Engine out. 2X in 14 months...

Tony Starke

35 minutes ago, steingar said:

Landing a little Aeronca a little hot on a really short field my buddy had me open the door to slow us down a bit.  Great field, fun airplane too.

But they opened the doors "to slow down" a gullwing Lancair! I bet those things grab an awful lot of air!

2 hours ago, yvesg said:

I recall duting flight training two decades ago my instructor showing me how to open the doors of a Cessna 150 to control yaw if the rudder cables would break.

Yves

I remember doing that!   I also remember flying an entire pattern, including takeoff and landing, without touching the yoke.   C150s are fun airplanes.

3 hours ago, EricJ said:

I remember doing that!   I also remember flying an entire pattern, including takeoff and landing, without touching the yoke.   C150s are fun airplanes.

We didn't fly a whole pattern that way, but we did navigate in cruise flight by sticking our hands out the window.  Great little airplane.

As far as the unfortunate fellow that started this thread, airplane engines don't fail like that.  There was something wrong with the way it was assembled or maintained, take your pick.

We didn't fly a whole pattern that way, but we did navigate in cruise flight by sticking our hands out the window.  Great little airplane.
As far as the unfortunate fellow that started this thread, airplane engines don't fail like that.  There was something wrong with the way it was assembled or maintained, take your pick.

Or flown! Statistically greater chance of fuel exhaustion or starvation - given so little is known yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

On 9/20/2018 at 11:15 PM, carusoam said:

See what @chrixxer is thinking...

There is no benefit to having your first engine out experience...

You are just as likely to have another one the following day, if not, plan that way anyway... :)

Best regards,

-a-

That is a statement of statistical independence.

However, there is a distinct possibility that these are not statistically independent events.  Such as, maybe something the pilot is doing is increasing the probability of an engine out, and so the first may change the probability of the second, either increase it - or even decrease it (eg learns to listen to the engine, not starve it for fuel, etc).  Or likewise something the mechanic is doing?

• Like 1