Plane & Pilot Magazine- aircraft of the year

0TreeLemur

Keep in mind when looking at jet-a prices, that almost no one pays the price listed on foreflight or advertised at the airport.   There are so many fuel programs that offer discounts.   I am usually paying well under the advertised price.   Sometimes almost half off.    

That at being said, it is still painful to watch the fuel flows.  Especially when ATC drops you low early and for the same or slower speed you are burning 10 more GPH.  

The acclaim is an amazing plane, the ultra looks to have improved on that.  Congrats to Mooney.  Now sell some planes and build a turbine (a new one, not the TBM).

Brad.   

What do you guys think the breakeven point is on this operation?  7 mooneys at 800,000 is $5.6 million, no idea what the gross margin is per airplane?  20% leaves $1.1 million for overhead, etc.  which I don't think is enough...….

Just random speculating as I don't want to do any more real work today.

• Like 1

On 9/30/2018 at 8:32 AM, BradB said:

Keep in mind when looking at jet-a prices, that almost no one pays the price listed on foreflight or advertised at the airport.   There are so many fuel programs that offer discounts.   I am usually paying well under the advertised price.   Sometimes almost half off.    

That at being said, it is still painful to watch the fuel flows.  Especially when ATC drops you low early and for the same or slower speed you are burning 10 more GPH.  

The acclaim is an amazing plane, the ultra looks to have improved on that.  Congrats to Mooney.  Now sell some planes and build a turbine (a new one, not the TBM).

Brad.   

How's life with the 46t?

Couple cirrus guys have the m500 and m600 and absolutely love those things. Damn physicians and their toys :D

i would think a fiki pressurized turbine is as close to a personal airliner as one could hope to come, within reason.

Edited by peevee

3 minutes ago, peevee said:

Good for him. That must make 3 sold this year so far.

Last year Mooney sold 7 airplanes. Period.

https://gama.aero/facts-and-statistics/quarterly-shipments-and-billings/

Yea, it is hard to sell planes when you are waiting for certification of the Ultra from the FAA before you can even build them. I realize you love Cirrus, but to come into this house and bash Mooney's might not be in your best interest or in good form, Peevee 

Lee, congratulations! Cirrus didnt sell 3 last week in the entire organization that i have heard.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, peevee said:

Good for him. That must make 3 sold this year so far.

Last year Mooney sold 7 airplanes. Period.

https://gama.aero/facts-and-statistics/quarterly-shipments-and-billings/

Not a bad number during factory restart with ongoing certifications. How many did Cirrus sell their first year? Better yet, how many [few?] of those are still flying? Seen any forty-year-old plastic planes???  :P

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, mike_elliott said:

Yea, it is hard to sell planes when you are waiting for certification of the Ultra from the FAA before you can even build them. I realize you love Cirrus, but to come into this house and bash Mooney's might not be in your best interest or in good form, Peevee 

Lee, congratulations! Cirrus didnt sell 3 last week in the entire organization that i have heard.

I didn't realize they had to call you and get your permission first.

I guarantee they sold at least 3. They're selling vision jets as fast as they can make them. Btw, cirrus won the Collier award for that plane. 

Edited by peevee

4 hours ago, mike_elliott said:

Totally untrue. Last week alone, Lee Drumheller sold 3

this was a question. not a statement. but I can understand that they only sold 7 in 2017 as the certification came out pretty late in 2017. hopefully they're doing pretty well this year and for the years to come.

• Like 2