Oil Change Tool

AH-1 Cobra Pilot

The last time I changed the oil in my Mooney, removing the filter drooled oil all over the back of the engine compartment.  My Jeep also has a horizontally-attached filter and can produce similar results. 

I just printed a tool to help avoid this problem.  It snaps around the filter, you punch a hole in the top side of the filter with a nail, etc., then rotate the filter 180o and let it drain before completely removing it.  My device fits tightly around the filter and has a flexible tube attached that can be directed into a bucket.  It worked really well on my Jeep oil change yesterday, so I thought others here might be interested.  My first attempt is somewhat crude and printed out of a type of plastic that may deform if the oil is really hot. 

If there are enough people here that want one, I will put more effort into it and print a few.  Depending on the chosen material, the price would be $25-$40.  Is anyone interested?

No fancy tools needed, just a long thin oiece of scrap sheet metal or a piece of drip edge from Home Depot.

Although 3D printed parts are cool, this has no extra work when using--just slide it under the filter, position a bucket and loosen away.  

Having the same issue...once...I found some angled pieces from some old project in my garage and learned from others. Put right under oil filter seam and loosened a bit. Didn’t take too long but not one drop was spilled. 

Vid from last weeks change. (Was sending to a friend who helped clean up a previous oil spill)

After flying I spray down the wings and such with water to get the bugs off.  Then run around the plane with a blue paper towel.  Then throw in trash.   When I change the oil I go to trash and grab a bunch of those blue towels under the filter.    Then insert a piece of alum under the filter and go for it.   The wind usually blows some oil around on the floor missing the bucket.   So just pull the rags from under the filter after the new one is installed clean the floor and then clean the alum and throw away.

Just changed my oil last night.

1. Let the oil drain while removing spark plugs, cleaning, reinstalling them
  2. Put rag under oil filter
  3. Remove safety wire from filter
  4. Loosen filter with wrench
  5. Put Aircraft Spruce bag around filter up against the case (I used to use gallon ziploc bags but this is big enough to get my hand inside)
  6. Spin filter off quickly and turn up so nothing leaks out

Easy-peasy, usually get away with a few drops on the rag.

I hung a cut-down funnel(or a small funnel to begin with) on the filter with safety wire with a tube running out the cowl flap on it into the same bucket as the quick drain, poked a hole in one side of the filter, turned it 90 degrees so the hole was down, poked a hole in the top and then went away for a while while the filter and engine drained.Then still wrapped it in rags when I removed it.

Edited by Steve W

3 hours ago, Skates97 said:

Just changed my oil last night.

1. Let the oil drain while removing spark plugs, cleaning, reinstalling them
  2. Put rag under oil filter
  3. Remove safety wire from filter
  4. Loosen filter with wrench
  5. Put Aircraft Spruce bag around filter up against the case (I used to use gallon ziploc bags but this is big enough to get my hand inside)
  6. Spin filter off quickly and turn up so nothing leaks out

Easy-peasy, usually get away with a few drops on the rag.

Lately I just use a plastic grocery bag for Step 5.   Worked fine the last couple of oil changes.

Step 7:   Profit!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Ah-1 Cobra Pilot said:

The last time I changed the oil in my Mooney, removing the filter drooled oil all over the back of the engine compartment.  My Jeep also has a horizontally-attached filter and can produce similar results. 

I just printed a tool to help avoid this problem.  It snaps around the filter, you punch a hole in the top side of the filter with a nail, etc., then rotate the filter 180o and let it drain before completely removing it.  My device fits tightly around the filter and has a flexible tube attached that can be directed into a bucket.  It worked really well on my Jeep oil change yesterday, so I thought others here might be interested.  My first attempt is somewhat crude and printed out of a type of plastic that may deform if the oil is really hot. 

If there are enough people here that want one, I will put more effort into it and print a few.  Depending on the chosen material, the price would be $25-$40.  Is anyone interested?

Can you add a picture?  I might be interested.  Have made various tools over the years with mixed results.  The V channel shown works well, but occasionally still causes slight mess.  Lately I’ve been using this with positive results, but not perfect:

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/oilfilterbibs.php?gclid=CjwKCAjw0JfdBRACEiwAiDTALl3WaRp6t9RpRKXOFLejQYjSznWxIqBCUlyQKeXwimt_ERkccjvh1BoC2X8QAvD_BwE

I'll post my not-a-drop-spilled solution again for those that haven't seen it yet. All Home Depot parts-

photo_2_1.jpg

photo_3_1.jpg

Insert under the oil filter and secure with a Vise Grip-

photo_2.jpg

Loosen the oil filter and the oil runs down the trough...

photo_1.jpg

photo_3.jpg

...and into the bucket.

photo_4.jpg

When you're done, the end of the pipe is capped for no mess.

photo_1_1.jpg

Since these pictures were taken, I have improved the system further by adding an elbow on the end of the pipe and a length of pipe that goes straight down into the bucket. I found that under windy conditions with the hangar doors open, my mess proof system wasn't so mess proof. Now it truly is. I did not glue the elbow to the gutter pipe, so it can be broken down for storage and has it's own cap to contain the mess.

I'm in the middle of an oil change right now as I post this. (I let the oil drain overnight) When I go back to the hangar to finish up, I could take pictures of version 2.0 if people are interested. I could also get dimensions if somebody wants to duplicate this.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, DaV8or said:

I'll post my not-a-drop-spilled solution again for those that haven't seen it yet. All Home Depot parts-

photo_2_1.jpg

photo_3_1.jpg

Insert under the oil filter and secure with a Vise Grip-

photo_2.jpg

Loosen the oil filter and the oil runs down the trough...

photo_1.jpg

photo_3.jpg

...and into the bucket.

photo_4.jpg

When you're done, the end of the pipe is capped for no mess.

photo_1_1.jpg

Since these pictures were taken, I have improved the system further by adding an elbow on the end of the pipe and a length of pipe that goes straight down into the bucket. I found that under windy conditions with the hangar doors open, my mess proof system wasn't so mess proof. Now it truly is. I did not glue the elbow to the gutter pipe, so it can be broken down for storage and has it's own cap to contain the mess.

I'm in the middle of an oil change right now as I post this. (I let the oil drain overnight) When I go back to the hangar to finish up, I could take pictures of version 2.0 if people are interested. I could also get dimensions if somebody wants to duplicate this.

I am using exactly the same setup. No mess except when windy. I will add the elbow!

Yves

2 hours ago, yvesg said:

I am using exactly the same setup. No mess except when windy. I will add the elbow!

Yves

Just curious, did you come to the exact same solution on your own, or did you see my post with this years ago? If we both came up with the same rig independently, that's kind of amazing! Do make the elbow and drop pipe. It really completes the deal. I'll post pictures later in this thread just for the heck of it.

5 hours ago, DaV8or said:

Just curious, did you come to the exact same solution on your own, or did you see my post with this years ago? If we both came up with the same rig independently, that's kind of amazing! Do make the elbow and drop pipe. It really completes the deal. I'll post pictures later in this thread just for the heck of it.

I do not have the metal bracket. The rest is the same. Sorry but I do not remember if I did this after seeing any post about this. Do you know the dates you posted it? I will check my logs.

Yves

4 hours ago, yvesg said:

I do not have the metal bracket. The rest is the same. Sorry but I do not remember if I did this after seeing any post about this. Do you know the dates you posted it? I will check my logs.

Yves

It's no big deal. I was just curious. My phone says I took the pictures on New Years eve 2011, so I'm guessing I posted it around then. I think I have reposted the pictures here since then at least once as well.

3 hours ago, Piloto said:

The reason for the oil mess is because the oil in the filter has not drained out completely into the engine. I always change the filter at least one week after the last shutdown. Just put a small rag below to collect the few drops. Clean and simple.

José 

While that may be a great technique, those of us running a shop would also need to own a hotel to put the customers in while their oil filter drains.

“I’ll invoice you an hours labor to change your oil but it will take a week to do the job” won’t work for most customers.

Clarence

Just did a oil filter change today and decided to put together all the knowledge gained from past mistakes! Happy to report that it was a clean job - just a few drops escaped.

1) Put one small rag under the filter first.

2) Get yourself a cardboard box and custom cut to make a v-shaped board that fits right under the filter and place it above the rag

3) Use the plastic bag that comes with the new filter and cover the old filter. 

4) Quickly remove the filter, swing it up and close the bag

5) Definitely helps if there's another person to make sure that the cardboard is catching and directing all the oil to the bucket.

Good luck

ps. It is definitely MUCH easier to remove the filter when it's cold.