1973 M20E Just listed

TWinter

Hello fellow MSers. The time has finally come and I've had to make the tough decision to put 7741M on the market. AirMart is listing and brokering the plane for me. Please check-out their page for details. 41M has taken me on many great trips, lots of firsts and good memories. I truly feel this is the plane that got me hooked on flying again. I'm not hanging up the wings, just changing the sight picture for a while.

7741M is a great bird and has no issues. I wouldn't think twice about starting it up in the morning, tossing a flight-plan in the GTN750 and heading out on a long cross-country. It will make someone a great traveling machine. Still have love for the Mooney and I wouldn't be surprised if at some point I don't have another parked in my hanger.

-Tom

Mooney Graet Pic.jpg

First flight.jpg

Money 2.jpg

• Like 6

2 hours ago, tony said:

Love the paint scheme.  Where did you get that done? 

details would help you sell this.  price, hours, etc.......

or a link to your brokers site

The Essentials: $118,000 and Airmart's page:)

Good luck, gorgeous plane, but outside my budget unfortunately. Even if I could sell my RV... :(

Edited by KRviator
  • Like 1

Bought my Saratoga through Airmart in 09 and sold a Cherokee 180 through them a few years back as well. I think Airmart is a first rate operation and like the principal, Grant Southerlin, very much. They very much strive to represent top notch aircraft. Good luck with the sale. You chose a good broker.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, INA201 said:

Nice plane! Looks like a good value.  I’m wondering why they don’t ask more for the J model listed on their site based on what other brokers are asking now.

The avionics I think would justify the price delta between the E and the J.

I actually have far, far more money invested in the plane. The avionics alone are worth more than the plane itself. When Adam and I talked about it and he and I came up with a listing price I was well aware upfront that I was not going to get any real return on all the glass in it. I'm into it well over the $175k mark and probably could back it up with receipts, but we have to be real and I know it is a 1973-74 E model Mooney. You will wait a very long time waiting for a buyer at $175...probably never happen. While it hurts to take a hit like that I'd rather market it at a 'market value" and see someone get a great plane and know it will sell in a realistic time frame.

-Tom

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TWinter said:

The avionics I think would justify the price delta between the E and the J.

I actually have far, far more money invested in the plane. The avionics alone are worth more than the plane itself. When Adam and I talked about it and he and I came up with a listing price I was well aware upfront that I was not going to get any real return on all the glass in it. I'm into it well over the $175k mark and probably could back it up with receipts, but we have to be real and I know it is a 1973-74 E model Mooney. You will wait a very long time waiting for a buyer at $175...probably never happen. While it hurts to take a hit like that I'd rather market it at a 'market value" and see someone get a great plane and know it will sell in a realistic time frame.

-Tom

I think  for sure that you are in good company ( yours truly included;)) with respect to how much you have in your aircraft relative to what the market value is. You are obviously very realistic, a lot of people are not. That said, it looks like prices for good aircraft have come up nicely. 

• Like 4

On 9/20/2018 at 4:31 AM, KRviator said:

The Essentials: $118,000 and Airmart's page:)

Good luck, gorgeous plane, but outside my budget unfortunately. Even if I could sell my RV... :(

I don't think I've ever seen an E for sale for that much. Has anybody else?

Why would you sell your RV? You could make it like this for a whole lot less and probably faster too.

On 9/20/2018 at 7:34 AM, Bravoman said:

That said, it looks like prices for good aircraft have come up nicely. 

Yep, it's turning back into a seller's market. It won't last long though so it's good to sell now. The bubble will burst soon, likely next year and it'll be back to begging people to buy. I probably should sell my plane now and then upgrade after the bust. The only problem is, I want to keep my hangar.

On 9/22/2018 at 12:55 PM, DaV8or said:

Why would you sell your RV? You could make it like this for a whole lot less and probably faster too.

Because I didn't listen to SWMBO when she said "Build a -10". Shortly after I sent the cheque to Van's for the complete RV9 kit, she comes up to me and says 'honey, I'm pregnant...' Now I need *4* seats...

On 9/21/2018 at 10:55 PM, DaV8or said:

Yes.  How'd you miss this thread?  I think it was listed at $175K when it was on the market.  Don't know if it ever sold, can't find it on any of the normal sites.

Cheers,

Brian

• 2 weeks later...

As of yesterday there is a contract and deposit on 7741M. The new prospective owner will check it over next Thursday and probably fly her home. It's been a pleasure to be the steward of 41M for the last 7 years. Lots of great trips, memories and fun times. MS has been a wealth of knowledge and I've made lots of new Mooniac friends. She has taught me a lot over the last 7 years and I can honestly say made me a better pilot. Assuming the deal completes without a hitch I can only hope she treats the new owner with many more years of safe flying and memories. It's been a fun ride. I'll be flying the Twin Comanche for a while, but can't promise there won't be another backward tail in the hanger at some point later down the road. Once you've had a Mooney I'd say it's an addiction of sort.

-Tom

• Like 8

1 hour ago, TWinter said:

I'll be flying the Twin Comanche for a while, but can't promise there won't be another backward tail in the hanger at some point later down the road

Sure, the ink isn't dry on the offer to sell your Mooney and you have already forgotten that the tail is backwards on all OTHER aircraft! 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, JRam said:

Sure, the ink isn't dry on the offer to sell your Mooney and you have already forgotten that the tail is backwards on all OTHER aircraft! 

I still have 6 days to have seller's remorse. My feet are already kind of chilly (cold feet coming). If he finds something he does not like...well, I'd honestly be okay with it. I think I've tried every possible reason to keep it. The struggle is real :)

-Tom

• Like 2

8 hours ago, carusoam said:

Is the buyer an MSer?

A really fancy E like this makes a great retirement plane....

Just ask Bob or Nancy...

Best regards,

-a-

I don't know who he is. The broker put the deal together. I have not met him or spoken to him. All I do know is we have a deposit and signed contract. He plans to pick it up Thursday.

-Tom

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...