Option that KFC 150 is fried

thomas1142

As some might know, my KFC 150 unit got fried. I received a rediculos quote for a replacement which included a core charge that was higher than most avionics units of any sorts. 

Anyway, I started my search for doing some upgrading. Here is my first reply...(used Bonanza pricing for the GFC 500 since not approved for Moonies yet).  

Option 1.    2 x G5 plus the GFC 500 $28k

Option 1.5 (2) G5 plus GFC500 GTN750 GPS/NAV/COM (trade in the 530W) $ 42k

Option 2.   10”  TXi, GFC 500 and 1 x G5 with EIS  approx. 75K

Option 3.   10” TXi, 7” TXi, 1x G5, and the GFC 500 with EIs. approx. $85K

What do you all think?

Option 2 and 3 are a bit more than I’m willing to go for right now. Any other ideas, and shop suggestions?

Thanks

11 minutes ago, thomas1142 said:

As some might know, my KFC 150 unit got fried. I received a rediculos quote for a replacement which included a core charge that was higher than most avionics units of any sorts. 

Anyway, I started my search for doing some upgrading. Here is my first reply...(used Bonanza pricing for the GFC 500 since not approved for Moonies yet).  

What do you all think?

Option 2 and 3 are a bit more than I’m willing to go for right now. Any other ideas, and shop suggestions?

Thanks

:o:o:o:blink:

I haven't priced the TXI, but I think they are high on option 1. I've heard of $12,000-$13,000 GFC500 installs (without G5's). With the g5's that seems high by a few thousand.

On top of that they also aren't doing you any favors on option 1.5

At the shop I use you can get a GTN750 installed for +/- $17,000, without having any other work done on your panel.  Using that number you would only be getting $3000 for your GNS530W. You can easily sell it for $7500.

At those prices, I would seriously call Wentworth and see what the replacement parts for the KFC 150 would cost!:o

Or look at SEAEROSPACE where they show they have stock of the KC 192 for $12,500. Still not cheap, but might be able to swallow that price.

• Like 2

On 9/19/2018 at 4:44 PM, Oldguy said:

At those prices, I would seriously call Wentworth and see what the replacement parts for the KFC 150 would cost!:o

I agree. There are also people taking out perfectly good KFC150 systems.  A used KC192 computer would buy you some time to weight your options.

take a look at the STEC 3100. I believe its getting its STC for the M20 series in Jan, but the GFC500 isn't available for Mooneys yet either.
Personally, I'm liking the 3100 a bit more than the 500, but we'll see as time continues.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Oldguy said:

Or look at SEAEROSPACE where they show they have stock of the KC 192 for $12,500. Still not cheap, but might be able to swallow that price.

The way I was looking at it is that I don’t know/think if it is cost effective to spend that kind of money on a used system that is old in the “tooth” and definetly does not have the capability on newer units. All the other components of the KFC are just as old, so their day is coming also. 

I saw on some other thread that keeping the KFC 150 unit components functioning (rebuilds as required) would cost more than option 1. 

37 minutes ago, LANCECASPER said:

I haven't priced the TXI, but I think they are high on option 1. I've heard of $12,000-$13,000 GFC500 installs (without G5's). With the g5's that seems high by a few thousand.

On top of that they also aren't doing you any favors on option 1.5

At the shop I use you can get a GTN750 installed for +/- $17,000, without having any other work done on your panel.  Using that number you would only be getting $3000 for your GNS530W. You can easily sell it for $7500.

What’s the shop? Maybe they can price out some estimates for me also.

One thing is pretty certain.  Garmin can be depended upon to certify the GFC 500 for the Mooney for many models.  They've had a Bravo since July that they are using to certify it.  It is expected to be completed by the end of the year.  With the new VNAV capability of the GTN 750 only the GFC 500/GFC 600 will be able to couple VNAV.  Wait till that unit is certified and fly without an AP for a few months if you can't find a KC192 for a reasonable price.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, thomas1142 said:

Where did you go for your quote?

Sent out 10 letters asking for bids on a very detailed proposal. These went to well known shops within a 3 hr radius of MI. Current dealer is just an hour south. 

I was very surprised how dealer bids can change over the years. The very same dealer who was most reasonable 6 years ago for a 750/650 install was on the opposite end for the current work and was estimating 150 hrs for the TXI alone. 

7 hours ago, thomas1142 said:

What do you all think?

Thanks

Hi,

The S-TEC 3100 System which will be available 1st quarter starting price is $9995.00 for upgrading from a 55X to a 3 -Axis Standard system Priced at $24,995.00.

If I can help you with any questions please call me at 940.327.0707 or email me direct: barry.leblanc@genesys-aerosystems.com

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MIm20c said:

Sent out 10 letters asking for bids on a very detailed proposal. These went to well known shops within a 3 hr radius of MI. Current dealer is just an hour south. 

I was very surprised how dealer bids can change over the years. The very same dealer who was most reasonable 6 years ago for a 750/650 install was on the opposite end for the current work and was estimating 150 hrs for the TXI alone. 

PM sent

On 9/19/2018 at 5:14 PM, thomas1142 said:

What do you all think?

Thanks

Obviously with unlimited funds, 3 is a super easy choice, that’s a sweet gear stack.  

For the practical side, 1.5 strikes a really good balance of functionality, cost and future support, it’s exactly what my 231 will be in a couple of months.

Related, I’ll have some KFC150 components available in 2-3 months.  

1.5 is where I am leaning also. The cost seems a bit high based on option 1. Sarasota Avionics has a special on a 750 swap with a 530w for $8.5k installed.  I have other quotes for just 2 x G5’s in stalled for around 9k, so that would seem place the GFC 500 at about 20k installed, seems a bit high also.