Instrument practical today...

Lance Keve

3 hours ago, Lance Keve said:

That’s exactly what I did. Laughed, pointed to VCC, then one click switched off map page to DTK/TRK, and chucked again. It’s all fair game of what to use. His words too. 

First, congrats.   I just finished mine recently, too, so I can relate.   Definitely an accomplishment.

I had mostly practiced getting the AI covered up, and had discussed with my CFII that I'd tell the examiner that my G5 HSI could be easily switched to be a PFD, which is what I'd do if I actually lost the AI.   The expectation was that I'd still just fly with the HSI to simulate losing AI capability and leave it at that, so that's what I practiced.   During the actual practical exam the examiner covered the AI and made it clear that I could switch the G5 to PFD mode if I wanted after I described that I could do that, so I did.   I was on an LPV approach at the time, and since I hadn't practiced switching to the PFD, I found that I actually missed having the vertical heading display more than I needed the AI, so I switched it back to being an HSI and completed the approach.

I hadn't expected that the examiner wouldn't care what I used, and I also didn't expect that I'd actually prefer having the HSI instead of the AI, at least without practicing it during a precision approach where little heading deviations mattered.   It wasn't brilliant on my part to try something new during the exam, either, but it did work out fine and was an interesting learning experience.

So maybe it's a thing now that they let you adapt available equipment as you deem appropriate.

Edited by EricJ

25 minutes ago, EricJ said:

So maybe it's a thing now that they let you adapt available equipment as you deem appropriate.

So maybe it's a thing now that installed equipment can be adapted. If my AI fails, must adapt by using DG, Altimeter and TC instead . . . 

1 minute ago, Hank said:

So maybe it's a thing now that installed equipment can be adapted. If my AI fails, must adapt by using DG, Altimeter and TC instead . . . 

Yes, we're adapting to the adaptable equipment and the system appears to have adapted so that the examiners allow the adaptation.

Or something like that.  ;)

On 9/21/2018 at 11:11 PM, EricJ said:

First, congrats.   I just finished mine recently, too, so I can relate.   Definitely an accomplishment.  -- Thanks Eric

I hadn't expected that the examiner wouldn't care what I used, and I also didn't expect that I'd actually prefer having the HSI instead of the AI, at least without practicing it during a precision approach where little heading deviations mattered.   It wasn't brilliant on my part to try something new during the exam, either, but it did work out fine and was an interesting learning experience.

-- Right, he said as much on the ground before we got started.  Gave the example, as you have, of folks that switch PFD's with one push of a button.  All fair.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, carusoam said:

Way to go Lance!

Sorry, i’m sooo Late to the party.

Congrats on the achievement!

Got any long XCs in the plan?

Best regards,

-a-

Thanks Anthony.

Well, I have a sister in Florida and it's just starting to get colder up here...  I've done that flight a few times VFR and the weather has been cooperative.  Be good to route and fly it IFR, though.

Always wanted to try KNEW / New Orleans.  Been by motorcycle, car and airline.  Personal airline should be next.

Oh, and definitely Eastern Newfoundland, maybe via PEI.  Could have gone VFR but better with Instrument capabilities.

Almost forgot.  I've got my annual due in October so will be paying AGL in N.C. a visit at the end of Oct.  There's another one.

• Like 1