Plane & Pilot Magazine- aircraft of the year

0TreeLemur

Hi everyone- I  subscribe to Plane & Pilot.   They picked the Mooney Acclaim Ovation as the plane of the year.   200kts, 100 gal. long range tanks.  1000NM range. 2-doors.  Only in the high hundreds of thousand $$ range.

Another interesting headline you don't read every day....

https://www.planeandpilotmag.com/article/tesla-in-a-plane-crash/

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Yetti said:

mines' about 10 percent of the cost 1100 miles on 64 gallons.   Mooney F for the win

Dude, my C will go 1043 on 52 gallons, plus a 45-minute reserve, if I go high and slow.

It also costs less than your F.  :rolleyes:

Gross weight, however, limits range to a mere 970 miles. I generally use power & altitudes that limit my range to 800-plus miles, and get there much quicker. 

• Like 1

I really like the new Acclaim. However, I do not see any prospective buyers looking in the 350-600k range.  If I buy new and want to sell in 5 years the depreciation will be steep. In contrast the competition has no problem moving used aircraft at that price point. My observation is a new Mooney aircraft could have 2-3x the depreciation loss over the first 5 years.  Might as well buy an Acclaim and fly it at max power and put it away wet...

21 hours ago, Antares said:

I'll take my two Mooneys and have a go-fast and a slow spare and the extra half million in the bank. 

Just kidding. I don't have anything in the bank. 

You also don't have a go "SLOW".  You have a go fast and a go faster plane.

• Like 3

On ‎9‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 3:28 PM, Stephen said:

buy a Lancair Evolution. Just sayin'

from controller . com it looks like you need an extra 500k to get a nice Evolution and OHHH the fuel burn. 32 gph in cruise and 55 gph in climb.  The CB in me says my little 4 cyl works just fine, but the need for speed in me say more than 300 kts in cruise and you can start talking in terms of percent of Mach.  Mach .55??  Noice!!!

4 minutes ago, wcb said:

from controller . com it looks like you need an extra 500k to get a nice Evolution and OHHH the fuel burn. 32 gph in cruise and 55 gph in climb.  The CB in me says my little 4 cyl works just fine, but the need for speed in me say more than 300 kts in cruise and you can start talking in terms of percent of Mach.  Mach .55??  Noice!!!

Yeah, I saw those at 1=1.2 $M. One was in the 900K range but on second view it looks like it is a piston. Still if you are dropping .8 $M on an acclaim (love Mooneys) but to me you are in a viable used pressurized and/or turbine space on the assumption that you want this thing for business or reliable dispatch travel. 

7 hours ago, Stephen said:

Yeah, I saw those at 1=1.2 $M. One was in the 900K range but on second view it looks like it is a piston. Still if you are dropping .8 $M on an acclaim (love Mooneys) but to me you are in a viable used pressurized and/or turbine space on the assumption that you want this thing for business or reliable dispatch travel. 

Tell that to the 400 new SR22 owners. What do they say? 

9 hours ago, wcb said:

Jet A fuel is cheaper than 100ll and cruising at 300 burning 32GPH instead of 145 at 10GPH. thats 10GPH more but the difference in price of fuel makes that comparison closer. Also factor in that your climb is shorter, and you just go. no run up or anything. then again, 1st world problems.

• Like 1

My home airport Jet A is actually a bit more expensive and I see near us in Liberty Texas Jet A is a full dollar cheaper.  Just looking around the Houston area it is everything in-between but mostly around 40 to 50 cents cheaper.  But, the 155++ kt difference in cruise.....I will simple call it a TIME MACHINE.

On 9/27/2018 at 7:08 AM, Stephen said:

Yeah, but let's be realistic here... That's about the price of 2-3 2018 fully loaded range rovers or Jaguar's... And those depreciate a lot faster

When you're not quite at the point a learjet is affordable, you'll still be able to arrive in Vale in style for your weekend ski trip...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mooney in Oz said:

Purchase price of a pressurised or non pressurised turbine is the cheapest part. Then comes the operating costs..... :o

Yeah, I maintained a PA31T for a few years. It actually was kind of reliable compared to our C414's we flew. 

Plane&Pilot's raving review and endorsement of Ovation Ultra reminds me of movie reviews of films like Shawshank Redemption. 100% positive review but flopped big time at the box office. Cirrus delivered 350+ when Mooney delivered 7 in 2017.

Sadly, a shiny Plane of the Year trophy means very little to the investors and creditors of a company. 

I do feel very proud though... I just wish they can sell more. 

• Like 3