Importing a plane from Canada

jaylw314

8 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

Normally a fresh annual inspection and an Export Certificate of Airworthiness issued by Transport Canada should be acceptable to the FAA.  You should confir with your local FSDO to be sure.

Clarence

Thanks, I was also wondering what needs to happen on the US side as well.  The obvious thing is getting an N number and painting I on, but I'm sure there are others...

2 minutes ago, jaylw314 said:

Thanks, I was also wondering what needs to happen on the US side as well.  The obvious thing is getting an N number and painting I on, but I'm sure there are others...

Normally upon arrival the owner accepts the aircraft, the vendor cancels the Canadian C of R, Transport Canada confirms the cancellation with the FAA, the escrow company releases funds to the vendor, the purchaser applies for a new FAA C of R and the shop who is doing the import for you does what ever importation work is required for issuance of a new FAA C of A.  Removal of the Canadian marks and application of the new N number and any other FAA requirements etc.

In Canada Transport Canada has a process which must be followed, I’m sure the FAA has a similar document.

Clarence

56 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

Normally upon arrival the owner accepts the aircraft, the vendor cancels the Canadian C of R, Transport Canada confirms the cancellation with the FAA, the escrow company releases funds to the vendor, the purchaser applies for a new FAA C of R and the shop who is doing the import for you does what ever importation work is required for issuance of a new FAA C of A.  Removal of the Canadian marks and application of the new N number and any other FAA requirements etc.

In Canada Transport Canada has a process which must be followed, I’m sure the FAA has a similar document.

Clarence

Reading that just gave me a headache :huh:  Thanks, I'll have to decide if I'm motivated enough to go consider it....

In my experience it’s easier to import to Canada, than to export to the US.  Not because of regulation or process, but because of stupid finance requirements.  Many banks won’t finance an airplane unless it has an N number.  

I had a customer whose money was not released until it was N numbered, he lost complete control of the situation, luckily he did get paid months later.

Clarence

1 hour ago, milotron said:

Try living in Canada. We almost have no choice but to import from the US as 95% of the inventory is in the US!

Considering what we have to do to import to Canada, I would think that importing into US would be easier. Canada seems to have additional requirements.

I’ve heard we are a little more stringent when it comes to importing. Not certain of the US overhauls, but a “top overhaul” on an imported plane, isn’t considered an overhaul. Conversely, same goes for props. Transport Canada usually requires more work done on the aircraftbfornitnto comply with our regulations, prior to a Canada Registration number being given. 

1 hour ago, CDNflyby said:

I’ve heard we are a little more stringent when it comes to importing. Not certain of the US overhauls, but a “top overhaul” on an imported plane, isn’t considered an overhaul. Conversely, same goes for props. Transport Canada usually requires more work done on the aircraftbfornitnto comply with our regulations, prior to a Canada Registration number being given. 

Overhaul status of the engine doesn’t matter for private use in Canada.

Constant speed props must have been overhauled in the last 10 years, fixed pitch must have had a corrosion inspection in the last 5 years.

All AD’s must be in compliance.

No life limits can be expired.

Must meet TCDS 

All documents covering Mods, STC’s, 337’s, ICA’s, weight and balance must be accurate, missing technical history(log book) is acceptable as long AD status and life limits can be proven. Current PoH must be present.

Search MSI26 for details.

Clarence

Edited by M20Doc

1 hour ago, RobertGary1 said:

Aren’t there some Canadian stc’s that aren’t allowed in the US and would have to be removed?

-Robert 

The FAA / Transport Canada bilateral agreement covers compatibility of STC’s.

Clarence

We had a guy at our airport do it. This is all second hand but as I recall 

a Canadian licensed pilot had to fly it down because a US pilot cannot fly a C numbered plane in Canada. 

If you declare you’re importing the plane in US customs there is some federal duty on top of normal state taxes. 

A US IA had to do basically an annual to certify the plane was airworthy and confirmed to the type certificate before the N number was issued 

i seem to recall someone here posting they had to remove something that wasn’t approved in the US but approved in Canada. 

-Robert 

5 hours ago, RobertGary1 said:

We had a guy at our airport do it. This is all second hand but as I recall 

a Canadian licensed pilot had to fly it down because a US pilot cannot fly a C numbered plane in Canada. 

If you declare you’re importing the plane in US customs there is some federal duty on top of normal state taxes. 

A US IA had to do basically an annual to certify the plane was airworthy and confirmed to the type certificate before the N number was issued 

i seem to recall someone here posting they had to remove something that wasn’t approved in the US but approved in Canada. 

-Robert 

I poked around a little and it seems that US pilots are able to fly a C aircraft in Canada if you apply for a Foreign License Validation from Transport Canada.  Doesn't work for a commercial pilot, though, so I don't think you could pay a US ferry pilot, you'd have to do it yourself (unless he happened to have a Canadian commercial license).

For me, getting my FAA licence, so I could ferry my Mooney from USA to Canada, meant a trip down in Albany NY to be interviewed by a FAA official, to verify my proficiency in English and a few more questions, 30 minutes total and I was approved. Received my FAA PPL by mail and it is valid under the same conditions and as long as my Canadian PPL is. You can also ask for a FAA CPL, but it involves some more serious testing.