Do you like your Aspen MFD?

DXB

3 hours ago, Marauder said:

I’ll take a closer look at mine and snap a couple close ups. There should not be any old holes behind mine. It is a fresh cut panel.

4503999ad9e4d201b27a75debfdba2af.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Did you have to buy flush mounts from Aspen? If so, how much? Or did your shop fabricate what hold them behind the panel?

6 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

Did you have to buy flush mounts from Aspen? If so, how much? Or did your shop fabricate what hold them behind the panel?

Off memory I think it was around 1k for three of the flush mounts.  I was planning having the panel fabricator make a one piece U bracket with the standard 6 pack cutout. With all the displays mounted I would then mark for the attachment screws to make sure everything lined up. 

1 hour ago, MIm20c said:

Off memory I think it was around 1k for three of the flush mounts.  I was planning having the panel fabricator make a one piece U bracket with the standard 6 pack cutout. With all the displays mounted I would then mark for the attachment screws to make sure everything lined up. 

Yeah when I decide to flush mount mine, I would hate to pay an extra $1000 just for three brackets.

27 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

I can't imagine spending the kind of money it takes to go glass... and then not flush mounting? An extra grand seems like not much since you're already $40K into it.

I originally flew for 4 years with my Aspens prominent in the panel. I found that with the short throw of the yoke, it was a little tight to get my mongo hand around my iPad to make adjustments. The extra inch recession makes a world of difference. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Marauder said:

I originally flew for 4 years with my Aspens prominent in the panel. I found that with the short throw of the yoke, it was a little tight to get my mongo hand around my iPad to make adjustments. The extra inch recession makes a world of difference. 

And it just looks so much better.

1840039311_IMG_2511(1).thumb.jpg.5ac9c8dfcfc4a24299341d5ffe35a33d.jpg

1 hour ago, gsxrpilot said:

I can't imagine spending the kind of money it takes to go glass... and then not flush mounting? An extra grand seems like not much since you're already $40K into it.

The flush mount depth and cutouts are the same.  However, with three displays next to each other a continuous setback panel will work the same and would be easy to fab when the panel is being cut. 

On 9/21/2018 at 7:14 AM, larryb said:

That Straubing unit is very basic. Reading the datasheet, all it does is press the altitude hold button when the Aspen beeps it's sonalert as you arrive at altitude.

I have a Straubing unit together with my Aspen PFD1000, S-TEC 55x and the altitude capture works very well, however I do not know how it plays with King autopilots.  The only bugbear is having to press a stand alone installed button in the panel every time to arm the capture after the altitude is set in the Aspen and then press the VS and ALT buttons on the autopilot to complete the arming process.  After the 3100 is installed I won't need the Straubing unit and it will be removed. 

On 9/21/2018 at 2:07 AM, MIm20c said:

However, having large certified screens to show a wx500, traffic, and weather is definitely worth it.

I'm holding off to see what happens as there are rumours around this part of the world that Aspen will be releasing a unit with a larger screen sometime next year. I'm hoping it will at least be a PFD and MFD combo with other possible additions, but I'm only guessing.

If any MSers are close to the scene at Albuquerque (@Jeev?) who might be able to find out more info?

2 minutes ago, Mooney in Oz said:

I'm holding off to see what happens as there are rumours around this part of the world that Aspen will be releasing a unit with a larger screen sometime next year. I'm hoping it will at least be a PFD and MFD combo with other possible additions, but I'm only guessing.

I talked with one of the head engineers about 6 months ago. He told me about the max upgrade months before it was released. I asked him directly about a double width or larger unit. He said they were looking into the possibility of adding one but it will be a ways off. 

My guess is they have their hands full with getting out the E5, the max units, the AP interface upgrades, etc. Guessing I’d say 2-3 years off...

12 minutes ago, MIm20c said:

I talked with one of the head engineers about 6 months ago. He told me about the max upgrade months before it was released. I asked him directly about a double width or larger unit. He said they were looking into the possibility of adding one but it will be a ways off. 

My guess is they have their hands full with getting out the E5, the max units, the AP interface upgrades, etc. Guessing I’d say 2-3 years off...

Months ago, I spoke to one of their sales staff who told me he in turn recently spoke to one of their engineers who mentioned it was only about 12 months away.  Either way,  I think that your guess of 2-3 years is not far off the mark because as we know from the past, it always takes longer than anticipated.  There was a thread on BT about it a few months ago, but as I don't look at that forum all that often, I don't know what the final consensus was.

If it happens, I hope Aspen have not left their run too late.  

On 9/23/2018 at 6:52 AM, Mooney in Oz said:

I have a Straubing unit together with my Aspen PFD1000, S-TEC 55x and the altitude capture works very well, however I do not know how it plays with King autopilots.  The only bugbear is having to press a stand alone installed button in the panel every time to arm the capture after the altitude is set in the Aspen and then press the VS and ALT buttons on the autopilot to complete the arming process.  After the 3100 is installed I won't need the Straubing unit and it will be removed. 

If any MSers are close to the scene at Albuquerque (@Jeev?) who might be able to find out more info?

I will work on it as I have been meaning to take a factory tour but I’m at least a 5-6 weeks out before I can make it out there.

• Thanks 1

On 9/21/2018 at 9:01 AM, gsxrpilot said:

I will go flush mount and clean up the panel when I do the next phase, which is taking out my JPI-700, Shadin Fuel Flow computer and engine instruments and putting in a JPI 900. That will involve new CIES senders also. Everything I have works now, and when I put the Aspens in I didn't want the airplane tied up for everything at once, since it had been down earlier this year for the Bravo conversion. 

I want to put enough thought into it so I only have to cut a new left panel one time.

1094766588_N134JFSeptember2018panel.thumb.jpg.e165fee73eee2feb56264dc5f36b4fa0.jpg

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, LANCECASPER said:

I will go flush mount and clean up the panel when I do the next phase, which is taking out my JPI-700, Shadin Fuel Flow computer and engine instruments and putting in a JPI 900. That will involve new CIES senders also. Everything I have works now, and when I put the Aspens in I didn't want the airplane tied up for everything at once, since it had been down earlier this year for the Bravo conversion. 

I want to put enough thought into it so I only have to cut a new left panel one time.

1094766588_N134JFSeptember2018panel.thumb.jpg.e165fee73eee2feb56264dc5f36b4fa0.jpg

That makes sense. The EDM 900 will free up a lot of space and then you'll need the new panel cut.

10 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

That makes sense. The EDM 900 will free up a lot of space and then you'll need the new panel cut.

Yes it will and it will look nice!  JPI just told me they are bringing back their instant rebates as of 10/1/18 until 1.31.19, that is $400 off the EDM 900.  PM me if you want more info :).

Sanjeev

11 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

I noticed you have the Aspens (obviously :D), IFD540 and the GTX-345.  Are you able to get the traffic and weather from the 345 on all your displays or did you have to pick either the IFD or aspens since they communicate at different BAUD rates?  I am looking at a similar set up with less Aspens and curious, thanks.