M20J Muffler

Joe Larussa

I had mine rebuilt by Dawley years ago and it has done me well except that the cones have blown out. Everything else looks fine from the outside and camera on the inside (no loose particles on the inside either). It passes a pressure check every year and has no bulges anywhere. I'm just watching mine year to year (minus the cones) to see how things develop. If I ever have to I'll send it back to Dawley. 

1 hour ago, cliffy said:

I had mine rebuilt by Dawley years ago and it has done me well except that the cones have blown out. Everything else looks fine from the outside and camera on the inside (no loose particles on the inside either). It passes a pressure check every year and has no bulges anywhere. I'm just watching mine year to year (minus the cones) to see how things develop. If I ever have to I'll send it back to Dawley. 

Don't those cones need to be there?

Dawley is great for overhaul. I would highly recommend them. If you would like new, call a shop and have them order from Aerospace Welding. If you'll send me a message, I'll be glad to give you pricing (our cost) for a regular, ribbed muffler (we just ordered 1 today). It's not much more than an overhauled unit. We're also a PowerFlow dealer, it is costly but it's a complete system. The flight school planes we've installed them on are lasting til TBO. However, the Mooney exhaust system seems to be inherently problematic - we do at least 1 Mooney annual a week and we're replacing approx +25% of the mufflers. They seem to have a service life (in Lynn's opinion) of about 500hrs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

Another thing, in the giant scheme of things consider this:
In our experience, the stock muffler lasts about 500hrs. Parts and labor costs about $1000 to change it. So, in 2000hrs you've spent around $4000 in exhaust maintenance. The PF system costs relatively the same (it'll be a wash financially) BUT... for 2000hrs you get somewhere along the lines of 18more horsepower (more with the airfilter addition).

Not trying to sell you though

• Like 1

On 9/21/2018 at 3:38 AM, AGL Aviation said:

Another thing, in the giant scheme of things consider this:
In our experience, the stock muffler lasts about 500hrs. Parts and labor costs about $1000 to change it. So, in 2000hrs you've spent around $4000 in exhaust maintenance. The PF system costs relatively the same (it'll be a wash financially) BUT... for 2000hrs you get somewhere along the lines of 18more horsepower (more with the airfilter addition).

Not trying to sell you though emoji6.png

There’s no way a Mooney muffler only last 500 hours. Mine is several years old and I put 600 hours on it and it still going OK. No flame cones  though,  nothing in there to obstruct the outlet of the exhaust and make you crash either . 

1 hour ago, Joe Larussa said:

Pulled the trigger yesterday on the PF. It was about 2200.00 more than the stock exhaust. A hard pill to swallow either way, but at least when it’s done I’ll be excited to pick it up, as apposed to, crap that was expensive and it’s still the same.

Let us know if you see any performance change

Pulled the trigger yesterday on the PF. It was about 2200.00 more than the stock exhaust. A hard pill to swallow either way, but at least when it’s done I’ll be excited to pick it up, as apposed to, crap that was expensive and it’s still the same.

Did they have any in stock, what’s the wait time?

There’s no way a Mooney muffler only last 500 hours. Mine is several years old and I put 600 hours on it and it still going OK. No flame cones  though,  nothing in there to obstruct the outlet of the exhaust and make you crash either . 

Well then I'd say you're very fortunate. There's no way? Please note the 'in our experience' that preluded the 500hr statement. About half the ones we've changed had burned out flame tubes with large sections missing and the other half was due to cracks. Also, the ones replaced were around 500hrs of use (not life of the plane). Once deterioration starts, it doesn't stop when the engine isn't in use. For what it's worth -in our experience- service life of small Piper muffler cans are less.