the earlier owners, but the last two did have it hangared.

Quote: I researched a fella from Great Britain that seems to specialize in high end leathers with modern design and off they went.

I think people want some word of mouth on that very nice work. 

Those hides are high quality form what I can tell from pictures. “Buttery” may be an accurate descriptor.  

48 minutes ago, bradp said:

Quote: I researched a fella from Great Britain that seems to specialize in high end leathers with modern design and off they went.

I think people want some word of mouth on that very nice work. 

Those hides are high quality form what I can tell from pictures. “Buttery” may be an accurate descriptor.  

Connolly leather which was used in Rolls Royce and Aston Martin got their hides from cattle in Scandinavia, where there are no barbed wire fences - nothing to nick the hide. And only bulls since the cows get stretch marks when they are pregnant.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks fantastic!  Reminiscent of the new Mooneys that have similar 'European" leather work.

Did they come with burn certs or did you have to get those here?

How did your weight and balance work out? How much weight did you gain if any? Did you have to weight each part before change and after or are you going to just do a new W&B on scales when done?

One item to check with your IA for annual is the extra height of the seat backs that it seems you have added. Technically, the seat might need to be DER'd so the extra height is factored into the "lever arm" of the seat height for crash worthiness. By adding a head rest you make the arm longer and the force to failure is compounded in a rearward direction. There is seat certification standards on that. 

It does look very nice