M20C Cabin air flow

BrettKS

Flying in these summer days is tough. Any tips on keeping cool in a M20C? I don't seem to have as much air flow via vents as I did in my Cherokee. Also, What vent does the "cabin air" pull knob control? And the two vents pictured in the attached photos above the rudder pedals.. are the vent covers meant to be operated by hand? Is that cold air or heated air?

IMG_20180921_151005.jpg

IMG_20180921_151010.jpg

The big round ones aimed at both seats are heat. Follow the fat orange tubing on the right, it should go to the heat shroud around the muffler. The eyeball vent is outside air, you can look through the NACA scoop on the cowl and see inside the plane.

In my C, the Cabin Vent knob opens a vent in the center below the throttle quadrant.

Check your roof scoop, make sure it opens. Then check in flight and make sure air is coming through the round overhead vents (2 in the front, 2 in the back); there are several threads here in fixing the scoop and vent lines.

Other than that, just fly high. Yesterday afternoon, despite heavy sweat on the ground, at 8500' I closed the roof scoop, closed the Cabin Vent most of the way and cracked Cabi Heat about a half inch.

That is similar to my E.  The vents between your legs are both, heat and cool.  If you are getting warm air, then your heat valve is leaking. The heat and cool knobs control the flow of air to the mixer box on the copilot side.  The big orange tube on the copilot side is cool air.  Warm air comes from the firewall side.   If flying alone, close the copilot vent.  I usually keep the copilot one closed off more so that some air gets to the pilot side.  If you need defog capability, close them both off to force air to the windshield.....oh.....and to the back seats.  In the winter, I usually mix the air a little, it seems to provide a more controlled flow of warm air....vs very hot air blowing at your legs.